Blood and Plunder - A piratical kickstarter

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Blood and Plunder - A piratical kickstarter

Post by Primarch » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:26 pm

I've been eyeing up a campaign on Kickstarter called Blood and Plunder. It's a game of pirates, ships and fighting for treasure.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... escription
The 115USD starter set (1 ship, crew and all the play aids), runs to 60USD on shipping to Japan, which makes it rather pricey. The ship options are relatively cheap compared to other companies, even with shipping factored in.
The game looks ok, with rules for ship-to-ship combat as well as your usual swashbuckling style melee combat. I'd suggest giving the video a watch to see what you think.
The minis are of a comparable size to the Black Scorpion/Cutlass minis, though purely historical. (No Orcs, Elves or Undead). They come with an integral 20mm base, but could easily be stuck onto a 25mm plastic base. The minis are single piece, metal casts, though there are a lot of repeated models among the rank and file.

The KS runs until the middle of May and is already well funded. Delivery is expected around the end of the year.

Any thoughts?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Re: Blood and Plunder - A piratical kickstarter

Post by Spevna » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm keen for some pirate action, but I've got the Legends of the high seas book that I want to try.

I've got a ship too actually, but not a crew :?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:28 pm

Spevna wrote:I'm keen for some pirate action, but I've got the Legends of the high seas book that I want to try.

I've got a ship too actually, but not a crew :?
I've heard good stuff about LotHS, (but sadly it is now out of print). So I don't mind giving that a try. I also reckon that ITEN would work as well.
Crew wise, the best selections IMHO come from Foundry (28mm scale) and Black Scorpion (32mm scale). These new B&P minis are closer to the 32mm scale according to pictures I've seen online. I'm primarily interested in this KS for the ships, though as a complete package (rules and minis), it's not a bad deal.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am

It all looks very decent. Pirates were a childhood obsession. I'm most interested in the ships. I have a jolly boat and an mdf sloop, but a big resin merchant man or frigate would be the proverbial bees nuts.
Foundry would probably be my first call for minis, but Black Scorpion are fantastic in their heroic, Pyle-pirate-art inspired take on the genre too. Both ranges feature in the Legends of the High Seas book facing off in the same photos with no big discernable difference in height, but some clever angles have been used to mitigate the size differences (for general eye candy, and everything else you want in a pirate rulebook, it is a fantastic book to have- it seems to feature a heck of a lot of manufacturers, and cianty's site (?) even matches the models in the book to the makers. But it's hard to locate now, Spev and I have a copy though).

Their own cards, dice etc seem nicely done and I wouldn't be adverse to other rulesets.
Can I afford it? I dunno. I want though.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 am

I guess one of the good points of playing games with historical minis is that there is no shortage of available rules.

I'm not sure whether to go in for the full package, or to just get a couple of ships, or somewhere in the middle. I have a handful of BS minis, but they've switched over to resin now, so I doubt I will be buying any more. Foundry are nice, but not exactly cheap. The minis in the KS look ok and are a good price, but shipping is an issue. Too many choices!

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”