The Japan Open 4

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
Danguinius
Veteran

The Japan Open 4

Post by Danguinius » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:11 am

Greetings (again),

We are now announcing that this year's Japan Open of WarmaHordes will again be held in Fukuyama. Last year we had 22 of Japan's finest players duke it out over 4 rounds of play. This year will will do the same but there will be some slight changes (75 points, 2 lists, Divide & Conquer, etc.)...here are the details:

Event: The 4th Annual Japan Open - War Machine & Hordes Championship Tournament
Date: Sunday, October 9th, 2016
Time: 9:00 doors open, 9:15 registration begins; 9:45 tournament starts
Place: Fukuyama Civic Center (located just behind Fukuyama Castle, a 5-minute walk from Fukuyama station). It`s the same place as the first three Japan Opens
Players: 16+ players can participate this year – but each year we have gotten more and more players.
Cost: 1500 yen per player. 1500 yen is for the tournament on Sunday, October 9th. There will also be free play on Monday, October 10th for 500 yen...yes, that is a national holiday. We will probably also have a "nomikai" on the evening of Sunday, October 9th, but I haven`t heard anything about the place, time, or cost of this yet.

Materials: The tournament organizer will provide mats, terrain, and zone markers. Players are responsible for their own materials as written in the 2016-17 Steamroller rule pack.
Rules: This will be a 4-round tournament played under the 2016-17 Steamroller rules. The tournament will follow the “Divide & Conquer” format (so, each list must be used at least once). Players must bring two 75-point lists from the same WarMachine or Hordes faction following the rules listed in the Steamroller rule pack (check these rules for free on the Privateer Press site). These lists must be submitted (to Gannon) by October 3rd using the form available on the Privateer Press site (look under Organized Play - Steamroller). Note: This tournament using the Hardcore painting requirements (i.e. fully painted) and based, with the front arc of each model painted or otherwise marked.

Prizes: Pins/medals (still checking out the changes to this year's Steamroller prize support) will be given to the top 3 finishers (to be determined according the 2016-17 Steamroller criteria). In addition, there may be a “booby prize” for one particularly unlucky player. Further, two more pins/medals will be warded to two players (who did not finish in the top 3) for "best painted army" and "best sportsmanship".
Eric Perez - tournament organizer (vigilantecowboy@hotmail.com)
Daniel McCartney (rodserling@hotmail.com)
Keiichirou Yamada (eaac6185@mb.infoweb.ne.jp)
“Tetsu” Michiura (yfe56169@nifty.com)

This is meant to be a 4-round, one-day event. Last year, even with 22 players, we could crown a champion with 4 rounds of play. We have decided to limit it to 4 rounds (one day), no matter what. So, even in the unlikely event that two players are still undefeated after 4 rounds of play, a champion will be chosen according to the criteria listed in the 2016-17 Steamroller rules
Each round is a maximum of two hours, 60 minutes and 60 minutes on each side of the deathclock. Model set-up is also done on this time. Each turn must be a minimum 15 seconds long. When both players have less than 5 minutes left on their deathclocks, a judge should be present to regulate time use.

First Round
9:45~11:45

Lunch
11:45~12:45

Second Round
12:45~14:45

Third Round
14:45~16:45

Fourth Round
16:45~18:45

Awards, Announcements, Clean-up
19:00~19:30

Last year, despite another increase in participation (22 players), we (sadly) had no players from Nagoya, as we have had in previous years. So, we hope some players from the Nagoya area are ready to step up to the plate and do battle. PM me or Gannon if you are interested in getting in on the action.

Danguinius

P.S. Updated information on September 5th, 2016
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Danguinius
Veteran

Re: The Japan Open 4

Post by Danguinius » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:00 am

Bumped!

I updated some of the information. TL/DR as below

Cost for the tournament is 1500.
Lists must be submitted early. This is to expedite the registration process on game day.
The tourney WILL be 4 rounds regardless and a single winner will be determined.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:02 pm

I hope everything goes smoothly for you Dan. We are still playing Warmachine out this way. Not so many of us, but I hope to see it grow.

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 am

Just a follow up on the Japan Open 4...

We had a good turnout of 18 players, all with fully painted WMH armies. The current meta is pretty Warmachine heavy and that was visible in the turnout: 15 Warmachine armies, only 3 Hordes armies.

The Top 5 Ended up looking like this:

1. Trollbloods (Osaka player)
2. Convergence of Cyriss (Hiroshima player)
3. Cryx (Tokyo player)
4. Khador (Hiroshima player)
5. Trollbloods (a very tall player from Fukuyama)

We also gave out awards from painting and sportsmanship (the new Privateer Press trophies are actually medals!)

At the after-tourney "nomikai", we discussed about what to do with next year's Japan Open. We decided to try a team tournament! 5-person team tournaments (like the World Team Championships) are common, but we decided to go with 3-person teams next year. It should be a lot of fun! Our goal is to get 8 teams. Of course, we hope to see a Nagoya team there!

Danguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 am

Thanks for the update, Dan. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make it *fingers crossed*
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:35 am

I hope you can make it down here as well. If you can, start organizing a team (3 people, two lists each).

Here is a link to some photos from the Japan Open 4.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136987492 ... 1687842673

Danguinius

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am

I hope I'll be able to go as well, assuming I can hitch a ride with someone. Now we potentially only need 1 more player...

Glad to hear you are still getting a good turnout for these, Dan!

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”