NH2015 - 40K Campaign - The Main Event

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: NH2015 - 40K Campaign - The Main Event

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Intriguing. I approve of this approach. Simple, yet narrative. I'm still prett sure I can't make it, but if I can go I suspect I shall enjoy this :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 am

The Plot is a key part of the campaign for each player. As well as the usual winning/losing of games, the goal of the campaign is to advance your Plot Character along their storyline and raise them from one of the rank and file of your army to a noteworthy character.

At the beginning of the campaign choose one model based on the following criteria:
Unit type: Not a Monstrous Creature, Artillery or Vehicle.
Must not have the Independent Character special rule.
Must have the Character special rule.
Must be part of a squad.
May not be an HQ choice.

In other words, the model chosen should fulfil the role of a squad sergeant or other team leader.

The model chosen as your Plot Character should be visibly modelled, painted or marked as such for ease of recognition on the table top.

At the start of the campaign, the chosen model uses his normal stat-line and equipment.

If you can capture your Campaign Objective Marker* during a game, your Plot Character will advance one step along your Plot. Note that your Plot Character does NOT need to be the one to capture the Campaign Objective Marker, though if they do, that is great.

*Remember, you need to secure it for either one full turn OR secure it on the last turn of the game.

Plot
1st Step: Your Plot Character gets +1 Wound (max 4), +1 WS or BS (max 7), +1 Initiative (Max 7). Choose ANY one Warlord trait from the core rulebook. From now on, your Plot Character has this rule, but it only applies to himself and his squad. (Traits which effect enemy units may not be chosen)
2nd Step: Your Plot Character gets +1 Wound (max 4), +1 Ld (max 10), +1 WS or BS (max 7). Choose any one unique piece of wargear from your Codex worth up to 50 points, that has not already been equipped by a model in your army.
Each codex has a different name for it's unique wargear. E.g. Marines have Chapter Relics, Chaos Marines have Chaos Artefacts.
If your codex doesn't contain a unique wargear list, choose any one piece of wargear from your armoury worth up to 50 points.
The model must be eligible to use the chosen piece of wargear. (So no adding a Jump Pack to a guy on a bike for example).
3rd Step: Your Plot Character has achieved his destiny and has entered your army's history books. No doubt he/she/it will go on to lead your forces to victory across a score of worlds, laying waste to your foes and bringing glory to your name.

As your Plot Character advances through the steps of the Plot, it doesn't need to remain WYSIWYG, though if someone were to model the different stages of their character, that would be awesome. :D

------------------------------------------------

Closing thoughts.

I really hope that everyone approves of my concept for this year's game. Every year I want to make NagoyaHammer an event that people look forward to and are keen to attend. This year I want to try out something a little different and more unique compared to our regular games.

As always, the aim of the event is to have fun playing with friends regardless of winning or losing. Uber-lists designed to table your opponent as quickly as possible are probably best kept for tournaments. Please bring along an army that will be fun for you to play with and for your opponent to play against.

The decreasing size of armies throughout the day should make for some interesting games later on, but even at the worst, you will have half your army on the table at the start of each game. When it comes to working out which models you lose, try to balance your two piles out. Don't put all your best toys in one pile and then complain when they all get put back in your case. Players are of course free to cajole, bribe and encourage their opponents to pick a particular pile. Just remember that getting down on your knees and begging is demeaning and humiliating, so if your opponent does it, take some pictures. :twisted: Joking aside, we have a limited amount of time to play games in, so just go with the flow and move on ready for your next game.

The system outlined above relies on honesty between players. If your favourite models are removed from the campaign, I hope everyone will accept it and get on with what they have left. We're not bothering with any paperwork or record keeping as I feel that all of us are mature enough for it not to be a requirement.

Finally, on the subject of Campaign Objective Markers. Your opponent's marker has no benefit for you winning your game, at the same time, it is supposed to be the object of your opponent's Plot. Try to make sure that your opponent has a chance to capture it if they try to go for it, but don't make it too easy. Camping your entire army on it just to deny it to your opponent is rather unsporting. Likewise, no-one wants to hear a story of how Sergeant Jones strolled merrily over the battlefield to recover the lost relic without a single shot being fired his way, or even seeing an enemy on his trip. Play for your own objectives and try to make an interesting story out of it.

Thanks for reading. I will amend the original post so that all these rules can be easily referenced.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:29 am

This looks like fun! I forsee epic battles! Perhaps, even epic silliness! The names and deeds of our heros will be the stuff of game-geek legend for ages to come. Ah, the glory! At worst, it will be a most amusing experiment.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:36 am

It's an good, narrative approach, and should work really well. We'll have to make sure we have enough table space (aside from the playing tables I mean) for the seperate piles of minis, and not mess about too much when selecting them and putting them away, but I'm sure we can all do that :D
The only idea I had was that we could offer some in game incentive for fielding more varied, seldom seen and less obvious units in our lists.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:01 am

This is an awesome idea that has the potential to create heroes or see their noble flames flicker brightly and vanish into the grim darkness of obscurity...hopefully the former :D

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 am

Lovejoy wrote: The only idea I had was that we could offer some in game incentive for fielding more varied, seldom seen and less obvious units in our lists.
A good idea to let us get out the lonely minis that are left unpainted or collecting dust on the shelves. Not sure how we could do this though? Any ideas in mind for incentives? What were you thinking?

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:26 am

kojibear wrote:What were you thinking?
My god, man! What were you thinking, you blaggard?!

Amuses me to read it in that way, sorry. To be honest I haven't thought this through, have I? I just imagined say selecting 2 or 3 units from each codex which most people either don't take and/or see as a bit naff (40k veterans can help here)which are somehow of benefit if taken. Maybe they are unique in being able to achieve some minor boost or veterancy a bit like the plot character.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 am

Lovejoy wrote:

Amuses me to read it in that way, sorry. To be honest I haven't thought this through, have I? I just imagined say selecting 2 or 3 units from each codex which most people either don't take and/or see as a bit naff (40k veterans can help here)which are somehow of benefit if taken. Maybe they are unique in being able to achieve some minor boost or veterancy a bit like the plot character.
You run into problems when you realise that players don't always have the units that they don't use, or that they don't want them in their armies. For example, I have neither of the Centurion units for any of my marine armies because I think they look dumb.
I'll have a think about it though.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:33 am

Lovejoy wrote:I just imagined say selecting 2 or 3 units from each codex which most people either don't take and/or see as a bit naff (40k veterans can help here)which are somehow of benefit if taken. Maybe they are unique in being able to achieve some minor boost or veterancy a bit like the plot character.
There are so few units in the Soroitas book, I take most of the 'crappy' ones anyway... :lol:

Although that being said, the penitent engines did alright in my final game last Nagoyahammer! (alright means actually made contact with the enemy, rather than being exploded as they slowly trudge across the board).
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Lovejoy wrote:

Amuses me to read it in that way, sorry.
:D

You rascal, you cad...you rapscallion! I dare say you possess more cheek than one of Dicken's protagonists!

:D ;)

Return to “NH2015”