PP Organized Play Tournament Thingies

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

PP Organized Play Tournament Thingies

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 am

Over in the "Whaddaya Want?" thread, I brought up Privateer Press organized play, Prim asked me to expound, et voila, here I am. Basically, this is just a thread to inform organizer-ly folks what kinds of organized play PP supports.

First off, both kinds of organized play need, as far as I know, either a venue (read: store) or an official Press Ganger (read: PP's version of Outriders) to be "official," but as long as we don't care about that it's easy enough to do unofficially. Anyone more in the know, feel to correct me - some comments in the pdfs seem to indicate that having a club may be enough, and we certainly qualify for that. (Benefits of being official are some rather nice awards and trophies that PP'll send to the organizer to hand out to the winners - for a nominal fee, of course.)

The first big thing they have is Steamroller Tournaments (see here for a pdf explaining all the official 2010 rules), which seems to fit our needs pretty nicely - it's all about getting a lot of gaming into a short time with cool scenarios and a nice system for matching up opponents of similar skill levels.

The second thing, which probably isn't viable for the way we play, is their campaign system (more info here, under Summer Rampage and Shattered Grounds). These are traditionally three-week long "play as much as you can" campaigns with an overarching campaign story - each week has a different set of special scenarios and rules to reflect the ongoing story. Obviously, as we don't meet anything like once a week, this would be hard to do without modifying it heavily, but it's a pretty neat system.

So that's that! A Steamroller tournament might be a neat thing to do on one of the two days of the winter event. Counting the Japanese guys, I'm sure we'd have well more than 8 players, and I imagine it would be a good incentive to get some intercultural game on.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Yarrick60
Rookie

Re: PP Organized Play Tournament Thingies

Post by Yarrick60 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:04 am

This event will be moved to November? Together with Hallo-War? I am interesting to join and I would like to know exactly the data, just to planning my schedule.

Thanks
Warhammer: Imperial Guard Vostroya firsts born, Blood Angels 3th Company
Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
My Blog: http://doctoradoenjapon.mideann.net/

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:15 am

I dont think there is a Warmahordes event planned yet, but I'm very keen to attend when it happens. I'll pester Primarch every time I see him from now until he organises one for us :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 am

I'm holding off setting a definite date until the two following conditions can be met
A) I can get to the event hall to book it
B) I can afford to book it.

The hall starts taking reservations for Golden Week on the 2nd of Oct so I HAVE to pay for NagoyaHammer then. (and that is a SERIOUS investment). In Nov I will try and book an event for Jan/Feb for Warmahordes etc.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Fair enough, fair enough.

out of interest, are there no alternative venues that could be used? I mean, i dunno, maybe there arent, but as you say, the bunka hall is quite pricey. We dont need nuffink fancy, like.

also btw, Jan Feb is fine for me. March is a no-no, as I will be in Australia at that point.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:35 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Fair enough, fair enough.

out of interest, are there no alternative venues that could be used? I mean, i dunno, maybe there arent, but as you say, the bunka hall is quite pricey. We dont need nuffink fancy, like.

also btw, Jan Feb is fine for me. March is a no-no, as I will be in Australia at that point.
The current place is located as close to a big hub station as possible so it is easily accessible. The tables are all the right size and very sturdy so there is less chance of someone doing a "john." There are places in Nagoya that will hire a room out for less, but they are further from the station and some can be a downright pain to get to. Plus, I like fancy. Its nice to play in a well furnished, stylish room for a change.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Yarrick60
Rookie

Post by Yarrick60 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Jan Feb it will be nice for me too. Maybe we can join 4 or more people from Okayama warmahordes club :P , well we are not really a club but will see.
Warhammer: Imperial Guard Vostroya firsts born, Blood Angels 3th Company
Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
My Blog: http://doctoradoenjapon.mideann.net/

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 am

Yes, I think it`s okay to refer to it as an official gaming circle. You can`t descriminate against us just because we only play Bloodbowl, WarMachine and Hordes! :)

Actually, Yarrick is just bored with kicking my ass all of the time in WarMachine and he wants some new competition! :D WarMachine and/o 40K, Yarrick and I are talking about when would be a good time to go up and game with you guys again. Of course, we are planning to go up their at Golden Week next year for the (hopefully) Team Tourney. But we were thinking about going up their Nov., Dec. or Jan. dending on your guys and our guys schedules. What do you think?

Danginius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Danguinius wrote:Yes, I think it`s okay to refer to it as an official gaming circle. You can`t descriminate against us just because we only play Bloodbowl, WarMachine and Hordes! :)

Actually, Yarrick is just bored with kicking my ass all of the time in WarMachine and he wants some new competition! :D WarMachine and/o 40K, Yarrick and I are talking about when would be a good time to go up and game with you guys again. Of course, we are planning to go up their at Golden Week next year for the (hopefully) Team Tourney. But we were thinking about going up their Nov., Dec. or Jan. dending on your guys and our guys schedules. What do you think?

Danginius
You guys are always welcome here in Nagoya. I'll try and get something fixed up for Jan/Feb. I'm off to book the rooms for Golden Week tomorrow and that is swallowing all my petty cash for a few weeks.

When is best for everyone for a Warmahordes day? Jan? Feb? Get your votes in now and I'll see what I can do.
If you do come up to Nagoya in the meantime, put up a post and we'll organise something.

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”