Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 am

Sooooo, thanks to the fickle tides of love that flow through a certain Admiral's veins, I have been bequeathed a bunch of trollbloods, mine to do with as I see fit, so long as I paint em. (Just to clarify, he bought them to spite his life partner GW. He's largely indifferent to me, personally :lol: )

What I was wondering was: since I already own the Warmachine book, is there much point in me forking out 27quid for the Hordes book? So far as I can tell the only differences lie in the way Warlocks/Warcasters work. i.e. pages 73 to 82 of the Hordes rulebook.

Can anyone out there with more experience of the game (ToD? ennui?) please confirm for me that these are the only different rules I will have to wrap my head around? (Although I should say that reading through the Hordes book was rather beneficial for me. I realised I've been using my warwitch siren and soul hunters completely wrong, and that they are actually a good deal better than I had thought. +2S on the charge? yes please!)

Thanks in advance :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:58 am

Yeah, the core rules are exactly the same - the differences are "just" between the Focus and the Fury resource mechanics (that includes a couple of wrinkles in the way beasts work as well, so it's not just limited to how war<foo>s work). BUT, you really do need to know those differences back to front when you play, and AFAIK the only way to get the rules is in the book.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, the core rules are exactly the same - the differences are "just" between the Focus and the Fury resource mechanics (that includes a couple of wrinkles in the way beasts work as well, so it's not just limited to how war<foo>s work). BUT, you really do need to know those differences back to front when you play, and AFAIK the only way to get the rules is in the book.
This. Also, animii work differently.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:58 am

Cheers folks. I PMd ToD and the situation is now clarified. Thanks for the input. :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”