DnD Next (5e) Playtest - anyone interested?

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
Jorunkun
Rookie

DnD Next (5e) Playtest - anyone interested?

Post by Jorunkun » Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 am

Hello,

longtime, occasional lurker but ardent roleplayer here. Yoroshiku.

I downloaded the DnD Next / 5e playtest documents last week and have been thinking about running or playing; either in Nagoya or in our around Nishio, Aichi. Any takers?

I've been playing FRPGs for some 25 years, mostly various incarnations of D&D and some GURPS. I mostly GM (via Maptools & Skype) but would be happy to play as well. We could meet at my house or I could come out to Nagoya if someone there would sort out the logistics. I'm free most weekends and would envision a string of three to five sessions for three to five players, for a start.

My language preference would be English, though I could probably handle playing (but not GMing) in Japanese as well. Of course all ages, genders and nationalities are welcome.

Anyone Interested?

ashmie
Wargod

Re: DnD Next (5e) Playtest - anyone interested?

Post by ashmie » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 am

Would love to but my baby is still one month old. Bring it to Tsu for Halloween if you like. We are having a weekend at Moyashimarus house this year, hopefully. Or I could play in Nagoya one time but not in the near future I'm afraid. Got a game with TOD in July and then some Dragon Warriors at Mondo books for August. I game once a month now so I'm booked up until September at least.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Interested, but as usual I don't have much free time on weekends; ironically due to role-playing, but unfortunately most people in my group right now are not interested in any of the D&D incarnations (they are more of the White Wolf type) but anyway I can mention it to them, you never know!

What does 5th ed look like, is it a big move away from 4th?

jus

Post by jus » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi jorunkun, Im right next door from nishio in Anjo, and wouldn't mind giving it a go! So I'll sign up as a player, if you want. Unfortunately, no one else on this forum lives around this immediate vicinity ( that I know of ) but I hope other players decide to join.

Cheers

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 am

Likewise it would be good to try out, especially if I'm not the DM for a change.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Jorunkun
Rookie

Post by Jorunkun » Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 am

Well, thanks for the interest, this is shaping up rather nicely.

Jus, would you have an opportunity to host in Anjo? It's halfway between Nishio and Nagoya, so might be a good compromise on place. Again, I'll gladly host at my house, if it saves me the ride.

I'd also be happy to include anyone and everyone else, but would prefer it if we could play at least bi-weekly. Any chance of that?

As for 5e as a system, it's hard to describe. It isn't as transparently rules-focused as 4e was, though some mechanics (i.e. healing, some at-will magic) are obviously inspired by it. Many of the more fiddly mechanics of previous editions (AOOs, stacking bonuses etc) are gone or drastically reduced. And the choice of races, classes and spells lends it an almost old-school vibe. From what I've read on other forums, it seems to handle the basic dungeon-crawling thing that D&D has traditionally been about very well.

But let's find out for ourselves, shall we?

J.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 pm

I have never played D&D but always wanted to give it a go. What day will really decide my attendance though :( Sundays are really the only day I am free until the university kids have their summer break. :)

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm

I'd be interested in joining in. Weekends are fine by me, just depends on if I'm travelling for work.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Jorunkun
Rookie

Post by Jorunkun » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 am

Excellent, so that would make three (Jus, Kojibear and YellowStreak) for intermittent weekly Sunday sessions, right? I’d be okay with taking on more players as they come, even if it’s for one shots, provided we have a stable core group – so keep posting here if you want in.

How does June 10th (Sunday afternoon) sound for the kick-off? Maybe start at two or three, see how it goes. I’m good for lunch or dinner as well if there’s interest. If you don’t mind coming out to Nishio (we’re on the Meitetsu line), I could make some chili or lasagna. Alternatively, I’ll meet you in Anjo or Nagoya, provided someone sorts out a venue. Where are you guys based, and what are your preferences?

System-wise, there is a 30-page rules-document to read and five pre-generated characters to choose from. It’s really quite simple, even if you’ve never played D&D before. I'll mail it out to you once we have the logistics sorted.

Questions, suggestions?

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am

Jorunkun wrote:Excellent, so that would make three (Jus, Kojibear and YellowStreak) for intermittent weekly Sunday sessions, right?

Questions, suggestions?
Sorry, but I am booked for this month with the gaming event in Tsu on the 17th.

I would love to do weekly sessions, but realistically I just can't commit to that. :cry: I think it is best to be really honest from the start about how much we can commit to the game. If it was a skype game I could possibly join weekly.

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”