Homebrew Madness

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Lovejoy
Legend

Homebrew Madness

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 am

I thought I would start off a thread for those 'other' gaming ideas - mad notions and rainy day modelling projects you think would be very cool, but which may not necessarily fit into a certain ruleset or setting. Ideas and scenarios you want to game, but which nothing quite caters for. I though this thread might spark a few ideas, or even encourage collaboration? Let's find out..

To kick off, here's a few scenarios and modelling projects I've thought would be great to see on a table one day...

Bond/Spy Shenanigans: Using Kiss Kiss Bang Bang minis, jumpsuited goons in berets or hard helmets fall from precarious walkways whilst the hero heads towards a nuclear warhead on a timer. Or similar. Ruleset wise, no idea, but 7TV was Prim's suggestion when I mentioned this today.

Indiana Jones: I own quite a lot of unpainted pulp minis. All the necessaries to represent Indy and side kicks such as Short Round and others, as well as thughee cultists from Bob Murch. I would love to put together a scenario for this. Strange Aeons would work rules wise.

Game of Thrones: Using Perry War of the Roses kit-bashed with Gripping Beast Vikings/Anglo Saxons, it would be extremely easy to make small Lannister and Stark forces. Miniature count would be only 30-50 each side using Saga rules. Normans and Vikings would work, or some of the homebrewed GoT battle boards for Saga might serve.
Of course, on a bigger scale, Hail Caesar would do the trick, but that would need a bit of collaboration.

Seven Samurai: A Scenario based on the classic movie using Ronin rules and minis.

Dad's Army vs Daleks/Cybermen/Cthulhu: Versions of this have been run before and can be found online. I'd like to have a crack at it myself one day. Bolt Action with homebrew additons.

Raid On Innsmouth: A gaming of the US Marine raid on the misbegotten, inbred town of Innsmouth, which in Lovecraftian lore was populated by hybrid fish people and had to be aggressively cleansed by the authorities. It has the makings of an interesting skirmish scenario I think. Bolt Action rules would suit.

Anyone else?
(Feel free mods, to move this elsewhere if necessary)
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Spevna

Re: Homebrew Madness

Post by Spevna » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:43 am

My idea is more a modelling one than a gaming one per se.

It is something I've been thinking of doing for a while, but your talk of Judge Dredd is the kick in the arse I needed!

The plan is to use printable terrain to build a 4x4 sci fi urban board.

Rather than just print and glue the terrain, I am going to use foamcard and build it up in layers to add some depth.

I am planning on adjusting the colours to make the board completely black and white, like the old 2000AD comic strips.

I wish I could say this was an original idea, but it was largely inspired by this thread ;

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=285770

As I said, I want to add some depth by using different layers of foamcard. Any exposed white edges will be black lined to add to the comic book feel.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:14 pm

I've never seen anything quite like that before! It's a great idea. And coloured minis or even the odd bit of colour terrain would work well with it too I think without spoiling the effect too much.
Come to think of it, I have wondered before about how a completely monochrome table would look - all minis and terrain black through grey to white, to mimic a pulp movie or something. I wonder if anyone has even tried it.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Lovejoy wrote:I've never seen anything quite like that before! It's a great idea. And coloured minis or even the odd bit of colour terrain would work well with it too I think without spoiling the effect too much.
Come to think of it, I have wondered before about how a completely monochrome table would look - all minis and terrain black through grey to white, to mimic a pulp movie or something. I wonder if anyone has even tried it.
Yup. (Actually, I've seen the technique elsewhere before too - I saw someone who did a whole WWI force, French and Germans, in black-and-white, but can't seem to find it ATM.) Pretty striking, you ask me.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Lovejoy wrote:I've never seen anything quite like that before! It's a great idea. And coloured minis or even the odd bit of colour terrain would work well with it too I think without spoiling the effect too much.

I did read an article about it once. I got did all the minis and stuff in monochrome. Looked great.

I am thinking about adding the odd splash of colour with some neon signs actually.

Thought of another project. I want to make an orc army for SAGA. I was reading the rules and though they looked good. While on LAF I stumbled across some battle boards for all the LOTR factions.

I reckon some orcs vs norse would make for a fun game.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm

@TheOtherDave, spectacular find, just what I had imagined. Those Copplestone gangsters can't be beaten, but in blacks and white, even more special.
@Spevna, LOTR Saga sounds like a good idea too. If you paint the orcs, I'll be happy to play against them!

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Innsmouth sounds amazing and ultimately terrifying. Brr
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:11 pm

I'd love to try any of the above.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”