J TRPG Day July 10?

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: J TRPG Day July 10?

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:46 am

Are we shooting for 11, then? How many folks are confirmed coming?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 am

Confirmed:
Me
The other Dave
Moyashimaru
Seb

I'll see you guys right in front of the bus terminal at 11 then. I forget which exit... 2?

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:57 am

Here's the scenario info for tomorrow, as well as the PCs that will be available. If anyone wants to show up an hour early to make their character, that's fine with me.

By the way, lunch will be served.

Scenario:
a hundred years ago, the King in Yellow was purged from the face of this earth. The mysterious French translation that appeared and swept the world by storm, banned by every government and sought after by hunters of occult books was finally annihilated, preserving the sanity of the world at large. However, a new translation of the cursed, perfect play has resurfaced--this time in the streets of Nagoya. This time, in this digital age, the risk of dissemination is a hundred times higher than the last incursion of Hastur's infiltration. How did the play resurface? Can the ninja clans band together to destroy all evidence of the play before a link to Carscosa is established?

PC1:
Clan: Bloodline of Oni (a clan of ninjas with supernatural origins or ancestors)
Setup:
The art world is buzzing with rumors of a strange new play sweeping the Indy playhouse circuit by storm. It's hard to get a decent review of the play, though, as anyone who sees it can only rave how it's going to change the face of drama forever, or how it's so perfect as to render any other art form meaningless. When you were a young playwright, studying art history, you read of something similar. You know there's no time to lose...

PC2:
Clan: Lost Ones (a clan of free or runaway ninjas)
Setup:
The crew that you've been hanging out with lately hasn't been around lately. In fact, the streets are quieter than usual, except for some strange yellow marks that have been appearing around the city. At night, you get the feeling that you can see strange black stars in the sky... But only for a second. Something's going wrong in this city, and just when you had gotten the hang of the streets.

PC3:
Clan:
Hirasaka Agency (a clan of ninjas backed by an ancient Shinto cult with political ties)
Setup:
The underworld of the city is suspiciously quiet. The miko of the Hirasaka shrine has been sensing a powerful evil brewing. It's time to take action before something happens to upset the delicate political balance of the city.

Moyashimaru
Warrior

Post by Moyashimaru » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm leaning towards the third option, oddly. Let me think on it.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Great day today, great games, great GMing, great host, great food, great participants.
Thanks for teaching me the joy of RPGs, I would gladly do this again. :)

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Can't believe I missed this. For some reason I had it in my head that you were attending a all Japanese speaking rpg con. I'll try and join someday in the future. Sounds good.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for coming guys! Man, I had a blast. An exciting game of Shinobigami with a twist I didn't see coming that ended the run of the King in Yellow (poor Wake!), a really nice game of Yuuyake Koyake, and an unexpected game of Lady Blackbird that went all the way to the very end. 3 whole games! It was pretty incredible, thanks again guys. Let's do this again next month.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Thank you so much for organising!
RPGing got more and more fun as I learned how to act it out, therefore the last game was a real blast. I would definitely enjoy Shinobigami more next time now that I have got a hang of it all.
Already looking forward to next month.

Moyashimaru
Warrior

Post by Moyashimaru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:28 pm

A little late (as usual), but I wanted to say thank you to Ennui for hosting us (as well as feeding us) this Sunday. Thanks also to ToD for GMing as well, and a big "Welcome Aboard" to Seb, who had his RPG cherry popped in the grandest of fashions.

I very much enjoyed the way that both Shinobigami (ninja battle indeed) and Yuuyake (short and sweet) encouraged storytelling by incorporating Indie Hippie mechanics like fan mail (Yuuyake) and scene framing (Shinobigami).

The third (!) game of the night, John Harper's Lady Blackbird, was great fun as well, and must be one of the finest gateway games out there. Best of all, it's free:

http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/

Very much looking forward to doing this again soon.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 am

Another late chime-in here, but it was definitely good fun. A bit of new-system feet-finding all round - I'd happily revisit any of the games we played. Too many games, too little time!

Looking forward to the next one.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”