The Mountain King!

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
Danguinius
Veteran

The Mountain King!

Post by Danguinius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:42 am

I`m even happier Trollbloods are my Hordes faction now. Privateer Press has revealed models for three of the six Colossals and now the first of (how many?) Gargantuas: The Mountain King. This model is so F-ing cool! I love it!

http://privateerpress.com/community/pri ... -4-19-2012

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Mountain King!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am

BoooowhaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAA!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, I too have trollbloods. I can't call myself a player yet, as I haven't actually played with em, but there's about 25~30pts of em in various stages of assembly in my painty room, so ya can't call me a bandwagonner just cos I saw the nice megadeathtroll :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am

can't argue that it's not a cool model, it is cool and puts the colossals to shame. I would love to see that thing going up against me at some point. just not my cup of tea as far as models go for painting or collecting.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 am

Well, I love it...even if it does look vaguely like Doomsday (the super-cheezy villain DC comics invented to kill Superman 20 years ago - holy crap, has it really been 20 years? I`m old). It doesn`t help that the Mountain King is painted almost exactly the same colors as Doomsday. Or, maybe this was intentional. My trolls use a similar base color (but a little more greyish) and I`ll probably paint his mountain a different color. Oh, and my Whelps look much different...so my Mountain King will look even cooler (hopefully).

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Colonel Voss wrote:can't argue that it's not a cool model
I can. :) It's big, but not that cool. The Cryx and Everblight thingies are cool - they'd be attention-grabbing even if they were an inch tall - but this just looks like every other troll.

Something that is cool:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI]In The Hall of the Mountain King[/i]

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I dunno - just cos its big doesnt automatically mean it isnt cool. I think in this case its both. I mean, what else were they going to do for the uber troll? Its big, it looks like a troll. its the uber troll. jobs a good un, I say.

btw, wheres the cryx colossal? i cant find it...

*edit* never mind, found it. Odd looking bugger, aint it? Kinda 1950's B-movie feel to it. Not sure if it says "cryx" to me, though...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I dunno - just cos its big doesn't automatically mean it isn't cool.
I don't remember ever making such a claim. :)
I think in this case it's both.
Good for you. :)
I mean, what else were they going to do for the uber troll?
That's one of the things that irks me about Warmachine - every faction has to have one of everything, with the exception of light 'jacks in Khador and medium-based infantry in Cygnar.

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I dunno - just cos its big doesnt automatically mean it isnt cool. I think in this case its both. I mean, what else were they going to do for the uber troll? Its big, it looks like a troll. its the uber troll. jobs a good un, I say.

btw, wheres the cryx colossal? i cant find it...

*edit* never mind, found it. Odd looking bugger, aint it? Kinda 1950's B-movie feel to it. Not sure if it says "cryx" to me, though...
Reminds me of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, not in a good way.
-Alten Ashley

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah, only so many places you can go with Trolls (usually, Trolls or Buffalos), at least the battle engine was a little different. But the again, I like the cohesiveness of the Trollbloods and the design; for once, Trolls aren`t just big dumb targets in a fantasy game. I think the Mountain King is the best model yet, for the Trollbloods - great, dynamic pose, loads of detail, interesting conversion possibilities (I`m sure everyone has seen the diorama from Adepticon where The Mountain King is holding an uprooted tree and looks like he`s going to beat someone with it.

I loved the art for the Cryx colossal when it was first released, but the model is not as great as that artwork, in my opinion. I wanted a land-squid. I guess they kept the crab legs for cohesiveness as well - y`know, to make it look like the crab-jacks. Some info on that model has been leaked though (19 points, SPD 5, possibly super 4" reach).

BTW, I still don`t get why people use "every faction has the same tools" excuse to criticize PP games. Welcome to table top wargaming - this is true of all games. In other news, Tyranids have a transport vehicle, Grey Knights have a montrous creature, and Space Wolves have cavalry! And the few armies that don`t have flyers yet...will get them. We all know this will happen. All 40K armies now have the same options...and don`t even get me started on WFB. These facts do not prevent me from enjoying these games. If you want diverity in your army - if you want it to be "unique" and different than other people`s armies - PP games are still the best for this (among the gaming systems I`m familiar with) due to the effect that changing your warcaster or warlock has on army composition and army playstyle.

Danguinius

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 am

I did enjoy reading the story line for the trollbloods. You're right it is good to see them not be the dumb monster of the army for a change. As an army, they are an interesting faction with a lot of good options. They just don't resonate with me as a player, thus not in my to collect. However I do look forward to you plopping that beast down fully painted in front of my Khador.

I do agree with you that just because everyone has similar models doesn't mean that they have the same tools. Ret Halbadiers work very different from IFP even though they both have shield wall. Trolls and Khaodr both got warwagons though they work very differently. Yes we all have similar base sizes but that doesn't mean they are the same. 40k and fantasy are the same I think. And it makes sense with the larger models as everyone wants a centerpiece option for their army and that's what these are really.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”