Painting contest - Rants and raves thread

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Painting contest?

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Konrad wrote:Well, I propose we just limit it to one entry, choose the winner by secret ballot. That way you can vote for yourself! That should handicap MIJ.
No, seriously. Just one entry, secret ballot. Maybe a "best technique/awesomeness" category and a "personal favorite/awesomeness" category. I doubt anyone wants to get stuck being the judge and having to think hard about anything. I know I hate that.
And someone who can take pictures bring a camera! As awesome as that green elf is, we need a new pic on the homepage!
I know I don't have the clout I once did in this group but I would like to say that a single entry is secreat ballot give advantage to swoosh painters.

Multiple catagory secreat ballot on the other hand give makes it so there is a bit mor variety and chances to win.

I proposed

Best diorama
Best single small
Best single large
Best vehicle
Best army

Really simple secreat vote.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:14 am

When I found time to paint I found my wife always gave the best advice. For something different and fun why not invite a group of girls who know nothing of the hobby and miniatures to choose their favourite. In exchange you can give a free English class for one hour and have the satisfaction of knowing it was a genuine non Geek vote.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:33 am

ashmie wrote:When I found time to paint I found my wife always gave the best advice. For something different and fun why not invite a group of girls who know nothing of the hobby and miniatures to choose their favourite. In exchange you can give a free English class for one hour and have the satisfaction of knowing it was a genuine non Geek vote.
lol :lol:

Maybe your wife could be the head judge?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 am

A gaggle of random girls from the streets would be nice. :) Or random people, they don't have to be girls.
Sorry, all my students are male, I get bored easily.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 am

Arise...from the grave, oh recently deceased thread...

Any more progress on this guys?
Taking a quick look through the previous posts, it looks as though there is 'plenty' of interest in a painting comp but no-one has actually put their hand up to run it. If no one objects I'd like to offer my services. Can I get a second and/or a nod from the mighty Prim? I could do up some wee certificates or something in lieu of sponsored prizes.

I also agree that a simple secret vote is probably the best way to go.

As for categories, basically what the Madmiral said, but perhaps combining large and vehicle, and adding a category for the Best campaign 'Character' seeing as though they will be the focus of the 40K event. What say you savages?
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:58 am

Mike the Pike wrote:Arise...from the grave, oh recently deceased thread...

Any more progress on this guys?
Taking a quick look through the previous posts, it looks as though there is 'plenty' of interest in a painting comp but no-one has actually put their hand up to run it. If no one objects I'd like to offer my services. Can I get a second and/or a nod from the mighty Prim? I could do up some wee certificates or something in lieu of sponsored prizes.

I also agree that a simple secret vote is probably the best way to go.

As for categories, basically what the Madmiral said, but perhaps combining large and vehicle, and adding a category for the Best campaign 'Character' seeing as though they will be the focus of the 40K event. What say you savages?
If you want to run it, then run it you shall.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:20 am

I'll put in some entries to support it. Thanks for running it, mate.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:19 pm

If it means not having to compete against whatever glorious creation The Pike has created since last time, I say "Yea".
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Cheers, pikey :)

Plz note: I shall not be painting up anything special for this contest, as I have barely enough time to finish the required minis to gaming standard. Just so yez know :)

*edit* which is not to say I won't enter. Course I will, and in as many categories as possible. I loves me a painty competition :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:20 am

Sounds great Mike I guess I will be coming after all.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “NH2015”