NagoyaHammer 2015 - After Action Report

Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer 2015 - After Action Report

Post by Primarch » Sun May 10, 2015 10:48 pm

First of all, let me say a big Thank You to everyone for coming to the event and making it a big success. The main event had 20 people playing in the 40K campaign and we had a couple of extra people come along for the second day for some much more laid back gaming.

I hope that everyone enjoyed the campaign style for the 40K game, I did my best to match up armies and players to create somewhat even contests, but I realise that the nature of the system meant that some players had more of an advantage later in the day.

I'd like to thank everyone for bringing along terrain, mats and for the support in making sure we had some good tables to play on. For those of you who created new terrain for the event, you are awesome! Mike the Pike deserves a round of applause for organising the painting contest, and all the entrants deserve some congratulations for not lynching Pikey after his obvious rigging of the votes. :lol: Seriously though, I think this year had some of the best painting yet. For M_i_J not to have cleaned up in every category with his gorgeously painted Dark Eldar says a lot about the state of everyone else's painting. There was a much wider distribution of the votes this year (heck, someone even voted for me. A first!).

For those of you who brought games along to do demonstrations of, I hope that you were able to entice some new players towards your chosen systems. I did 4 games of my skirmish game, which seemed to work better than I had hoped, even though I lost every game that I played. I will be sharing the alpha-test rules online later if people want to keep trying it.

So, thank you again to everyone who came along.

But....I have to say, I was a little disappointed to find bags of people's trash left strewn over the tables as I was putting stuff away on the second day. I realise that people had trains to catch/wanted to bail before they had to help move tables etc, but there were two trash-cans in the room next to the doors and two places to throw away bottles/cans next to the vending machines just outside the room. It would have taken no effort to just drop your empty food packets and snack wrappers in the bin on the way out of the room. Instead I had to throw away about 2 dozen pet bottles and cans (some still half full with the tops open) and a large amount of convenience store wrapping. Please clean up after yourselves next time. :roll:

Anyway, Miguelsan has started a thread for posting photos and I will be adding the ones I took when I have some free time. If you want to post some pictures, please put them here: http://www.nagoyahammer.com/forum/viewt ... =91&t=2974

See you all at the next one.

Regards,
P.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Re: NagoyaHammer 2015 - After Action Report

Post by Konrad » Mon May 11, 2015 12:02 am

Great Nag-hammer Prim. I had a great time. The plot character added a lot of that old-skewl sort of narrative to the games. A big round of applause, hats off and all that.
To our various opponents be they Vostroyan, Krieg, Nuns, or Mah-reen!, the King would just like to say. " You've been a lovely audience. Thank you. Thank you very much."

@all the Necro-demo-munda folks. I think we have a campaign kicked off gentlemen! Thanks for patiently sticking with me as I sorted through the rules. It has been a while since I played and there are a lot of very small changes that are easy to miss.

@job- Already caught a mistake. Your gang rolls on the standard rare trade chart, not the Outlaw. That blade venom would have been Armor. Roll another d6 to find out what type. ooops.....
@Aux-6d6 in the Hoard! You are a real Loota!
@JR and Dekana- We should have called it Raging Heros-omunda. I am so kicking myself for not getting in on that K.S. And thanks for the fig JR! Everyone needs a kid-sidekick!
@Officer Charles-and here I was thinking Carapace Armor was useless. hilarious! And hey, could you shoot me a link to the Arbites list you were using?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 am

I only came on Sunday, but it was definitely a good day - thanks as always to Prim for organizing it, and for everyone for generally being really hoopy froods.

MiJ and Underdweller and the dude whose name I forget (oops!), thanks for trying out Dropzone - hope you liked it. Auxryn, thanks for your terrain tiles and for helping out! You're right that as we get the hang of things even the demo scenario, which we'd sort of thought was "solved", became quite a bit more interesting.

Thanks to MiJ as well for showing my Infinity. I've been intertested in it a whole for aesthetic reasons, and I'm intrigued by the system. It really does seem quite a bit more fluid and almost RPG-ish than I'm used to in my wargaming. Good stuff, and the minis are of course a big draw. I may have to pick up a started box just to paint at some point and see what happens.

Prim, it was a cool game! Personally, I think it would probably benefit most by moving away from its GW-inspired roots, although I suppose that mostly comes down to the artists. Good stuff!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:01 am

Many thanks to the honourable Prim for organising another excellent Nagoyahammer. And, my honest and humblest apologies - I'm fairly sure one of those bags of conbini trash was mine. :oops: Shitsurei shimashita :oops:

Of course, many thanks to those who squared off against the mean, green fightin' machine that was the unholy alliance between Spev's orks and my icky pansies (mine were mean, his were green). It was a pleasure to play against you all, from Kbear's marines and their Flyers of Vexation, to J-R's Monks (apologies for touching the Buddha. I shall no doubt spend an eternity in some nether hell for my transgressions). Oh, and Pikey's Eldar. Grumblegrumblecheese-mongeringpointy-earsstoopidOPcodexgrumblegrumbleetcetc... :P

Also many thanks to ToD who showed me the ropes with Dropzone Commander, a very fun game (and not that complex) and also reciprocated and was kind enough to have a whirl at Infinity. Also thanks to Justin for informing me of the soon-to-be-existence of the new Deus Ex game. I am officially excited...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Mon May 11, 2015 2:00 am

Had fun even do my army didn't do that well ;)

Second day necromunda game took longer than expected so i had no time for infinity.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon May 11, 2015 3:21 am

Thanks Prim for your organization and thanks to all my opponents (even if I will have recurring nightmares about drop-pods falling from the skies!). A very enjoyable weekend indeed!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon May 11, 2015 5:12 am

Thank you to all who attended and of course to Primarch for not giving up on a day forthe event after underdweller and I's first loss at the center's reservation lottery!

Truly a fun day with the spirit of forging ahead with a narrative in the air. My thanks to those players who braved the adventure of my cavern tunnels. I hope you all enjoyed the jungle board , too. It was fun to make and awesome to see it being used. I challenge you all to out do it next year.

My Raptors Marines dealt successfully with a tyranid investation, were humbled in a training exercise against their Raven Guard proginaters, and were cut to ribbons by a giant Dark Eldar sail barge/catamaran/ginsu knife . Though my Chaplain did not succeed, his jumping on to said barge and attempting to shove a melta bomb down an exhaust was verra coool. The company also saw the rise of a new company captain!

For Corax and the Emperor!

Cant wait to see you all at the next event. :D

Mike the Pike - thanks for the painting comp! :)

Primarch - I really enjoyed your fantasy skirmish game and look forward to playing it more and creating my own gang/band of adventurers. :)

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 am

It was a great time thanks.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 11, 2015 11:52 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:It was a great time thanks.
Where's the 'Like' button. :D

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. With all this goodwill, I'm sure we can continue holding NagoyaHammers for a long time to come.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon May 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Yep, had a great time.

Some kind of similar narrative style game next year would be cool.

NagHam is the biggest motivation for me to get my 40K stuff painted, and it is fun to get something new and different painted up each year.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “NH2015”