Two Tempting Kickstarters

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Two Tempting Kickstarters

Post by Primarch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 am

Since the last Reaper KS, I haven't seen much that caught my attention, and then all of a sudden, two Kickstarters come along at the same time.

The first is a Reaper related KS for their CAV line of Mecha minis.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/27 ... escription
The buy in is about US$100 plus shipping for 32 minis. The minis are a fair size, standing taller than a 40K Terminator on average.
Having had a flick through the CAV quickstart rules, they seem a little more involved than some systems (modifiers, degrees of success on tests, degradation of systems as you take damage), while being a lot simpler than Battletech.

The other KS that popped up today is from Fireforge Games, a plastic kit maker selling (largely) historical troops like Mongolians or Templar Knights. Their KS is for a new fantasy range. The starting factions are three different kits each for a medieval human army and an undead army. They seem to be roughly in scale with GW, Frostgrave etc and the renders and painted masters look good.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... =user_menu
The buy in is 140Euros for 96 plastic infantry and 12 cavalry, plus some walls and scenic stuff. You can pledge less and just get boxes of troops at about 16Euros for 12 guys.
The KS stated goals are to also produce some Orcs, Elves etc, which they have a few renders of.
I have some of their historical kits and they are pretty good. Not up to the standards of the Perrys in terms of detail, but well on a par with Gripping Beast and Warlord IMHO.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: Two Tempting Kickstarters

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I like the look of the fireforge stuff...
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Two Tempting Kickstarters

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm

I like the undead range, but given that Fireforge do a range of historical human models, I'm not sure if they also need a set of generic fantasy humans as well.

Having watched their KS and the comments for the past few days, I can see a few issues with their campaign. A few of their backers have been very vocal in demanding more free stuff and lower prices, comparing FF to Northstar's new Oathmark minis which are cheaper. The fact that Northstar is based in the same town as their mutual supplier (Renedra) and that FF is in Italy seems to have been overlooked by people complaining about the higher prices.

In an effort to raise capital, FF are offering their existing box sets at a discount and have promised a new faction if the KS is funded rather than as a late stretch goal. Both of which would place a higher burden on the company financially when the aim of KS is to allow new projects to be funded.

Add to all of that the whole UK supplier/mainland Europe distributor and the expected delivery date post Brexit and I wonder if they can really be successful or if this KS will cripple the company.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”