Home Brew System - Malifaux

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Home Brew System - Malifaux

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 am

For those of you who havent heard of this game, Malifaux is a skirmish (ie 5 or 6 miniatures) level tabletop wargame. It uses cards rather than dice to play which is, in my honest opinion, the best games mechanic since someone said "Hey, why not make dice with more than 6 sides?"
I believe that with a bit of tweaking, the game could be run as an RPG. I'm just wondering how much interest there would be in such a thing.

This is description from the makers of the game:
Based in an alternate Earth, Malifaux uses gothic, steampunk, victorian horror with a dose of the wild west to inject fun and depth into the magical lawlessness of a world rife with monsters, necropunks, manmachine hybrids, gunslingers, and power-hungry politicos. Actively using character-driven stories to define the world of Malifaux, seek your fortune in this fast paced and brutal 32mm tabletop miniature skirmish game. Assemble your crew and stake your claim!

No longer do you have to trust the fickle fate of a dice roll, in Malifaux you use cards, a Fate Deck, as you lead your Crew to victory with strategy, tactics and resource management, and if that isn't enough, you can Cheat Fate.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Home Brew System - Malifaux

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:04 am

The game is set in a large city (Malifaux) and several smaller frontier towns where various factions vie for power through the collection of Soul Stones, magical gems that contain great power and can be recharged by the death of a creature nearby.
The factions in the game are Guild (Marshals and Lawbringers for a totalitarian regime), Arcanists (Magic users who seek power for themselves) Resurrectionists (Necromancers who seek power over the dead), Neverborn (The daemons who claim Malifaux as their home) and Outcasts (Mercenaries and thieves out for number 1).
The game rules dont currently contain any system for level advancement or for group play, but I reckon that they could be added fairly easily.

So, any thoughts?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”