NagoyaHammer 2015 - Preliminary ideas.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: So, NagoyaHammer 2015 then?

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:06 am

jehan-reznor wrote:I have no issue with one day 40K of course, on the other day, i would like to see people take more other stuff, i would like to try other systems, for example i could take my Dust tactic (and Dust warfare rules) starter box for other people to try out. Working on Infinity now and by next year i probably have 2 factions.

How will next year 40K tournament be? unbound or not? restrictions on vehicles or flyers? Etcetera.
Dust Tactics is a fun game!

Tournament (or campaign or whatever) isn't decided yet and will get it's own discussion thread.

@All - It seems like there is some interest in doing more than just freeplay games of 40K on the second day of the event. I'll leave this thread open for further comments as a few regulars haven't said anything either way yet, but I'll work on the assumption that everyone is happy playing a mix of games and that some noble souls will volunteer their time and effort into putting on something special.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Totally up for anything. I like 40k these days so I would want to play that. Could put a board together given enough warning.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:55 pm

I am very strongly considering buying the new starter set for infinity (out in september). Would I be wasting my money in doing so, or would folks be willing to play a demo game of it at naghammer? My motivation is that I've always thought the minis were cool, and there are only 14 in the starter box (thats both factions combined) so I could definitely (well, probably) get it all painted in time for naghammer. Also, the box comes with scenery and counters n all that stuff.

Any interest out there in a spot of hi-tech future shootin' action? I'm just thinking demo game participation, not buying into a new game or owt.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I am very strongly considering buying the new starter set for infinity (out in september). Would I be wasting my money in doing so, or would folks be willing to play a demo game of it at naghammer? My motivation is that I've always thought the minis were cool, and there are only 14 in the starter box (thats both factions combined) so I could definitely (well, probably) get it all painted in time for naghammer. Also, the box comes with scenery and counters n all that stuff.

Any interest out there in a spot of hi-tech future shootin' action? I'm just thinking demo game participation, not buying into a new game or owt.
Definitely - I've heard good things about it.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 am

Infinity Minis + M_i_J's Painting? Sounds like a winning combo to me. Infinity isn't a game I have a whole lot of interest in buying into, but I'd be happy to give it a shot and see how it plays.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 am

Primarch wrote:Infinity Minis + M_i_J's Painting? Sounds like a winning combo to me. Infinity isn't a game I have a whole lot of interest in buying into, but I'd be happy to give it a shot and see how it plays.
Seconded :)

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:48 am

I seem to remember Jehan-reznor had picked it up, and Ashmie was keen a bit back, so Infinity could be a winner for demo participants as the interest is there.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 am

@M_i_j - It seems unanimous. Best look into getting a copy of the game. :)
If you want to of course.

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:24 am

Lovejoy wrote:I seem to remember Jehan-reznor had picked it up, and Ashmie was keen a bit back, so Infinity could be a winner for demo participants as the interest is there.
Yep, working on a nomad squad right now, probably will order a few more before next year and will order de rulebook for sure.
I find Operation Ice storm's price too steep, but then i have no room for scenery in my small apartment.
http://infinitythegame.com/store/articu ... =3&id=2344

Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer 2015 - Preliminary ideas.

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:24 am

Following on from the last thread, about planning what to do next year, I figured a more specific thread to discuss individual ideas might be good. (Ok, I just like starting new threads, I admit it).

The consensus so far is one day of organised 40K and one day of free play 40K alongside demos of other games and participation activities.

So, let's say you want to get involved in organising something, what should that entail?
First off, I'm not asking anyone to go out, buy 1000 minis and get them painted by the event. The onus is on you to provide everything necessary for whatever it is you are planning beyond the staples of a pile of d6's and a tape measure. This means you need to account for minis, terrain, rules, hand outs, odd sized dice, templates and the like. I will help out with whatever I can, my collection is wide open if folks want to use some of my minis. If it is a system/army I am interested in and you can source the minis (I'll pay for them, I just need help getting them past the security at my front door...), I will help out with assembling and painting some of it. (I average about 30-40 minis a month if I try). Same thing goes for terrain.

It will probably help to have a partner for what you are doing so that you can share the workload, playtest the mission and on the day, can take turns running things so that you can enjoy some gaming yourself. It also means that if one of you can't make it, your hard work doesn't go to waste.

It is your responsibility to know the rules and to be able to explain them (or fudge them) if need be. Reference sheets for players will be very helpful too.

What game should you organise?
Let's face it, there are a load of games available these days and we all have our favourites. Choose something you have a keen interest in. Maybe some people will try it, like it and pick it up. Maybe they won't. Either way, you can maybe play it again in the future. It doesn't matter if you want to run a game of something that everyone plays or that only you like at this stage.

Either you can run a demo game of a system that isn't so big around these parts (e.g. Infinity, Pike & Shotte, DZC etc), or you can run a participation game of something that people know how to play, based around a specific event (Battle for Macragge for 40K, Arnhem for BA, Borodino for Black Powder etc), or just a specific theme (Warbike racing in 40K, Jousting in FB etc). It's really up to you.

However, to ensure that attendees can enjoy themselves and so that you can do multiple sessions/play a few games yourself, games should follow a couple of guidelines:
- Playable in 2.5 - 3 hours.
- Easy to pick up if it's a new system.
- Victory conditions which allow both sides a fair chance to win. (Asymmetrical conditions are fine).

And that's about all I have for now.
Please discuss below. As before, nothing is set in stone (the event hall can't be booked for a couple of months yet), I just want to get the ball rolling and see if anyone has any ideas. :D

Return to “NH2015”