NH2015 - 40K Campaign - The Main Event

Primarch
Evil Overlord

NH2015 - 40K Campaign - The Main Event

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:23 pm

With the polls closed for the days and format of NagoyaHammer 2015, here is the necessary information for you to start planning your lists.

Games will be Single Player or Tag Team and all of them will be 1500 points.
If you decide to play as a Tag Team, you will need a 750 point list per player.
Tag Teams will be the same throughout the day.
It will be helpful if players prepare a Tag list just in case we don't have enough table space/too many players.
All armies will need to comply with the Combined Arms Detachment rules on Page 122 of the main rulebook.

NO Lords of War.
MAX 100 points of Fortifications

Tag Teams will have a Warlord each and can only have one detachment each. (The Combined Arms Detachment). All rules for the campaign will effect each player as if they were separate armies and players will have separate campaign objectives. Players will use the allies matrix in the main book for determining how their armies interact.

Single Players will have 1 Warlord and may include EITHER one Allied Detachment OR one Formation. However, the Allied Detachment/Formation must be less than 750 points. (ie less than 50% of the army)

Each Player will need a Campaign Objective Marker for use in the event. This should be mounted on a round base of between 25mm and 40mm and should(ideally) be thematically linked to your army.

The most up to date codex for your army should be used. If the codex is released in April 2015 or later, you may continue to use the old one. Imperial Armour books may be used with the exception of the Horus Heresy series. Again, newest versions where possible. Players should have a copy of ALL rules they are using - whether on paper, papyrus or tablet computer - for their opponents to read. Players will also need a clearly written/printed army list.

Models don't need to be painted, but anyone turning up with grey plastic or just a coat of primer should expect to be mocked and teased. :D

-------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 set up.
Players check that the terrain is set up to their liking. Then, one objective is placed dead centre in the table. Each player then places one more objective anywhere they like at least 12" from any other objective and at least 6" from any table edge.
Once the objective markers have been placed, players roll to see how they will deploy and who will deploy/go fist as usual from the rulebook. Once players have chosen their deployment areas and placed any fortifications, they must then place their Campaign Objective Marker touching their opponent's table edge. Tag teams should place their Campaign Objective Markers at least 12" apart.
Players then deploy and play as normal.
During the game, please take care to put all your casualties in a pile to one side of the table.
Victory is determined by holding the three regular objectives on the table and with the secondary objectives, First Blood, Slay The Warlord* and Linebreaker. The player with the most victory points wins.
At the end of the game, put any surviving models to one side. Any models summoned into play are removed and placed back in your army case.
*Tag Teams must nominate one of their Warlords to be worth a victory point at the start of the game.

The Campaign Objective Marker is worth zero victory points to both players, but is held and contested like a regular objective. Holding your enemy's Campaign Objective Marker gives you no bonuses or benefits, it simply denies it to your opponent.
If you can capture your own Campaign Objective Marker by the end of the game and hold it for at least one full turn OR be in possession of it at the end of the game, you will advance one step along your Plot. (See below). Tag team may only capture their OWN Campaign Objective Marker and will work out the steps of their Plot individually.

Once you have finished your game, each player takes their casualty pile, including all wrecked vehicles and follows these steps. Tag teams work out the following steps individually.
1. If your Warlord is in the pile, place him back on the table with their surviving models. The Warlord regains half his wounds rounded up. (E.g. if your Warlord was a 3W marine captain and was killed, he returns to the table with 2W).
2. If your Plot Character is in the pile, place him back on the table at full wounds.
3. Separate your remaining casualties into two piles containing an EQUAL number of Models. (E.g. you can put a Grot in one pile and a Battlewagon in the other). If there is an odd number, add the remaining model to either pile.
4. Your opponent chooses one pile to return to the table. The other pile is permanently removed from the event.
5. The winning player may choose one of their own models from their discarded pile to return to the table.
6. All models that were still on the table when the game finished regain all lost hull points and wounds.
7. Any monstrous creatures/characters returned to the table from the casualty pile regain half their wounds (rounded up)
8. Any vehicles returned to the table from the casualty pile regain 2 hull points.

Once you have determined which models you have available, move on to your next game, following the same rules for set up, victory and dealing with casualties.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Plot is a key part of the campaign for each player. As well as the usual winning/losing of games, the goal of the campaign is to advance your Plot Character along their storyline and raise them from one of the rank and file of your army to a noteworthy character.

