Civ 5 Gods & Kings

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
pdfitzg
Rookie

Civ 5 Gods & Kings

Post by pdfitzg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 am

Little pricy for what it is, but if you like Civ V, this is a must buy. Expansion was released the same day I happened to take sick leave. I really was sick, but not so much to keep me from playing Civ on my laptop in bed the entire day. :)

Paul
Paul

Armies: IG, BA, SOB

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Civ 5 Gods & Kings

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 am

I wish my PC could run something like this, but then I think how little free time I have anyway, and think maybe its actually not such a bad thing after all.

I've been playing Dead Space (again) in anticipation of Battle for Alabaster. I'm quite chuffed they've included an Isaac Clarke mini as an optional extra for BfA. If you've never played Dead Space it'll mean nothing to you, but if you have, I'm sure you'll agree he's a prefect cameo for a game set on a space station full of infectious aliens :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 am

I am sorely tempted. I love Civilization V but don't have much time to play it.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:45 am

Anyone ever play the original board game? We used to play back in the day, I don't think we ever finished a game, every session is an epic. We'd always call it a draw at about 3 AM. Epic fun though.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 am

Konrad wrote:Anyone ever play the original board game? We used to play back in the day, I don't think we ever finished a game, every session is an epic. We'd always call it a draw at about 3 AM. Epic fun though.
Yeah, I had the Civilisation board game. Great fun, but very long. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:01 am

Konrad wrote:Anyone ever play the original board game? We used to play back in the day, I don't think we ever finished a game, every session is an epic. We'd always call it a draw at about 3 AM. Epic fun though.
Was that the classic Avalon Hill version? Never played it, always wanted to.

I do have the 2002 game Sid Meier's Civilization. It takes a while to play, but probably not as long as the AH game. It's not particularly good, though.

There's another game out now, also called Sid Meier's Civilization, that has been redone from the ground up and is apparently quite good. Boardgame Geek page here.

pdfitzg
Rookie

Post by pdfitzg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I never got to play the original AH version of the board game (I wanted to but all my money went to 40K), but I do have the latest version of the board game and expansion from Fantasy Flight Games. It's pretty cool but the learning curve is steep and setup takes a while, so I've only gotten to play once. :(

As for Civ 5 expansion, I've played several games. Just duel maps with 4-6 players set at Prince. Seems like the AI doesn't attack as randomly as they have in the past and I'm enjoying the extra units that fill in the previous era gaps, like triplanes. Culture victory is harder now, but not impossible. I also was once penalized for having too large of an army. Not sure if that's new, but first time I've seen it. City states, which are one of the best things with V, are even better now. Religion is cool, but a little underwhelming. Spys seem simple at first look, but I can see some interesting strategies being used there.

If you only play Civ 5 only on occasion, probably best to wait for a sale on the expansion. I've been a fan since Civ 1 on MS-DOS and bought my first copy of Win 3 just because my DOS version of Civ was lost in a move and the only thing I could find was a Windows version of Civ, so the expansion was a must have for me.

Paul
Paul

Armies: IG, BA, SOB

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”