Fantasy Flight's making a miniatures game, apparently!

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Fantasy Flight's making a miniatures game, apparently!

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 pm

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... ures-game/

Ranked units, X-wing/Armada-ish movement and orders (and alternating unit activation with initiative determined by the orders you give, sexy!), 4-armed war golems and skeletons riding giant worms.

I'm intrigued!

Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: Fantasy Flight's making a miniatures game, apparently!

Post by YellowStreak » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 am

Looks interesting!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Looks interesting, nice mins.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm

hmmmmmnnn.

yes... while im not about to jump in with both feet quite yet, i shall certainly be watching how this develops with keen interest.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:42 am

I like the big beasties. They are quite original.
The human infantry remind me of the blue faction from Warmachine, and the skeletons look like Mantics undead. Bit meh.
I am very keen to see FFG rules for this as their track record is solid. Never played a FFG I didn't like.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:13 am

Yeah, the factions are looking a bit generic-fantasy, but then FFG's proprietary setting is a bit generic-fantasy, so. :D

Presumably they'll add more factions later - FFG tends to take an "add expansions if and only if a game does well" approach.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:35 am

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, the factions are looking a bit generic-fantasy, but then FFG's proprietary setting is a bit generic-fantasy, so. :D

Presumably they'll add more factions later - FFG tends to take an "add expansions if and only if a game does well" approach.
It's not like WFB minis weren't fairly generic anyway. FFG do produce some nice stuff, but they aren't a minis company as such. I would imagine the figures will be clip together, limited pose types. Not a bad thing when building massive hordes.

As to whether the game does well, there are already a few successors to WFBs crown out there. KoW, 9th Age and Hail Mike for example. If GW thought it couldn't make WFB viable before, it'll be interesting to see how other companies fare.

I do like the bases those minis are on. Very cool idea!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 am

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, the factions are looking a bit generic-fantasy, but then FFG's proprietary setting is a bit generic-fantasy, so. :D

I didn't know they had their own fantasy setting. I'll shall have to read up on it.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:28 am

Spevna wrote:

I didn't know they had their own fantasy setting. I'll shall have to read up on it.
It's where Descent and Runebound are set - I actually don't know much about them besides through reading about Descent, which is pretty, well, generic-fantasy, heh.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:40 am

Primarch wrote:It's not like WFB minis weren't fairly generic anyway. FFG do produce some nice stuff, but they aren't a minis company as such. I would imagine the figures will be clip together, limited pose types. Not a bad thing when building massive hordes.
I'm told their minis production has taken a massive step up in quality in the past year or so. The word from people at gencon is that the minis for Runewars will be two or three piece clip together jobs on the whole, though, so that you really can play out of the box. I agree that arguably a good thing for big-army wargames. (I actually kind of like how the ad copy basically says "and you could even paint them, if you wanted to!" - it shows that they're aiming for people new to wargaming-as-we-know-it.)
Primarch wrote:As to whether the game does well, there are already a few successors to WFBs crown out there. KoW, 9th Age and Hail Mike for example. If GW thought it couldn't make WFB viable before, it'll be interesting to see how other companies fare.
While Hail Mike is, of course, a gem of wargaming perfection, 9th age is basically a community reboot of WFB, yeah? That leaves KoW as the only professionally-made game trying to take up the mantle of "rank-and-file fantasy miniatures wargame," and while it's taken off into the vacuum left by WFB, it's not without its warts and is still (from what I've seen) not really innovative in the way that Runewars seems to be aiming to be, being essentially a streamlined WFB in a lot of ways.

The big strike against Runewars will be that it's the first attempt at such a game that isn't aimed squarely at people with big WFB armies and begging them to use the minis they have with whatever new rules people are cooking up.
-----

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”