Warmachine/Hordes Tournaments?

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
ennui
Veteran

Re: Warmachine/Hordes Tournaments?

Post by ennui » Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm

me_in_japan wrote:oooh. Must...resist...low....pound....lovely...Cryx...models....gnghgnghnghn

OK, I have some questions before I damn myself by buying in to a new game.

1) Whats the difference between a regular Warcaster and the epic version. e.g. Iron Lich Asphyxious vs LIch Lord Asphyxious?
As of Mark II, the only difference is that of abilities; they tend to be SLIGHTLY different, though not necessarily more/less powerful. It used to be that you could only use an Epic version in a high point game, but now you can use either version anytime you want. Basically the Epics just represent the same character at a different time in the story; i.e., Epic Stryker is after he gets all Emo after seeing a church burnt down with kids inside and whatnot.
me_in_japan wrote:2) Visually, it looks like there are factions-within-factions. E.g the kinda piratey looking Cryx, the kinda big-mecha looking cryx, witchy cryx, and the kinda wierdy metal buggy looking cryx. Is this difference just aesthetic, or are people going to gripe at me for being un-fluffy if I took a pirate queen, a big mecha and bug-eyed monster in the same army? I consider fluff to be fairly important, meself, by the way.
They're really just thematically linked; in the fluff they often run together. You can throw whatever units you want together, and in many cases its probably a good idea so that you get some balance. There are now Theme Lists, however, and each Warcaster gets bonuses for taking certain units; I think for Cryx, that pirate lady girl would get bonuses for taking a bunch of pirate people. I don't know Cryx that well, so I don't know what that would be, though, sorry.
me_in_japan wrote:3) I dont really like the bonejack models so much as the helljack models. Something tells me I might screw myself if I didnt get any bonejacks. (the rules wot I found online mentioned Arc Nodes, and why theyre great for cryx.) Is this so? Do i really need the wee buck-toothed ratbots?
Again, that's just more of a balance thing. Arc Nodes are really friggin useful, so you might consider it, but you could probably put together a decent list without one...
me_in_japan wrote:4) My buddy is putting in an order with Wayland Games real soon, so the faster the answer to this email, the faster I can succumb and spend my hard-earned on a new toy...
Looks like you got your answer already ;)
me_in_japan wrote: Asphyxious (any version)
Deathwalker (who seems to be somewhat inseperable from Goreshade the Bastard. to be fair, he has a cool name. i could live with buying him, too.
Yeah, Deathwalker is inseperable from Goreshade, if I remember correctly. Something like whenever he kills someone, that thing appears, or something.
me_in_japan wrote:Can you advise on what I should/shouldnt get from these options, and what else Id need for a balanced beginnery force? Just as some indication of my current financial state, there is no way on god's green earth I intend to buy all of the minis listed above. I'm looking to keep things as budgetty as possible, then perhaps build up the list later, if I get into the game more. At the mo, Im thinking of a small mini-force, that I can tinker with and do a nice paint job on, and if anyone else starts playing, maybe actually get into the game properly.
For a beginning set, I'd suggest the starter box for Cryx, but that has a bunch of bonejacks that you don't like. Check out the Privateer Press forums and look at the Cryx forum. They have a lot of useful advice, especially for noobs, since MKII just hit. They could tell you a LOT more about each unit and what would be good to start off with than me. I could tell you what to run with if you like the Elves, though... heh.

Anyway, I hope to see you on the battlefield soon! :twisted:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

OK, after some thought, this is whats at the top of my list of wants. Somewhat different from what i posted previously, but hey, I'm a fickle bugger sometimes, what can ya do.

*edit* Gomen, the numbers below were all neatly lined up when I typed it in. Theyre the costs in GBP for the minis...

cryx book 22.5
rulebook 18

Gharlghast Coven 9
Warwitch siren 7.15
Skarlock 6.25

Deathjack 30

Satyxis raiders 16
satyxis witch 5.36

114.26 = 15000yen, about

so, that works out as:
1 warcaster (coven)
2 solos (siren and skarlock)
1 unit (6 raiders + 1 witch)
1 jack (deathjack.)

115 quid for 11 models (and the capability to use em, ie the rules). And I thought GW were over-priced... :x

I have absolutely no idea how this list would translate in terms of playability. What are the requirements for a playable force? like, are there min/max numbers of certain things that must be taken?

I'm also slightly aggrieveed that a full third of the cost is going to be taken up with rulebooks (and thats the softback versions.) Can full rulebooks be obtained online? I know the cryx book isnt out yet, but is there much of a d/l community for the game? My policy with GW stuff is: if I play it, I buy the codex. If not, its just background reading and can be d/ld with a clean concience. The same rule would apply to Warmachine, (and thus I would likely, in time buy the books) but at the moment it just galls to spend so much on something I dont even know if i'll use (whereas the minis will be painted anyhoo, and thats largely my reasons for buying em. The game comes secondary to that.)

