The Other Side

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

The Other Side

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Wyrd, the company behind Malifaux is expanding their portfolio with a new game called The Other Side.

The Other Side of what, I hear you ask. Well, for those of you who know Malifaux, it's the other side of the Breach, ie Earth. With the events in Shifting Loyalties (Malifaux book 3), Ripples of Fate (book 4) and Through The Breach (Malifaux RPG), it would appear that multiple smaller breaches opened and a horde of Malifaux denizens came through and invaded London. At the same time, various countries have risen up against the control of the Guild and are seeking to lake their own way in the world.

The Other Side uses some of the same mechanics as Malifaux such as a Fate Deck and a Control Hand. The games are supposed to be incompatible. TOS is a unit level game. Models come on unit bases with unit cards, though some bigger models will be solo. The game will play on a 6'x4' table (rather than Malifaux's 3'x3') and each player will have strategies and schemes in a similar fashion to Malifaux. Whereas usual wargames feature morale as a penalty for units which get beaten in combat, TOS is using it as a reward for units which are successful. Each unit card has two faces, one for the regular unit and one for their moment of Glory. Glory units get suped up abilities and better stats as they push themselves that extra step.

Currently there are 4 factions in development.
King's Empire - British with a mix of Late Victorian, Steampunk and a dash of WW1 thrown in. The shooty faction.
Gibbering Hordes - The invaders from Malifaux. Cthulu-esque amphibious monstrosities. - The gribbly faction.
Cult of the Burning Man - Warped and twisted by magic, the previews look similar to the Lynch crew from Malifaux. - The Magic/Tricksy faction.
Abyssinia - Highly advanced technology and magic blended together. - The Elite faction.

More details and previews can be found here: https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side
and here: http://themostexcellentandawesomeforume ... 16/?page=1 - The two huge minis at the back and the two smaller ones on the right are for TOS. There are more pics of the smaller minis on page 2 of that thread. The robot is from Empire, the monster is from Hordes and the human figures are from Cult. The rest of the preview figures are from Malifaux.

There is a Kickstarter launching in about 2 weeks, so I'm probably going to get in on that.
See you on The Other Side.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

komura
Veteran

Re: The Other Side

Post by komura » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32 pm

Thank you for introducing interesting game. I may go for it.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 am

hmmn. I actually really like the malifaux background, but am not sure I need/can actually play another game. Also, while I do approve of their moving the plot on every time a new book comes out, I havent actually got the RPG book, so had no idea the multiple breaches had led to incursions on earth. Could get messy if they have 3 games, each of which has updates, as well as their occasional global campaigns all adding to an ongoing plot. If you play them all, then fine, but for those of us who don't have infinite gaming time, it'll get very hard to keep up pretty soon. Still, Wyrd do nice minis - I'll certainly take a gander at the KS. Depends on the buy-in, I spose.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:08 am

Yeah, I don't play the RPG and I haven't bought any of the books for it. I have been reading the fluff in the Tabletop Books and the Wyrd Magazine (free online). It has gotten a lot better since they first started and they are tying more things together. It is much more of a complete world (2 actually) than it used to be.
I don't need a new game, but if I am going to pick up a new one, Wyrd have done a good job of convincing me that they know what they are doing.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Promo video for the game's factions is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSqhocRM4Y

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 am

So far, I am liking what I see. The big stompy mechs are suitably big and stompy and the gribbly stuff is very gribbly. There are minis from all the factions that look awesome. Hopefully the KS will be reasonably well priced.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am

It's certaily piqued my interest!

Looking forward to seeing the kickstarter. :)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 am

Hmm, yes, OK, another unit-level fantasy game, OK. I was already planning to buy into Fantasy Flight's new game coming out early next year, so I don't

<record scratch>

Crap. I'm dooooomed.

(The fact that it's an obviously female model with sensible, non-boob-plate armor and no high heels just kinda seals it for me, TBH. We need to encourage that kind of goodness!)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:47 am

Finally got round to watching that video. Resolve weakening...

Can I call dibs on the cult of the burning man? Or would that be presumptuous... :P

Also, did I just see ToD express interest in a 28mm scale wargame? Eh? Whut?!?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 am

me_in_japan wrote:Can I call dibs on the cult of the burning man? Or would that be presumptuous... :P
They certainly have a fair level of gribblyness about them. Given the usual minis you seem to pick up, (Cryx, Nurgle, Lynch's crew) and the lack of a Swoosh faction, I figured they'd appeal to you. :D

The Imperialist in me is digging the King's Empire, but the Abyssinians look pretty cool as well. I like some of the Cult minis, the same goes for the Hordes, just not as much as I like the mechs. Definitely tempted to pit the Empire Robot against the Horde Beasty and do games of Atlantic Rim. Jaeger Vs. Kaiju, Victorian style!

Wyrd have said they have 2 more videos coming soon and the KS starts in a week or so. I'll keep posting updates here.

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”