More Kickstarting - 15mm War of the Worlds

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

More Kickstarting - 15mm War of the Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 am

Models look cool - plastic tripods, land ironclads, game design by Rick Priestly and Alessio Calvatore. Kickstarter starts April 30th.

I'm reading the rules preview now, since I'm a rules guy more than (just) a miniatures guy, but I'll be keeping my eye on this.

http://www.martianfront.com/home
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Spevna

Re: More Kickstarting - 15mm War of the Worlds

Post by Spevna » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:38 am

Some of the tanks are nice but the infantry are a bit meh.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:14 am

The motorcycles look pretty poo, but I have to admit to liking the gasmasked doughboys just fine. The tanks are hit and miss, to be sure.
-----

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 am

I think it is a good theme for a game, and the scale is just right to include machines and infantry without sacrificing too much detail.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 am

Spevna wrote:I think it is a good theme for a game, and the scale is just right to include machines and infantry without sacrificing too much detail.
Yeah; even at 15mm, the tripods are 6" tall.

Brigade does a 2mm-for-crying-out-loud H.G. Wells-inspired Land Ironclads game, complete with Martians, but that's a bit small even for my tastes. (It's eminently affordable, however.)
-----

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 am

Great title and theme. The figures are not jaw dropping awesome, but nice enough for 15mm. I had a buddy build a tripod for a modeling project. I think he may have even cooked up a little skirmish game using it.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:23 pm

It looks cool. I really like the Martian tripods, but I'm not enthused by anything for the WWI stuff. Wouldn't it better to just play the game with a range of 15mm WWI miniatures or WWII stuff?

The other thing is, while the video is nothing special, why can a tiny company like this produce a teaser with some visuals and content while GW can only put together 15 seconds of moaning and wailing sounds for their own?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed May 01, 2013 12:40 pm

job wrote:It looks cool. I really like the Martian tripods, but I'm not enthused by anything for the WWI stuff. Wouldn't it better to just play the game with a range of 15mm WWI miniatures or WWII stuff?

The other thing is, while the video is nothing special, why can a tiny company like this produce a teaser with some visuals and content while GW can only put together 15 seconds of moaning and wailing sounds for their own?
It's my impression, actually, that many (if not most) of the tanks will be steampunked-up to some degree or another. The conceit is that this is 1920, the second Martian invasion, after the one detailed in H.G. Wells' book failed, and humanity has had 20-odd years to poke at the Martian tech they salvaged. So while you do have straight inter-war tank designs, it's supplemented with tesla guns, magnetic anti-tripod mines, and atomic-powered land ironclads mounting 16-inch guns originally designed for battleships.

My thought on the trailer and such is that a tiny company looking to launch a Kickstarter has to produce something like that to get themselves out there. People'll buy from GW whether they make a video or not, so why spend a lot of money on it?
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat May 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Well, short of a Mauss model or a Landkreuzer P1000/1500 I suppose there wouldnt be any Telsa coils and such on FoW models.

And at your other point, I certainly agree, but I'm sure that there is certain amount of joy and heart many hobby companies put into their product and enterprises. Recently I don't feel that coming from GW. If the rationale is just to sell more models, the game itself may ring hollow.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”