Tsu Rpg Society Newsletter. 2010-2014 The stars were right

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
ashmie
Wargod

Tsu Rpg Society Newsletter. 2010-2014 The stars were right

Post by ashmie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 am

The stars were right once again these past two Fridays as our humble group met for some long over due roleplay games. We completed a one shot in 2 sessions. A record for us. We are getting faster. We being me, Moyashimaru and another chap as the core 3 members plus Dave when he is free. Dave, that reminds me, G still has some dice he picked up for you from the US last time he visited.
We formed in 2010 with the intent to get a small group going and have played quite a few scenarios and mini campaigns so far. Now in our third year I thought it would be a good chance to recap here what we have played for posterity.

2010: Our first game was Nightmare in Silence a pulpy German Expressionist adventure based on The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. Many strange vistas as our players took on the role of actors within a silent movie that had taken control of it's audience. Lovecraftian celluloid?

2010: Bright Young Things. A 1920 adventure set in London. The investigators were on the trail of Brilliant Chang, aristocrats with money and occult power beneath the surface of the city. This lead to the discovery of a weird group of dilettantes making movies in the caverns below the city that were once used by the Hellfire club. A Tsuthagua spawn was summoned by these weird rituals and the investigators dealt with the monster accordingly.

2011: Moyashimaru ran a mini campaign called The Pale God. We played this over 5 months or so and really took our time but it was a lot of fun. Set in Halfax Nova Scotia in the 20's the party were on the trail of a strange brood and encountered a brood of Eihort below an old house just on the edge of town. They also discovered tunnels that lead to a portal that took them to Germany where they rescued a girl from a house. Her Uncle was a strange Mage or Warlock who had summoned the Brood? Anyway the party brought in the help of local students at the University to banish this thing. They succeed but the Brood will return a year from now? What happened next?

2011: The Chronicles of Future Earth. Good fun had in this far future Earth setting where Earths forgotten the old ways and pretty much started over but has some nice tech and guns. This was a sci fi/fantasy one shot played over two sessions. Our heroes journey underground to fight lizard snake creatures and all kinds of weird monsters before discovering the Sleeper. An ancestor from Earths past who has been locked in cryosleep. He tells of the wars between old ones and has much information worthy for the record books.

2011: Moyashimaru runs another Nova Scotia one shot, homebrew I think, with something in the basement of the house but we never found out what. Time beat us.

2011: Another adventure set in Nova Scotia. This was out in the country somewhere on the trail of a strange bird or weird falcon that had escaped from a box hidden in a cave down on the beach. A fog descended into the town and we were warned to leave by the local Indian elders. Of course we stayed and holed up in a hotel while the strange fog moved in and devoured everything. We left town the next day having encountered nothing but severe sanity loss. I really enjoyed the fear in this one.

2012: The Spawn of Azathoth. Our one and only campaign for 2012 ran from January to May and was completed in 7 sessions. 5 around the table and two skyped. This was a dreamlands campaign set in Lovecraft's dreamlands and his hometown of Providence Rhode Island. Too much to recall here but our heroes got through it, one ended up immersed in a cave in Tibet in eternal meditation and the other made it home to Providence in time for tea.

2012: Moyashimaru ran a series of ones shots or a one shot using a system he concocted called Dungeon Delve. We played this as a group of 4 with Dave and had great fun in a classic Dungeon Crawl with a simple rules light system with slime pits and Indy Jones style traps and bridges. Great stuff.

2012: A short interlude from the big RPG stuff with a game of Fiasco (fantastic storytelling system) using the Bookhounds of London setting and a half assed game of Fury of Dracula that descends into sleep-age and beer spillage. ;) :lol:

2013: Our first game this year has just concluded with Horrors from Yuggoth. 1928. An expedition of Polar Horror in the Arctic archipelago of Svalgard. A team of adventurers working for the US are sent on a special ops mission to rescue the stranded Nobile expedition (Mussolini's boys) who have gone missing and are trapped on the ice somewhere. In what is set to be a simple recuse mission soon turns into a race against time for alien weaponry between Russian sailors, Italians and Uncle Sam. Also there is the organic village below the ice to deal with not to mention the Mi-Go who have been breeding Walrus men to guard their technology and alien research ship docked below the village. Luckily our heroes work together with the Russians and uncover and escape from the frozen pack ice and unaccountable horrors from Yuggoth. Very pulpy and easy to play in two sessions this was an Age of Cthulhu module based on events in our history.

