Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten (VUK)

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Seb
Champion

Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten (VUK)

Post by Seb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:22 pm

The sister game to Strange Aeons, VUK. Seems to be progressing in development over at Uncle Mike's place and I for one really want to try this game out.

You take the role of a Magus of your new cult and the game is about managing it,recruiting more followers, equipping them, battling other cults and the authorities (police and the threshold agency), increasing your territory etc.
It is still in beta phase but the rules have been furtherly fleshed out since I had a look last time and I just want to give a heads up to see if there is any interest in this group.

It is a skirmish sized game so you don't need many models and if the models fit your cult style, the models could look pretty much like anything as long as they're not too far away from the time period of the setting (1920s).

The beta rules can be found at:
http://strange-aeons.ca/doc/Kulten_Beta.pdf

However you still need the Strange Aeons rulebook for the stats of the units that you build your cult from,but except for that the rulebook in the link above basically contains everything you need to play.

Have a read and let me hear your opinion, It would be awesome to see some interest!

Konrad
Wargod

Re: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten (VUK)

Post by Konrad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll give it a go! Itakura-san and I play Strange Aeons every now and again. There are some game balance issues IMO, but it is a lot of creepy, fun.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 am

Cool, let me join you guys next time you play!

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Actually, I thought Strange Aeons sounded like a lot of fun. I was a bit put off when I heard the system wasn't that balanced.How is this one different?

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:04 am

Dungeon Lord wrote:Actually, I thought Strange Aeons sounded like a lot of fun. I was a bit put off when I heard the system wasn't that balanced.How is this one different?
"40k just isn't fool-proof. If you try to break it, it breaks." - dnanoodle, the noodle of wisdom

And more so with Strange Aeons. It's like Necromunda back in the first edition. Basically a cool idea that the guys wrote up and test played on their lunch break. There are some no-brainer weapon load-outs and skills. You can build nigh-indestructible baddies. There are times that the vagaries of the scenario will dictate a short, bitter and un-winable game for one side or the other. (Much like the situations the protagonists face in any H.P story.) And it is a lot of fun in spite of all that.

I just started reading the new version. We'll see how it looks.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:31 am

I really liked the idea of having your guys verses the GM/RPG style of Strange Aeons. The ability to create a narrative/movie style adventure seemed fun. It also allows for a variety of minis. Perfect when you don't want to buy the game, just a couple of minis.

Let me know what you think of the new rules.
Last edited by Dungeon Lord on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Actually Konrad, having played SA for a while I don't agree with you at all on SA being that unbalanced.
First of all talking about SA, if the weapon is on the master table then you can give the same weapons to both lurker and threshold teams, You can even add skills.

Secondly since the game focuses on players taking turns between playing lurkers and threshold so it is a lot less competitive imo, playing as a lurker you should consider it rewarding just causing as much injuries on the threshold agents as possible. It sounds strange but playing Lurkers you shouldn't win games, just go down as hard as possible, is what I feel makes it a fun game.
Eventually when you gain access to the threshold promotions and special weapons, it also gets more interesting for threshold.

Thirdly like you say any game can be broken, and SA has its flaws as well but I wouldn't call it more unbalanced than any game of 40k where some armies crush others because they have got the latest new thing in their codex.
So giving a a game with so much soul as this the "broken" stamp is a little bit unfair imo. As much for my rant...

Now as for VUK, since both players build their own cult and manage it this one can get more competitive I think, but here there are also lots of other options like calling in the Authorities to play in stead of your cult if it is too weak at the moment and so on.
Really looking forward to start trying this game out.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 am

Seb wrote:Actually Konrad, having played SA for a while I don't agree with you at all on SA being that unbalanced.
First of all talking about SA, if the weapon is on the master table then you can give the same weapons to both lurker and threshold teams, You can even add skills.

Secondly
It sounds strange but playing Lurkers you shouldn't win games, just go down as hard as possible, is what I feel makes it a fun game.
Eventually when you gain access to the threshold promotions and special weapons, it also gets more interesting for threshold.

Thirdly like you say any game can be broken, and SA has its flaws as well but I wouldn't call it more unbalanced than any game of 40k where some armies crush others because they have got the latest new thing in their codex.
So giving a a game with so much soul as this the "broken" stamp is a little bit unfair imo. As much for my rant...

Now as for VUK, since both players build their own cult and manage it this one can get more competitive I think, but here there are also lots of other options like calling in the Authorities to play in stead of your cult if it is too weak at the moment and so on.
Really looking forward to start trying this game out.
Don't get me wrong, I not stamping it "Broken". I'm stamping it "Fragile". I think it has been enthusiastically, and lovingly playtested, (soulfully? ;) ) but not rigorously. Your 2nd point is very interesting. I had not thought about it that way.
And I just got through the VUK rules. Certainly looks playable. What's more, it certainly looks fun. The "Calling the Authorities" and "Bribery" options for balancing out the Cults are very interesting mechanics.
Let's see, I got a big Slann/Frog monster, 3ghouls, some Goblin lab assistants.......muhahahahaha!
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 am

Having not read the rules, I can't argue either way. But from what I had heard and watched, I pictured Strange Aeons to be like Seb described. The protagonists should triumph and the antagonists should be used to create an interesting story/challenge.

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 am

@ Konrad - Would you mind running me through a game one of these days? Maybe I could play the lurkers.
Not sure when we will be able to do it though. But let me know if you feel like playing some time.

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”