Would you rather...?

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Would you rather...?

Post by Primarch » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 am

Well folks, it's time for another "Prim has too much free time and not enough to occupy his mind" thread.

If you had to choose between the two games below, assuming all other things being equal, which would you choose and why?

Game A
Game A has fluff and background for every unit you will use in the game. Army lists dictate exactly which options you may select from. Armies are themed around one or two concepts. (E.g. Fast and shooty, slow and tough).

Game B
Game B has an open sandbox-y style background. There is fluff, but it has plenty of room for players to add in whatever they want. There are no army lists per se, instead players can choose from whatever they like and construct their own units from a set of menus.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Would you rather...?

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:12 am

Game B sounds more interesting because you can put more of your own ideas and imagination into it. If I had lots of time and opponents, I would choose this.

But given my current circumstances, I would probably choose Game A. This is because it looks like it would take less time to prepare for games, and that I would know what type of playstyle to expect from my opponent's army. Since I rarely play a specific Wargame more than a few times a year, it would be better for me.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 pm

B for my fella.

I'd like to have the ability to have the freedom to create what I want/need.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm

I like option B, as it allows for players to tailor their army to match their models. This makes it easier to start playing (as a new player). The options need to be clear, though, so there's no ambiguity. Also, there'd be a high probability of being able to break it using power combos.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm

I think the "game" part of B could get frustrating if you and your opponent weren't on exactly the same page vis a vis the scale between "constructing a cool, fluffy army" versus "constructing an army that will win games". I suspect it'd have to be either very tightly designed or go full DBA and basically have a small number of types of units that you can portray however you like on the tabletop.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 pm

The Other Dave wrote:I think the "game" part of B could get frustrating if you and your opponent weren't on exactly the same page vis a vis the scale between "constructing a cool, fluffy army" versus "constructing an army that will win games". I suspect it'd have to be either very tightly designed or go full DBA and basically have a small number of types of units that you can portray however you like on the tabletop.
Dragon Rampant seems to have taken the DBA path. Heavy cav, is heavy cav regardless of race.

I don't see it as the game part of B being frustrating, but rather the choice of opponent being the problem.
In a tournament setting, there wouldn't be much you could do about that, but rules like those would be more for an informal setting I'd imagine.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:33 am

Spevna wrote:I don't see it as the game part of B being frustrating, but rather the choice of opponent being the problem.
In a tournament setting, there wouldn't be much you could do about that, but rules like those would be more for an informal setting I'd imagine.
This is me thinking about the Joshin gaming group and going HMMMMMMMMM.

(Not, I should say, that I'm trying to say anyone in the group is a jerk or anything - just that there are some legit different approaches to this kind of thing even in only as small a group as we have.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:00 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Spevna wrote:I don't see it as the game part of B being frustrating, but rather the choice of opponent being the problem.
This is me thinking about the Joshin gaming group and going HMMMMMMMMM.

(Not, I should say, that I'm trying to say anyone in the group is a jerk or anything - just that there are some legit different approaches to this kind of thing even in only as small a group as we have.)

Fair point.

If you and I played a game where my space marines wanted to fight your space marines,and we both rocked up with very different space marines because the rules allowed us to make them as we see fit,someone wouldn't be too happy.

I reckon that these type of rules would lend themselves much better to a narrative driven game where the players sit down and work it all out together (or via mail/sms given what our schedules are like), and not everyone would be willing to do that I guess.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:41 am

Having read a few threads on other forums concerning different approaches to rules, (which is what prompted this thread), the feeling I got was that for pick up games, it was usually best to go with the restrictive approach because it does cut down on prep time and allows you to jump into a game easily.

I do think that the 'choose what you want' approach sounds like it could be more fun if you and your opponent are of one mind on things, or even if one person were organising the game for both players perhaps.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 am

would it be impossible to have both systems? Say, have the emphasis on "this is the standard style of game (type A) but here is an alternative set for those of you who are more narrative minded (introduce set B)" ??
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”