Best miniatures

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Best miniatures

Post by Dungeon Lord » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:08 am

Ok. So, I play Warmachine for the tactical flare and I played 40K for the minis, but mostly for the ease of finding a game and I play board games for variety and light entertainment.

But what game has the coolest overall miniature selection? No major arguments required for this one. All opinions are valid here.

kojibear
Legend

Re: Best miniatures

Post by kojibear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Infinity looks quite cool :?: Except, they can be a bit too anime looking at times.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:20 pm

kojibear wrote:Infinity looks quite cool :?: Except, they can be a bit too anime looking at times.
I was going to say both of these things. I mean, they have sci-fi-lookin' female power armor with built-in high heels, for cryin' out loud.

I quite like Firestorm Armada's space ships.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 pm

coolest overal selection has to go to 40k surely? For sheer breadth of range it cant be beat. Youve got sleek alien ships (eldar, dark eldar, tau, crons), imposing gothic juggers (anything imperial) and ramshackle post-apocalyptic (orks). Youve got ravening beasties (nids) youve got ancient egyptians (crons). youve got super soldiers (marines) youve got grunts (IG). There's a few things 40k doesnt have, but not many. Sure, tehre are some iffy sculpts in there, but by and large theyre pretty well done, especially recently.

So, thats what I reckon. If youre talking individual best sculpts then 40k is up against some serious competition (in fact, itd likely lose out to several systems) but in terms of overal selection, it has to be 40k.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 am

40K certainly has something for everything and everyone. And ignoring the price tag ('cause we aren't comparing price in this thread. Just quality), it is very hard to beat. I thought of "Infinity" too. I have only brief perused their stuff though. "Avatars of War" looked like some high quality goods too.

Oh and what was that French company that went bust?? MIJ you know. What was it..?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 am

It was Rackham, and given the amount ive spent on their stuff in the last few years, I suspect they went bust simply because I didn't know about em at the time. I love their stuff, but I appreciate it could be considered a bit overly twiddly for some tastes. In a similar vein, Kingdom Death do some nice figs, but are a bit over detailed for many folks. (or just too wierd, in some cases)

SodaPop do a nice range called Relic Knights which is currently being kickstarted. (google "relic knights kickstarter" for more info than you really need.)

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Model wise it must go to 40k there is hardly a model or concept that I don't like add in the fact the forge world models are part of 40k and it crushes the competition..

I have never heard of any one picking up war machine for the look of the models.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:

I have never heard of any one picking up war machine for the look of the models.
I did.

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Model wise it must go to 40k there is hardly a model or concept that I don't like add in the fact the forge world models are part of 40k and it crushes the competition..

I didn't think the Warmachine minis were much to write home about at first but they are quite fun to paint and are actually very detailed with crisp lines. The poses are fairly simple and I would like to see a little more "aliveness". But they look good with a proper paint job and basing.

Forge world does make some gorgeous stuff. I have only painted a few of their stuff and it was good. The details were good and the overall "aliveness" was great, but the casts were also brittle and sometimes had bubbles.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 pm

That is just the nature of resin but yes it is better if they are making Nurgle stuff.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”