RPG Question

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.
ashmie
Wargod

Re: RPG Question

Post by ashmie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Here's my 50 pence for what it's worth

What do you think makes a great RPG system?

Teamwork and good sense of fun and storytelling, lots of dice rolling over game dynamics and spreadsheets.

What is your favorite system and why? (mechanics, adventure support, artwork etc)

Call of Cthulhu. You can play anywhere in our world, any setting and in a variety of different time zones with normal characters who are plunged into the experiences unknown to them.

What is your least favorite system and why?

Not sure. Probably an rpg game of my daily life if there was one.

What is one aspect of RPGing that you believe most systems do not adequately address in the rules?

The players should be encouraged to develop their characters and make them as real to them as possible without trying to level up all the time. The GM should be encouraged to make the game dynamics and the world their own if they wish contrary to what the rules say. The GM is God. How many times! :ugeek: :lol:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:09 am

Ok, my turn.
ShogunPat wrote:What do you think makes a great RPG system?
I think that's sort of a complicated question. A great storytelling RPG system allows the group to create a compelling story with very little interaction or interference with the rules. A great hack and slash system allows the players to have interesting dungeon crawls or combat quickly, efficiently, and with little confusion over the rules. But I think that each rules system should influence and be influenced by the games setting or theme; I don't believe in generalized/universal systems anymore.
What is your favorite system and why? (mechanics, adventure support, artwork etc)
*cough* Shinobigami. The system near-perfectly recreates epic ninja battles in any setting you could imagine, with exciting combat and clear, concise rules. The rules allow the GM to create a compelling scenario, yet allow each player to have total control over the fate and actions of their characters. The rules help and facilitate character interactions and relationships. There have been 5 cheap books, each of which have brought something new and exciting to the game and each book also includes an entire play session in replay form as an example.
What is your least favorite system and why?
Like others have said, mostly it's the GM that makes a system bad. Still, I won't say I hate it, but my least favorite system might be 4th edition D&D. Skill challenges are a joke, they stripped almost all skills that can be used out of combat, and the dissonance between the combat mechanics and the fluff that accompanies each attack just takes me out of the game each combat. And combat takes just as long as it did in 3.5.

Or maybe Fatal.
What is one aspect of RPGing that you believe most systems do not adequately address in the rules?
I want to see more systems address social combat. I love games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Shinobigami, and Tokyo Nova, where the line between social and physical combat is vague, and often the only difference is in the result of the attack.

Moyashimaru
Warrior

Post by Moyashimaru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:16 pm

*cough* Shinobigami.
I've heard about this one, but I've been put off by that whole "written in Japanese" thing. Still, I thought I'd pick it up.
Or maybe Fatal
FATAL is either a work of madness or a work of art. I'd never play it, but it still fascinates me.

Return to “Role Playing Games - RPG”