At the beginning of the campaign choose one model based on the following criteria:
Unit type: Not a Monstrous Creature, Artillery or Vehicle.
Must not have the Independent Character special rule.
Must have the Character special rule.
Must be part of a squad.
May not be an HQ choice.

In other words, the model chosen should fulfil the role of a squad sergeant or other team leader.

The model chosen as your Plot Character should be visibly modelled, painted or marked as such for ease of recognition on the table top.

At the start of the campaign, the chosen model uses his normal stat-line and equipment.

If you can capture your Campaign Objective Marker* during a game, your Plot Character will advance one step along your Plot. Note that your Plot Character does NOT need to be the one to capture the Campaign Objective Marker, though if they do, that is great.

*Remember, you need to secure it for either one full turn OR secure it on the last turn of the game.

Plot
1st Step: Your Plot Character gets +1 Wound (max 4), +1 WS or BS (max 7), +1 Initiative (Max 7). Choose ANY one Warlord trait from the core rulebook. From now on, your Plot Character has this rule, but it only applies to himself and his squad. (Traits which effect enemy units may not be chosen)
2nd Step: Your Plot Character gets +1 Wound (max 4), +1 Ld (max 10), +1 WS or BS (max 7). Choose any one unique piece of wargear from your Codex worth up to 50 points, that has not already been equipped by a model in your army.
Each codex has a different name for it's unique wargear. E.g. Marines have Chapter Relics, Chaos Marines have Chaos Artefacts.
If your codex doesn't contain a unique wargear list, choose any one piece of wargear from your armoury worth up to 50 points.
The model must be eligible to use the chosen piece of wargear. (So no adding a Jump Pack to a guy on a bike for example).
3rd Step: Your Plot Character has achieved his destiny and has entered your army's history books. No doubt he/she/it will go on to lead your forces to victory across a score of worlds, laying waste to your foes and bringing glory to your name.

As your Plot Character advances through the steps of the Plot, it doesn't need to remain WYSIWYG, though if someone were to model the different stages of their character, that would be awesome. :D

------------------------------------------------

Closing thoughts.

I really hope that everyone approves of my concept for this year's game. Every year I want to make NagoyaHammer an event that people look forward to and are keen to attend. This year I want to try out something a little different and more unique compared to our regular games.

As always, the aim of the event is to have fun playing with friends regardless of winning or losing. Uber-lists designed to table your opponent as quickly as possible are probably best kept for tournaments. Please bring along an army that will be fun for you to play with and for your opponent to play against.

The decreasing size of armies throughout the day should make for some interesting games later on, but even at the worst, you will have half your army on the table at the start of each game. When it comes to working out which models you lose, try to balance your two piles out. Don't put all your best toys in one pile and then complain when they all get put back in your case. Players are of course free to cajole, bribe and encourage their opponents to pick a particular pile. Just remember that getting down on your knees and begging is demeaning and humiliating, so if your opponent does it, take some pictures. :twisted: Joking aside, we have a limited amount of time to play games in, so just go with the flow and move on ready for your next game.

The system outlined above relies on honesty between players. If your favourite models are removed from the campaign, I hope everyone will accept it and get on with what they have left. We're not bothering with any paperwork or record keeping as I feel that all of us are mature enough for it not to be a requirement.

Finally, on the subject of Campaign Objective Markers. Your opponent's marker has no benefit for you winning your game, at the same time, it is supposed to be the object of your opponent's Plot. Try to make sure that your opponent has a chance to capture it if they try to go for it, but don't make it too easy. Camping your entire army on it just to deny it to your opponent is rather unsporting. Likewise, no-one wants to hear a story of how Sergeant Jones strolled merrily over the battlefield to recover the lost relic without a single shot being fired his way, or even seeing an enemy on his trip. Play for your own objectives and try to make an interesting story out of it.

Thanks for reading.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: NH2015 - 40K Campaign - The Main Event

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:28 am

Well as it all but confirmed I will be extending my stay in Japan at least another 12 months, the Sororitas will be there to once again burn heretics, xenos and wytches! :twisted:
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:27 am

I have informed this event to my beginner club member.
I will join this event with 1500pt tyranid army.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 am

I will come with 1500 points of Bugs or Fishcows, or maybe both..

Sorry for not giving more details in the Poll post, but anyway this is what I was hoping for!

