Board Games in Japan???

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Board Games in Japan???

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 am

I checked and there's actually a JIGG Tokai with a facebook group. It's not much, but when people are looking to sell games you can snag some good deals.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:28 am

Incidentally I played through the intro missions of Jaws of the Lion solo and it's pretty good! Gentle introduction to the mechanics, a well designed tutorial imo. I especially liked how the classes work, the ability/initiative deck is quite clever.

Compared to Blackstone Fortress it's heavier on the character side, so I'm following the suggestion to only use two characters rather than the full suite of four.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:14 am

Yeah, as I said in "what did you do today" I think even 2 characters are a bit fiddly for my tastes - handling 2 characters definitely felt crunchier than dealing with 4 Blackstone characters, and the cards take up a lot of table real estate. It's fun, though, and sometimes straight-up hard in a way that Blackstone often isn't (I bounced off the first boss fight after the intro missions a couple times before finding a mix of characters and abilities that worked for me - fortunately there isn't really a penalty for losing, or at least wasn't for that mission). Which is a good thing!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am

Yeah it took me basically a whole day to do those intro scenarios, I'm pretty sure extra characters would overwhelm the advantages of playing solo for timeframe. OTOH once you know your deck I think it'd play fast, there's a big difference between paging through your hand multiple times and going straight to the two cards you need for a given situation.

On topic for this thread and *haven - Frosthaven still has its pledge manager open, and it's $130 + $35 shipping to Japan. I liked JotL enough to pull the trigger on that, because I can imagine it'll be miserable to source here later based on what you and I paid for JotL.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am

I'm definitely enjoying it, and deckbuilding basically coming down to "which 4 of the cards you have do you not want to take" should make it easy to get a handle on things. I'm probably making things harder for myself by wanting to try out all four characters too. :lol:
Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am
On topic for this thread and *haven - Frosthaven still has its pledge manager open, and it's $130 + $35 shipping to Japan. I liked JotL enough to pull the trigger on that, because I can imagine it'll be miserable to source here later based on what you and I paid for JotL.
That is the nice thing about Kickstarter - you can usually get quite a lot of boardgame for reasonable shipping all told. I have two games in the pipeline (Unsettled due to be shipped February-ish, and Darkest Dungeon due in a year or so), and want to avoid having too much more than that.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:59 am

Oh wow, I'm definitely looking into splitting Frosthaven with some friends then.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:01 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:59 am
Oh wow, I'm definitely looking into splitting Frosthaven with some friends then.
Not to infect you with FOMO (which I definitely got hit by), but if so you might want to hurry since they're allegedly closing it soonish.

Return to “Other Games - 他のゲーム”