Gates of Antares

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
YellowStreak
Legend

Gates of Antares

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:16 am

Gates of Antares is up for pre-order from Warlord.
http://store.warlordgames.com/products/ ... tarter-set

I'm seriously considering ordering it. Anyone else interested in giving it a go?
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Lovejoy
Legend

Re: Gates of Antares

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Spev and Myself each pre-ordered a starter couple of weeks back, intending to split the forces (he Ghar me Concord) and have a book and a set of the other gubbins each. We are pretty excited. Your best bet might be to find another player and do the same, eh? Free shipping and a good haul of stuff.. Worth it for the money I think, considering the free postage. I figured that with the BA in space angle, you can't really go far wrong, and if the players are there in the community it'll be a good excuse to proxy 40k stuff for the forseeable future. I reckon it has legs. If you take the plunge We can give it a go tail end of the year maybe..
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm interested as long as I can proxy for it. That kinda makes the starter set a bit of a non-starter for me, but as and when I get a chance to check out a rulebook and/or play a test game, I could certainly be tempted to start playing it from time to time. Depends on if it's any good, really :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Honestly, I think I'm going to pass. The minis don't do anything for me and as far as BA in Space goes, I still have several unpainted armies for the vanilla version. On top of all that, if I had any spare cash right now, there are a load of other things I have my eye on.
And before anyone suggests it, my opinion on proxying is common knowledge.

The game could be awesome, but I'll be good and work at finishing projects off before considering starting any new ones.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 am

Had a quick game using the beta rules on the weekend. We had 3 x 5-man infantry squads, a 3 man command squad and a support weapon team/support drone each (proxied marines and SoB!).

While I'm sure we got some things wrong, overall I enjoyed the ruleset. Although at first glance it's 'BA in space', there are quite a few small changes (I wonder if some of these will be part of BA v2 sometime in the future?).
Some examples of changes in basic rules compared to BA:
• Infantry squads can sprint (3 x move) but must make an agility test or receive a pin
• Command squads can activate nearby unactivated and unpinned squads to do the same order as the command squad (this does consume the dice for the activated squad, but allows you to activate several squads at once).
• Units fired at within 12" can react and fire back
• Close combat consists of a shooting phase then a hth combat phase
• Units that are 'down' have to make a test to not stay down in the subsequent turn

It's piqued my interest enough to order the starter box. I'd say Eldar or Tau would most easily proxy into the aesthetic of the game for those who have them, although I intend to build at least one army from other non-GW non-Warlord sci-fi figures.

On that, if anyone has spare Tau drones to trade/sell, please let me know! :D

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:02 am

Lovejoy wrote:If you take the plunge We can give it a go tail end of the year maybe..
Sounds good to me!

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”