I would still enjoy a tournament too, of course, but I guess having one just to attract other city's people might not work out well, as people around here don't tend to bring super-competitive lists, so it would likely still have more of an "event feel" than people who are into tournaments might want. Also I agree with Job's Beer and Pretzel statement.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am

A lot can happen between now and then, but I should be able to attend. I'll bring a 40k army based on one of the second hand armies I've been mindlessly stock piling as a new painting project. As it stands, I have about 1000 for each of Tau, IG and Necrons, loads more in Orks. Whatever is not too well represented will probably be what I take.
I will also Demo Dredd on the free-play day. Quite excited about sorting out some urban terrain for that.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:00 pm

I'll be planning on this but of course family will take precedence. I'll either bring my CSM or DA. I'll try to bring se pretzels and my refreshments in brown grocery bags.

I may demo Tank Aces, a quick and easy form of FoW tank dueling.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:56 pm

In the famous words of Sergeant Al Powell: You couldn't drag me away! (Well you could as I'm not that big, but I wouldn't make it easy :D - bite your knee caps off)

I'll bring Tyranids or Marines I guess. No allying those two :D

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted their support for the event so far. Now it will be interesting to see how many of you stick around after reading the rules for the games. :D

Game 1 set up.
Players check that the terrain is set up to their liking. Then, one objective is placed dead centre in the table. Each player then places one more objective anywhere they like at least 12" from any other objective and at least 6" from any table edge.
Once the objective markers have been placed, players roll to see how they will deploy and who will deploy/go fist as usual from the rulebook. Once players have chosen their deployment areas and placed any fortifications, they must then place their Campaign Objective Marker touching their opponent's table edge.
Players then deploy and play as normal.
During the game, please take care to put all your casualties in a pile to one side of the table.
Victory is determined by holding the three regular objectives on the table and with the secondary objectives, First Blood, Slay The Warlord* and Linebreaker. The player with the most victory points wins.
At the end of the game, put any surviving models to one side. Any models summoned into play are removed and placed back in your army case.
*Tag Teams must nominate one of their Warlords to be worth a victory point at the start of the game.

The Campaign Objective Marker is worth zero victory points to both players, but is held and contested like a regular objective. Holding your enemy's Campaign Objective Marker gives you no bonuses or benefits, it simply denies it to your opponent.
If you can capture your own Campaign Objective Marker by the end of the game and hold it for at least one full turn OR be in possession of it at the end of the game, you will advance one step along your Plot. (See below).

Once you have finished your game, each player takes their casualty pile, including all wrecked vehicles and follows these steps.
1. If your Warlord is in the pile, place him back on the table with their surviving models. The Warlord regains half his wounds rounded up. (E.g. if your Warlord was a 3W marine captain and was killed, he returns to the table with 2W).
2. If your Plot Character is in the pile, place him back on the table at full wounds.
3. Separate your remaining casualties into two piles containing an EQUAL number of Models. (E.g. you can put a Grot in one pile and a Battlewagon in the other). If there is an odd number, add the remaining model to either pile.
4. Your opponent chooses one pile to return to the table. The other pile is permanently removed from the event.
5. The winning player may choose one of their own models from their discarded pile to return to the table.
6. All models that were still on the table when the game finished regain all lost hull points and wounds.
7. Any monstrous creatures/characters returned to the table from the casualty pile regain half their wounds (rounded up)
8. Any vehicles returned to the table from the casualty pile regain 2 hull points.

Once you have determined which models you have available, move on to your next game, following the same rules for set up, victory and dealing with casualties.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:56 am

Just a bump to this thread and a question.

What is the Plot Character's role? Sorry in advance if I missed an explanation in the text.

This is certainly an interesting a quite 'realistic' approach to a 40k event in that armies will actually take casualties throughout their journey to thwart their enemies and achieve their objectives. Creates an interesting balance of get the objective but at what cost!!! :!: :)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 am

kojibear wrote:Just a bump to this thread and a question.

What is the Plot Character's role? Sorry in advance if I missed an explanation in the text.

This is certainly an interesting a quite 'realistic' approach to a 40k event in that armies will actually take casualties throughout their journey to thwart their enemies and achieve their objectives. Creates an interesting balance of get the objective but at what cost!!! :!: :)
I haven't got to that bit yet. All will be revealed in good time.

Return to “NH2015”