MK III on the way

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
The Underdweller
Legend

Re: MK III on the way

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Having the extra Fury/Focus will sure be nice!

I hope they are not encouraging larger games too much, though, as it already takes quite a long time to play high points games. Unless they radically change the rules, I can't see that changing a lot.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm

I too hope they steer clear of pushing for bigger games. I'm not even that happy about the extra fury/focus. I kinda liked having to choose how you used your resources. With all jacks now getting free focus, it becomes a bit...All the Power, ALL THE TIME! GO GO MAGIC SPELLJACKS. I mean, it is losing subtlety and heading towards just blarting spells everywhere.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:45 am

Well, bigger is a yes and no. 75 is the new 50 they said. But that is because they are redoing the point balance so you'll still be taking the same amount of models as you were in the 50 point game.

As for fury allocation, remember that the jack points you will be getting will be going up. That means you'll have more choices to make about where you put your focus and you can spread it around a bit more.

From everything I have read, this seems to be about bringing more diversity to the field. So far I like where they are going with it.

As a player, I've amassed several small factions and the giant Khador faction. With incoming cash so low for me, it puts me in a rather interesting position. I know that in the end, I'll sell Khador as the red paint I was using is no longer made and I don't want the hassle of repainting. With regards to everything else, it's a who knows where I will go for my main.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:43 am

I played two 75-point games of mkIII yesterday (and watched another). The games run just like 50-games did in mkII. We also used the new 2016 Steamroller scenarios. There was no appreciable level of power increase or an increase of models on the table. If you are already familiar with mkII rules, then you are almost better off just studying the changes in the rules (from mkII to mkIII) as the over all system is pretty similar. Also, you just need to be familiar with the changes to each of the units in your army. After using the new War Room 2 app to keep track of damage and such all day, I can say: I prefer using the cards (which I should get in about 2 weeks). My first impressions of this new edition is: it's harder to skew. You really need to bring mixed arms to win. My Trollblood traded shots with a Cygnar army and didn't come out too bad. I played against a Menoth army with almost no shooting and my TBs really shot them up so that by the time our lines clashed, the Trolls were already way up on attrition. Overall, it was a lot of fun!

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:52 pm

After finally reading over the changes (not the whole book), it doesn't look much different. Having to take a mixed force sounds good. The extra power to shooting with ROF not costing anything is great. I was wondering about the +5 armour per focus part (assuming I read it right) sounds like fighty warcaster may be quite powerful.
I also like animi counting as spells sounds good to me. All in all, it should be good. I too am not that interested in playing larger battles. That's one reason I got into it was for the lower mini count.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Ooh, 'allo dan - long time no post. Good to see you, and also thanks for the info re WMH3. opinions from someone who's actually played it are good things :)

I got WarRoom2 and the Cryx deck. I agree that things dont seem to radically changed (but they nerfed the Coven! *sob*) and that things appeaaaar to play much as they did before. I need to look through the new rules properly, or maybe find some kind of resource that lists all the changes. Anyway. Cautious thumbs up from me for now.

btw, where are folks thinking to get new rulebooks/decks from? Just wondering if anybody has any preferred retailers, is all :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 pm

@MIJ: I usually get Warmachine stuff at Ringtail games

http://www.ring-tail.com/shop.php#english

I've ordered several times from there and never had any complaints.
Although if you have a credit card and can shop overseas there may be better deals.

@Dungeon Lord: I think it is that you can trade one Focus to heal 5 Wounds, and that Focus doesn't add to armour anymore.

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:52 pm

@ Underdweller: Oh. That is better. Still 5 wounds is quite a lot, but it should make caster kills easier if they don't had to armour anymore.

@ MIJ: I use Firestorm Games. You recommended them actually. From the look of things, I will probably be able to get away with the PDF rulebook on my tablet for quite a long time as I will only need it for looking up things occasionally.

The higher points values look like the actual size of the game won't change much. Just the points total. That's nice to know. Will hopefully get a good deal of reading in tomorrow.

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 am

Does anyone know if there are Japanese rules somewhere?

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”