Gaslands

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Gaslands

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 am

Recently I acquired a copy of the Gaslands rules from Osprey Games and I've been giving it a read through.
The game is a post-apocalyptic vehicle skirmish game. Think Mad Max, Death Race or trying to drive through the centre of Tokyo.
The rules look fairly simple, you build/equip your cars from a menu of options, put them on the table and try not to crash. :D Cars move using templates similar to X-Wing, change gears to decide how many times they activate in a turn, and build up hazard tokens to see how likely they are to spin out of control. There are options for bikes, buggies, monster trucks and, of course, War Rigs!
Models are just Tomika cars, (or Matchbox or Hot Wheels if you prefer) with half the contents of a standard Bitz Box stuck onto them, so should be cheap and easy to acquire.
The game contains campaign rules for the televised championships of the world's bloodiest motorsport as well as a selection of missions and optional bits and pieces.

Being an Osprey Game, the rules are fairly cheap and scale/mini agnostic (though 15-20mm seems to be the writer's preference given the large number of toy car makers in that range).

More info, pictures and a discussion forum can be found over at www.Gaslands.com

Gaslands own marketing intro:
[quote]Shoot, ram, skid and loot your way through the ruins of civilisation with Gaslands, a tabletop wargame of car-on-car destruction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Players control small fleets of armed vehicles in battles for resources, dominance and survival. With rules for multiple vehicle types (from motorbikes to big rigs), varied special weapons and accessories (including oil slicks, caltrops and nitro boosters), and a host of options for scenarios, environmental conditions, crew and campaigns, players can tailor games to match their own visions for an anarchic future.[/quote]

Currently, Osprey is having a summer sale, so a copy of the book will set you back 8.39GBP (1200 Yen). I figure that's cheap enough to consider giving it a try. I intend to buy some books from Osprey during the sale, so if you want a copy and want to avoid shipping costs, let me know. The sale ends Aug 31st, but I'll probably be ordering at some point before that.

Bonus points for the first person to convert a Doof Wagon!
http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/MAN_KAT_I_ ... Doof_Wagon"
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Gaslands

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about this game! A couple Japanese guys are planning on bringing it by to next week's Nagoya games day, so any interested parties should be able to give it a look.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Primarch wrote:Recently I acquired a copy of the Gaslands rules from Osprey Games and I've been giving it a read through.
The game is a post-apocalyptic vehicle skirmish game. Think Mad Max, Death Race or trying to drive through the centre of Tokyo.
The rules look fairly simple, you build/equip your cars from a menu of options, put them on the table and try not to crash. :D Cars move using templates similar to X-Wing, change gears to decide how many times they activate in a turn, and build up hazard tokens to see how likely they are to spin out of control. There are options for bikes, buggies, monster trucks and, of course, War Rigs!
Models are just Tomika cars, (or Matchbox or Hot Wheels if you prefer) with half the contents of a standard Bitz Box stuck onto them, so should be cheap and easy to acquire.
The game contains campaign rules for the televised championships of the world's bloodiest motorsport as well as a selection of missions and optional bits and pieces.

Being an Osprey Game, the rules are fairly cheap and scale/mini agnostic (though 15-20mm seems to be the writer's preference given the large number of toy car makers in that range).

More info, pictures and a discussion forum can be found over at http://www.Gaslands.com

Gaslands own marketing intro:
Shoot, ram, skid and loot your way through the ruins of civilisation with Gaslands, a tabletop wargame of car-on-car destruction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Players control small fleets of armed vehicles in battles for resources, dominance and survival. With rules for multiple vehicle types (from motorbikes to big rigs), varied special weapons and accessories (including oil slicks, caltrops and nitro boosters), and a host of options for scenarios, environmental conditions, crew and campaigns, players can tailor games to match their own visions for an anarchic future.
Currently, Osprey is having a summer sale, so a copy of the book will set you back 8.39GBP (1200 Yen). I figure that's cheap enough to consider giving it a try. I intend to buy some books from Osprey during the sale, so if you want a copy and want to avoid shipping costs, let me know. The sale ends Aug 31st, but I'll probably be ordering at some point before that.