Thanks again for all the advice. Warmac is a game Ive always liked the look of. I'm currently oscillating somewhere between excited at getting a bunch of new stuff, and worried that Im about to waste my money on something i wont use. Some reassurance would be nice :shock:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Please dont post requests for illeagal downloads guys.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Well, one of the nice things about Warmachine is you don't really need to buy your army book at all - since all the rules and points values and what-not are on the cards that come with the minis, the army book is mostly for planning future purchases, fluff and painting guides. So you can save some money there.

There aren't many force requirements. You need a Warcaster, and some units have limitations - 1 or 2 max per Warcaster, or whatever, which isn't really an issue until you start collecting lots of stuff. (The Deathjack is unique, so don't get two of them, on the off chance you were thinking of that, heh.) Aside from that, you're free and easy. The main thing you're usually looking for in force-building is synergies between 'casters, 'jacks and units, which will only really start to make sense after you have some games under your belt and get a feel for how rules interact with each other. Especially when you're just getting started, you pretty much can just get a bunch of models you think look cool and play around with them.

Edit: I'll also second ennui's comment that the starter box is an excellent value for the money.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 pm

I can't put all the stats down here for legal reasons, but I'll list the points you'll be getting:

Warwitch coven: +5 Warjack Points (this gives you 5 points to spend on warjacks to put in your list)
Deathjack: 12 points (only 1 allowed in an army)

Warwitch Siren: 2 points (2 allowed per warcaster)
Skarlock: 2 points (1 allowed in an army per warcaster)

Satyxis Raiders: Leader+5 is 5 points, Leader +9 is 8 points (2 units allowed per warcaster)
Satyxis Sea Witch: 2 points (1 allowed per warcaster)

So right now you're looking at 18 to 21 points for you to play around with, depending on whether or not you take Satyxis Raiders as a full or minimum unit. Usually the smallest games are played at 15 points, and the average is probably about 25. I think it would be a good idea to start off around here, play the 15 point game a few times and get a hang of units, switching them around and see what you like.

The Cryx book has every unit's info and its all fluff, but all the minis should come with their card, so really the Cryx book is to see what else is available to the faction that you don't have yet, plus all the fluff. The Warmachine book is something you really ought to buy, though.

Warmachine is getting really popular among the Japanese dudes, and they're really fun to play against because they're nice and like to give advice to new players, even if you're playing against them. As long as I show up to a game day, you'll have at least one person you can play against, too. So don't feel like it'd be a waste!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 pm

@mij So are you planning to come to Nagoya more often to play Warmachine and Malifaux or do you think the Tsu crowd will pick them up too?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 25, 2010 2:22 pm

@primarch - sorry boss - gomen for the request for d/l stuff. *dave abases self in abject apology*

seriously though, I'll watch meself more carefully in future. Im aware that not everyone shares my wicked ways...

re: coming up to nagoya - I spose I'll have to. I do fancy a game or ten of malifaux and warmachine, and the Mie mob havent really started into them much. Theyre keen on other indie games, just not those two. So...

@ ennui and other dave - thanks a lot for all the advice. Id be lost at sea without you chaps ;)
I'll take the plunge and get the stuff I listed just now, minus the Cryx book. I'll keep that for (the inevitable) second wave of purchases.

Theres no way the stuff would get here in time for this month's game (and besides, im off to yokkaichi) but hopefully itll be here next month. I shall endeavour to slap some paint on em asap.

ok. here we go!!!!

*Kersplash!*

-d
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am

No problem. SOrry I'm not more help where Cryx is concerned.

I can't make it this month, either. But I have a 4x4 gameboard at my apartment, so I'm up for a game whenever! Now I'm getting pumped to get my painting finished....

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 am

I`m still a ways off from being able to play in a WarMachine tournament, but I finally played my first to games of MW last weekend. I had the models - and even painted them - since forever. Now, these games are picking up in the Hiroshima area. They are different than GW games and require a lot of new/diferent tactics. But they are fun in their own right.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Yarrick60
Rookie

Post by Yarrick60 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:56 am

Danguinius wrote:I`m still a ways off from being able to play in a WarMachine tournament, but I finally played my first to games of MW last weekend. I had the models - and even painted them - since forever. Now, these games are picking up in the Hiroshima area. They are different than GW games and require a lot of new/diferent tactics. But they are fun in their own right.

Danguinius
Played two and lost two :lol: and I am also losing against Mortenebra Cryx, I hate her...
Warhammer: Imperial Guard Vostroya firsts born, Blood Angels 3th Company
Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
My Blog: http://doctoradoenjapon.mideann.net/

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”