Thanks for the good times guys, it's been a blast. And the next question is what's next? ;)
Last edited by ashmie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mie Rpg Society Newsletter. Jan 2013 The stars were righ

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 am

Ashmie wrote: the investigators dealt with the monster appropriately.
:lol: best euphemism ever :lol:

As I recall, we hoiked a grenade at it and then legged it as fast as we could in the opposite direction!

Ta for the write ups, Ash - makes me want to play more :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 am

ashmie wrote: not to mention the Mi-Go who have been breeding Walrus men ;)
Walrus men! Now I want to see those miniatures!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 am

@Konrad, We don't use minis in our games other than for general flavour so we didn't have any sadly.
I'll try and take a shot of the module cover, there are some on the front. ;)
Last edited by ashmie on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Mie Rpg Society Newsletter. 2010-2014 The stars were rig

Post by ashmie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:09 am

We still have a small, very humble RPG group going here in Tsu so I thought I would update the blog here for posterity.

2013: Due to ill health and having to take much time off in England we only managed a few sessions last year and are as yet to return to the table. We managed a total of 2 sessions in the second half of the year. One was a bug hunt game of 3/16 which was excellent fun. The other was a Halloween game of Dead Man Stomp that ended badly with a new group due to excess alcohol consumption. No more getting wasted at the table.

2014: Having now recovered my health and back in fine fickle we have rolled characters for Fate cores Age of Arthur which I hope to run at some point. I'm currently preparing a series of one shots for Folklore Cthulhu set in Britain. I hope to debut these soon. Will the stars be right again?

May Golden Week. And we're back.

4 players this time and one Keeper. BBQ season is here. Thanks to Jon for an excellent spot to play RPGs. We had floodlights like a night investigation.

We had an excellent first session of the Writhing Hill from the Cthulhu Folklore book. I mixed it in with the investigators being members of Phillias Fogs Reform club in London. They were a 20's version of the Ghostbusters called The Shadows over Bakerstreet and they were hired by a weird occultist guy, (who travels with a black cat on his shoulder to spot adversaries) to investigate the dig in Tilbury in search of mythical Dragons of all things. Spoiler: They have done the research in London and the next session sees the action as they catch up with the excavation and the wyrm (a Cthonian). They were actually a bit freaked. We are looking forward to the main story next time when the stars are right.

Games ran online this year included The One Ring a mini winter campaign and Dr Who Adventures in Time and Space. The Invasion. Classic Who with the second Dr and the Cybermen.

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Tsu Rpg Society Newsletter. 2010-2014 The stars were rig

Post by ashmie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 am

Tsu RPG Society Newsletter: October Halloween night 2014.

Just played the scenario Sanatorium from the sourcebook Mansions of Madness (secret shoggoth gift Christmas 2012) as a one shot for Halloween 2014 and can confirm it was a hit. Great fun. Completed in 3 and a half hours and easy to run. Not all NPCs were interacted with and my players acted quickly in tracking down the threat. Spoilers.They nearly died at the very end when faced with the 'thing'. All in all, very horrific and gory but a perfect one for Halloween. Players are visiting a friends mansion on a private island when they find the staff have all been murdered and the patients have taken over the asylum. Meanwhile a madman with an axe has escaped the asylum and is working as a servant for a creature from another world which is ensconsed on the 2nd floor of the nearby lighthouse.

Investigators should have some Cthulhu Mythos or Occult and have connections to the medical profession. The mental health topics are quite high in this one and use of hypnosis can be used to interview the patients. Best not to get too bogged down in this as it can be a bit heavy going. Good idea to keep it light and pulpy for a more up beat game. Very Lovecraftian in theme and has all the elements of a good Lovecraft tale. Egypt, the Eldar Sign, ritual cultist and a monster from beyond. Great work again Mr Keith Herber. RIP.

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”