iron kingdoms rpg

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
Colonel Voss

iron kingdoms rpg

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:31 am

So I got my sticky fingers on the new RPG. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the quality that they have put out here. I think it finally fills in the gap that has been missing in Warmachine/Hordes, which is the individual characters.

Character creation is very nice and easy to understand. The rules look easy enough to work with so overall I'm pleased with what I see.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: iron kingdoms rpg

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am

I've got a bunch of old Iron Kingdoms stuff, and I found it a fairly interesting read. Tbh, Ithink the one thing Warmahordes doesnt lack for is individual characters, as the warcasters/warlocks are so central to the game, and the fluff as written in the army books. Where Iron Kingdoms really comes into its own is in world development, and populating that world with beasties. Still, I agree that a bit of RPG action in the Thornwood might be quite fun.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 pm

I had some of their old D20/D&D3.5 stuff and it was pretty good. I never played it though.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Ah but whose characters are they? You are right, the development is good and only possible because of the characters they use. However, it is alsway nice to have your own guy making marks on the world as well which has been the one thing missing to me.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am

alright so I have poured through the rules and the game. The rules are similar enough to Warma/Hordes that anyone who has played those games will know the ground rules from the word go. The background section really goes into details which brings the world a lot more to life and that alone is worth buying the book IMO.

Character creation is pretty nice and easy to understand. First choose your race, then choose an archetype, followed by choosing two careers and then buy gear and add a few stats and figure out your ARM DEF and what not. Fill out your life spiral (similar to hordes) and you are set. Character creation is really gun. Choosing an archtype and two careers really open up a lot of options and just fills my mind full of different ideas on what I could play.

Overall, I think that this is a great game. On the GM side, I have several ideas which is always good. But it is the idea of being a player that I really like the idea of doing. So two thumbs up to PP for this game.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”