MK III on the way

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
Colonel Voss

MK III on the way

Post by Colonel Voss » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 pm

It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: MK III on the way

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:24 am

Not sure how I feel about this. Obvs, it was going to happen eventually, but I play WMH so rarely these days that a new book feels like an annoying necessity rather than something to get excited about. Also, vexed that my WarRoom cards will be invalidated and I'll have to buy a new digital deck if I want to keep using the app as I do now (i.e. For general reference).

Meh, I suppose a new book isn't a major disaster. I'll get round to buying it at some point. Or, they can offer a free promo mini like Corvus Belli do. Man, I am a sucker for a free promo mini... :oops:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 am

Well the rules will be posted free on their android program and for download.

Cards, yeah a bugger but I hope they'll update the program's cards saving me a lot of money for once.
-Alten Ashley

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 am

I'll take a look at the rules, but I doubt they'll be changing the general feel and approach, so I suspect I still won't be interested in this edition either. :) I'm certainly not interested in the new Menoth starter box!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 am

Any idea if the opponent will have anything to do during the other players turn beyond holding the marker pen?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:18 pm

And here I was thinking how nice it was that I didn't have to learn new Warmachine rules every few years! I suppose it is inevitable, though.

@Primarch, if you choose the right units, for example Reznik, the Vassal of Menoth, or the Exemplar Errants, there are out of turn actions you can take in Mark II. I tend to use the time to plan what I will do in my upcoming turn.

Really, though, I feel 40K is quite similar, as there is not much to do in your opponents turn other than armour saves?

Edit: Other than the assault phase, of course. I am obviously a Tau player :)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 pm

The Underdweller wrote:And here I was thinking how nice it was that I didn't have to learn new Warmachine rules every few years! I suppose it is inevitable, though.

@Primarch, if you choose the right units, for example Reznik, the Vassal of Menoth, or the Exemplar Errants, there are out of turn actions you can take in Mark II. I tend to use the time to plan what I will do in my upcoming turn.

Really, though, I feel 40K is quite similar, as there is not much to do in your opponents turn other than armour saves?

Edit: Other than the assault phase, of course. I am obviously a Tau player :)
I think the first edition of WM came out around 2002ish. Definitely before I left the UK. I guess the 2nd edition has been around for a while. I wonder what they felt needed a new edition to improve it. Aside from my one gripe about the game, it seemed like a fairly solid set of rules.

Sadly, the interaction issue is what is keeping me out if WM/H. (Well that and their decision to use that horrid restic material). Notice that I am not playing much 40K these days either. It's not that I think WM/H is a bad game, I just feel that it is lacking an element that I want in the games I play.

The minis everyone already has should still be useable once you get the new decks of cards, so it's not like there will be a massive outlay to play the new version. Fingers crossed it will be another solid set of rules that everyone can enjoy using.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 am

Most likely it won't bring major changes, and this new edition is just something they feel they need for a new-player bump and to consolidate things like colossals and war engines into the core rules. Without an occasional new edition for a game the rules get bloated over time with supplements accumulating over the years until it gets out of hand. (although thanks to the card system, it's not like the supplements are required purchases). 2nd ed has been here for 6 years, btw - I know that because I started when it first came out. As I understand it there will be new core books for WM and H, and faction decks available for all factions at launch containing cards for every currently available unit. WarRoom will have a new app, where you can buy the new decks. Existing WR deck owners get a discount, and anybody who bought a new deck as of January gets upgraded to the new ones for free (which is nice of them.) There will also be new faction starter boxes with a new caster for each faction.

So, for most of us this just means a new rulebook and faction deck, with hopefully the rules for colossals and war engines included. Maybe a tweak or two, stat wise (speculation).

Personally, while I agree that games with more interaction are fun, I actually dont mind the I go you go type of game either. It gives you time to plan your turn. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer planning/strategy/seeing it all come together versus a more reactive system that calls on you to tweak your plan on the fly a bit more. Certainly the latter reflects the realities of an actual battle much better, but there's fun to be had in either style, I reckon.

Hopefully this new system doesn't rock the boat too much, while remaining attractive to new players. I really like my Cryx - the game has a kinda cartoony vibe that I enjoy painting, and the rules are solid, and I'm looking forward to playing it more when it cycles around again to be my game-of-the-month. So many games, so little time...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:30 am

Well, it seems like they're pushing players to use/buy more warjacks/beasts...

http://privateerpress.com/community/pri ... 04-13-2016

tl:dr - all warjacks get a point of focus automatically, greater warbeasts still generate a point of fury even if they're dead.

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:53 am

They've increased the jack/beast points you get. The box sets apparently will give you all the jack points for the caster, so if points stay the same, we're looking at 15-20 odd points per caster/lock.

Revisions to the large based stuff. I am also guessing they'll change the large battle systems and streamlining the rules better.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”