Bonus points for the first person to convert a Doof Wagon!
http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/MAN_KAT_I_ ... Doof_Wagon"
Been meaning to give that a look myself, shiny and chromed.....
Hey, pick me up a copy!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am

Kojibear came over to my place today for a game of Dragon Rampant and Kill Team. We played DR in the morning and then went for lunch at Apita. Before we headed back to my place, we stopped in at Toys R Us and picked up a few Hot Wheels and Tomica cars. (100-400 yen per car means the buy in for Gaslands should be under 1000 yen for a full sized gang!).
A quick read through of the QRS and placing down some ruined walls for terrain and away we went. Lots of skidding, sliding and spinning saw the six cars on the table thrashed and bashed to bits, with some shooting along the way. My first car died under the combined fire of two of Team Koji's finest. The third of team Koji's finest died horribly when he crashed his Dune Buggy straight into a wall, flipped his car over it and smashed into the rear of one of my vehicles. Due to some horrible maneuvering, my second car and Koji's both wound up going over the edge of the table and into oblivion, which left our last cars, two high-speed super-cars, rattling around with only a single hull point left each. In the final turn of the game, Koji's ace driver, 'Edge', got my driver, 'Slick', dead centre in his sights. Edge emptied his magazines, but failed to find his mark as Slick slid his car sideways in front of Edge and put a bullet straight through Edge's windshield and into the hapless driver's skull. Unfortunately, Edge was doing well over 80mph and even in death he wasn't going to slow down. Realizing too late his predicament, Slick hit the accelerator, but with a resounding smash and the sound of plastic and aluminium buckling, Team Koji's car tore through the final vehicle of Team Prim. Slick was reduced to a red smear among the warped remains of his customised sports car as the crowd went wild at the shocking turn of events.

So, how was the game itself?

From a mechanical point of view, there are a lot of times when you need to roll dice, that often don't change much in game. However, there is a lot to manage and keep an eye on. Going faster gives you more activations, but limits your ability to turn properly. It is also more hazardous. Get too many hazard tokens and you spin out of control. The templates take some getting used to as it is easy to over/understeer and so hit something unintentionally. However, with careful management of the movement templates, speed and hazard tokens, you can pull off some amazing twists and turns.
The game works well for a cinematic style of skirmish games. At times we found ourselves trying to figure how the drivers had managed to slip away so easily, or to collide so drastically. It's definitely not a game that takes itself too seriously.

A couple of games would be handy to get the feel for it properly, and with experience, there should be less accidental crashes (and more deliberate ones :twisted: ). I'm looking forward to playing it again and I'm off to try to get some work done on my team.

Witness Me!!!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 am

Some pictures from the Gaslands game I tried out with Kojibear.

And my team of cars,
Before:
After:

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 am

Now I'll have to build some tiny, tiny Diggachicks......
Crashing Hot Wheels! That sounds great!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:26 am

Konrad wrote:Now I'll have to build some tiny, tiny Diggachicks......
Crashing Hot Wheels! That sounds great!
Yep, it's loads of fun, plus you get to try out your mekboy skills in a different scale!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am

Gaslands? Sounds like Prim’s gaming room after a full day session of Black Powder Anglo-Zulu wargaming, crisps and fizzy drinks. :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

Mike the Pike wrote:Gaslands? Sounds like Prim’s gaming room after a full day session of Black Powder Anglo-Zulu wargaming, crisps and fizzy drinks. :lol:
3 months without posting anything and that's the best you can do? :roll:
I'll have you know, I hold you to a high standard of ridicule and insults. Fart jokes just aren't good enough! :D

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 am

Well, in my defense, I have been watching a lot of British comedies on YouTube lately....
Morituri nolumus mori!

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”