Big News!

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Big News!

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 am

GW, in 2008: Here, Fantasy Flight, make games based on our intellectual property. Go forth and make us both a bunch of money!

FFG: *makes lots of games that are cool and good*

GW, in 2016: Ok stop now

Probably won't hurt FFG much, since X-wing and Star Wars in general is their current license-to-print-money, but some good games are falling by the wayside - and, sort of sadly, this really spells the for-real end of the Old World (outside of a couple computer games anyway), since the FFG licensed stuff was the only thing keeping it alive.

My personal feeling is that this is a typically short-sighted move on GW's part that will cost them, but that may just be a knee-jerk reaction to everything GW doing seeming like a dumb short-sighted move these days. Some folks are saying it's GW being upset at FFG moving more and more into miniatures, first with Imperial Assault and now the newly-announced Rune Wars, but the fact that FFG's now owned by the Hasbro-level Asmodee, and GW not wanting a big company like that having any fingers in their IP pie, might be an issue as well. Who knows!

It does mean you have til February to get all those WHFRP and Rogue Trader books you were thinking of getting, though.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Big News!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:49 am

I suspect there's more to it than simply "hey, stop making games that make our games look bad". The Asmodee thing is probably relevant, and it could be as simple as GW demanding X amount of money for the renewal of the licence and Asmodee saying "nope." There's also the announcement regarding FF's new fantasy game. It does seem counter inuitive to allow what is increasingly a rival in the miniatures wargame market to continue to make money from your IP (even if in doing so you are making some money yourself.) Likewise, GW is moving into FF's board game territory (Betrayal on Calth, Warhammer Quest) so it could easily just be a case of two companies working in related but separate industries morphing into two companies who are directly competing in each other's markets.

Still, it's a shame Talisman and the RPG stuff is on the way out :(
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 am

Oh, sure - the imaginary conversation was for comedy purposes as much as anything. I'm sure there are serious grown-up business reasons for it all, heh.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 am

Given how many RPG games they have made and then stopped adding to the line when they felt they were finished actually makes me happy. 40k is a deep universe. Just stopping all of a sudden really makes me as a customer feel like they used me as a cow for milk.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Seem to remember reading something months back (BoLS maybe?) about GW looking to find new companies who would be interested in picking up their licences - one of these being pimped was Fury of Dracula, which seemed odd at the time as it was then a FFG thing. Are they looking to do more digitally with existing licences?
Find other boardgames companies to bring old games back?
And there are rumours about their own redos of Dark Future, Necromunda, Mordheim etc.
Now it seems obvious why FFGs Warhammer Quest was a card game relatively unrelated to the original board game - they were wanting to resurrect it... But then we got Silver Tower. Which the old guard are unlikely to want.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”