Fantasy Wargaming - How do you like it?

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.

Which of the following styles do/would you prefer for Fantasy Battles

1 model = 1 man, small units of about 10 models, Units>Heroes
30%
1 model = 1 man, large units of about 20-30 models, Units>Heroes
50%
1 model = several men, large units of around 20-30 models, Units>Heroes
No votes
1 model = 1 man, small units of about 10 models, Heroes>Units
10%
1 model = 1 man, large units of about 20-30 models, Heroes>Units
10%
1 model = several men, large units of around 20-30 models, Heroes>Units
No votes

Total votes: 10

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Fantasy Wargaming - How do you like it?

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 am

Fantasy armies. Most of us have them, but since WFB went belly-up, they barely get any tabletop time anymore.
Pikey has made a valiant first effort with his War Pike rules and seems keen to work on that, but I'm wondering what the best way forward is for everyone else.
It seems like there are several options available, so let's run through them.

There are a few games out there that focus on clashes between warbands of 50-60 minis, grouped into small units. Age of Sigmar, Lion/Dragon Rampant, Saga etc. Each model is one man and fights/takes damage as such.
Then there are the various versions of WFB and it's successors where armies of a couple of hundred minis clash. Each model still represents one guy and they may attack individually.
Finally there are the other big army games, War Pike and Hail Caesar. Individual models don't do anything, they just represent units on the tabletop. A unit of 20 guys might be representing 200 warriors for example. The exact number of figures doesn't matter, everything is abstracted.

In the poll I gave two sets of options. In the first, units are more important than uber characters. In the second, super-powerful individuals that can mince units are the norm.

So what do you think? What works best and why?

(And yes, I have missed the small Mordheim/Frostgrave skirmish games from the list as I think they are something distinctly different).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Re: Fantasy Wargaming - How do you like it?

Post by Spevna » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 pm

I voted for units of around ten, and rules where units trump heroes.

I'm not against playing games with larger units, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Painting up several smaller units is more fun than painting up a few large ones for me.

If I were to go with bigger unit games, I'd probably go for Warmaster scale stuff.

Dragon Rampant and Saga (plus the fantasy fan made supplements) are the ones I'm most keen to try.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I voted small units and heroes > units, because I think small skirmishy games of a dozen or so models per side, with cool individual characters (read: heroes), is where 28mm shines, and I went ahead and assumed anybody but me would be talking about 28mm. :lol:

That said, Mike's Hail Caesar hack, which is firmly in the "large units, units > heroes" camp, was good fun, and I do admit having my yoooge goblin force on the table is impressive, even if it doesn't allow for much in the way of maneuver. But! The fantasy game I'd really like to play, if I had my druthers, is, as Spevna says, Warmaster / Hail Caesar / ancients mass battles ruleset of your choice, at 10 or 6mm, with beefy units and heroes having little effect on the swing of the battle aside from through leadership.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:13 am

All of the above; it depends on the setting. "Figure ratio" is up to the individual players unless you're doing a historical game. I prefer units of 15 - 30 miniatures; that's about enough to look like a regiment, and not just five guys huddling together for warmth.

As for the relative effectiveness of heroes and units, that depends on the setting. For various flavours of Warhammer, I want big powerful heroes - especially if they're on a monstrous mount. Same for something like Wargods. For other settings, I'm fine with heroes simply being a slight bonus to a unit's effectiveness. Lord of the Rings sort of straddles the two; unnamed captains aren't particularly powerful but can give a unit a slight edge, but then Gandalf, the Witch-King and Aragorn are mighty heroes (and a demigod) of myth and legend, and should behave as such. :) Ideally the rules will have room for sword-swinging warriors, fireball-flinging wizards and wise commanders watching the battle from a vantage point and issuing commands.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm kind of torn about what type of game I'd like to play. On the one hand, painting small units is, as Spev says, more fun than painting large blocks of troops. On the other hand, large blocks of troops moving around look better than a handful of guys. I was never a fan of the 5 man unit in WFB.
I'm not overly fond of super-powerful heroes that smash everything in front of them, but having guys on the table who are clearly heroic does work better in a fantasy setting. I guess having at least a minimum amount of vulnerability to mass attacks from regular troops is best for me. As with other genres, overpowered units/monsters/characters just aren't that much fun to play against.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 am

Units of 20 to 30 models. But then I'm weird and like batch painting big units of all the same colour scheme. Also I'm an Orc and Goblin player so prefer a big horde. :mrgreen: Oh happy days. I do miss fantasy battle. Can't find anyone that plays fantasy now even those who own armies. Vets are still licking their woulds. Ironically Age of Sigmar has been well received by those who have bothered to play and invest.
Last edited by ashmie on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:36 am

Option 1 and 4 are the same? Maybe. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:11 am

The only fantasy tabletop games i played are Chronopia and Rackhams game, Warmahordes i classify as a steampunk game too much tech to be a pure fantasy game.

Never been a fan of the blocks of troops of the old WHFB system

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”