The Other Side

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Other Side

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

The following might be handy for folks who base their purchases on aesthetics rather than rules.

Pics of all models (unlocked and otherwise) for ToS:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/kings-empire
https://www.wyrd-games.net/abyssinia
https://www.wyrd-games.net/gibbering-hordes
https://www.wyrd-games.net/cult-of-the-burning-man
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Those ECB Black Ops minis look great.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 pm

It's funny. They're undoubtedly great sculpts, but of all the units for CotBM, theyre the one that I want to buy least. They just dont seem to fit with the rest of the army in terms of gribbliness. They'd be great as steampunky eccentric inventors wiv guns, but as followers of some kind of daemonic power they dont really seem to gel. I dunno - I aint up to date with the fluff. Maybe Cherufe really likes him some electro-zap guns?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:31 pm

me_in_japan wrote:It's funny. They're undoubtedly great sculpts, but of all the units for CotBM, theyre the one that I want to buy least. They just dont seem to fit with the rest of the army in terms of gribbliness. They'd be great as steampunky eccentric inventors wiv guns, but as followers of some kind of daemonic power they dont really seem to gel. I dunno - I aint up to date with the fluff. Maybe Cherufe really likes him some electro-zap guns?
I think they are supposed to be King's Empire agents infiltrating the cult or some such. Not sure on that though.

From the designer of the game.
The British gov had locked up a madman who had been gathering a following in London. It turns out some of the things he said started to come true, etc with the Burning Man and so forth. He was transferred to the Extraordinary Cases Bureau for further study.

I'll let you figure it out from there.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:45 pm

I quite like the idea of the Abyssinia - the unique mix of tribal tradition with sudden and rapid modernisation.

That said, as a Musketeers fan, I really dig the King's Empire Infiltrators :D

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, definitely Hordes for me. Gibber gibber!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 am

For those who haven't been following the TOS KS, there have been a number of flows of conversation on their page. People saying yay, people saying boo, whatevers. Mostly I think this is an interesting KS to watch for how Wyrd are managing it, and (speculatively) their goals. Today, however, we got a good update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... ts/1776692

This should speed things up nicely, and also makes the whole shebang a much better deal financially. I'm almost probably definitely in for about 200bucks for the Cult. That should see me with enough stuff to play at a 2 commander level and also be painting mutie gribblies for all of 2018, most likely :)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:49 am

So, Kojibear came over today for a game of Malifaux (which I lost). As we were chatting over lunch, the subject of this KS came up. Koji asked me why we should play The Other Side instead of regular Malifaux. Being honest, I could not come up with a reason why. The games are slightly different, but still largely the same in terms of mechanics. The $150+ Dollars buy in would buy a lot of Malifaux kits as well.

Usually selling me on a new game is easy. I have the willpower of a drunken child with ADD and no parental supervision....

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

That's a question I've been asking myself, too. I think it can be argued that the scale itself is a selling point. Somewhat similar to how you can choose to use a few 28mm scale minis to play napoleonics, with each representing a unit, or you can go the whole mile and have scores of minis in a single unit. The latter is definitely more work/investment, but even a non-historical like me can see the awesome in it. Not exactly the same, of course, but the visual appeal is certainly a factor. In the same vein, the titans are kind of appealing, in that they'll look good on the tabletop. I also kind of think that if Prim, Kbear, ToD, Komura and myself all start this, it'd be a nice group new-toy we could encourage each other to play/paint. *

There's a couple of weeks left on the KS, so I suppose the thing to do is wait and see how you feel then. No rush to decide anything just yet. I'd be less willing to buy in if it looked like there wouldnt be anybody to play against round here. With DFC I at least have 2 fleets so I can supply an opponent with minis etc. With TOS an opponent with their own stuff would be a pre-requisite to actually playing. At the moment, though, I'm still in, pretty enthusiastically, actually.

*edit* I tend to base my purchases on aesthetics, which is why I haven't discussed rules differences. There're probably a few critical ones that make for a different experience. I suspect, for example, that it's faster than Mali in many ways.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 am

Hmm. So if I were to (still hypothetically, at this point) make a decision between backing the Other Side kickstarter or just giving Malifaux proper another shot, you'd suggest the latter? A diverse 8 or 10 model skirmish force is pretty much what I think 28mm does best, and is also something that I can manage to paint. :lol:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”