Pre-measuring

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Pre-measuring

Post by Primarch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Well, I have played 4 games so far and I have come to the conclusion that using the "control range" check to pre-measure everything doesn't sit well with me.

Lets take two other games as examples
40k - No pre-measuring anything.
FoW - You can pre-measure when you like.

Both systems set things out nice and clearly and apply things equally to all concerned. Using the "You can check your control range at any time rule" just seems....cheesey. I'm not sure what PP's official stance on this is, but surely if they wanted you to be able to premeasure half of the game, they would say that you could.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ennui
Veteran

Re: Pre-measuring

Post by ennui » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

A quick search on the PP forums brought up a recent thread with basically the exact same question.

Here's a typical answer:
Actually, this is perfectly legal. The rules say you can measure your control area at any time, for any reason. The only caveat is that you need to share the measurement with your opponent. See Prime p. 75.

You can measure the control area of your models [which have a control area, i.e., warcasters and warlocks] at any time for any reason.
Here's the full thread:
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthr ... g+distance

As for what I think, I'm ok with it. It's still guesswork when measuring things that aren't your 'caster, and if you're good at guesstimating, you might not even need it. I guess fluffwise, the 'caster always has a feeling about the range of their powers. Or something. ;)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't say "cheesy" since it doesn't give an advantage on account of everyone can do it, but it's an uncharacteristically half-assed ruling on PP's part - and yeah, the vast majority of the time it's used to eyeball charge ranges or weapon ranges. I'd be perfectly happy to say "measure only when an effect goes off or during focus allocation" personally.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:36 pm

I reckon its fine when its something your warcaster is doing. As someone already said - they "have a feel for whats going on inside their control area". I mean, thats why its their control area - theyre in control of it, and can sense whats going on there. Measuring unit A charging unit B just cos its inside warcaster C's control area seems a bit hum to me, but pre-measuring anything warcaster C is doing (charging, shooting, casting etc) is fine, i reckon.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Well you couldn't premeasure model A's charge to B, but warcaster C could see what model A was up to, quickly gauge the situation, then yell, 'Go for it! Smash him!'

Yarrick60
Rookie

Post by Yarrick60 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am

yes it is true, it´s difficult to know where is the limit. If you miss one charge maybe you lost the game, so some times you will not charge without measuring before, but rules are rules and if your opponent could do the same..., I think it ´s not problem.
Anyway,l I feel bad when I am measuring my control area and sometimes I forget it. I think this is the problem if you came from Warhammer.
Warhammer: Imperial Guard Vostroya firsts born, Blood Angels 3th Company
Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
My Blog: http://doctoradoenjapon.mideann.net/

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:20 pm

The Other Dave wrote: I'd be perfectly happy to say "measure only when an effect goes off or during focus allocation" personally.
I have no problem with measuring your control distance when you need to measure it. But measuring it to line up charges etc just seems lame to me.
Oh well, I guess those are the rules so I have to learn to accept it.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”