NagoyaHammer2016 - Review

For the discussion of rules, games, missions and trash talk for NagoyaHammer 2016
Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer2016 - Review

Post by Primarch » Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 pm

This morning I woke up with an aching back to find a hobby room full of bags and boxes dumped randomly across the room. That can only mean that NagoyaHammer has been and gone for another year.

Thanks to everyone who came along and helped make the event such a fun weekend. I had a blast talking to everyone, playing games and admiring all the marvelous armies on the tabletop.

THE GOOD
The games went really smoothly this year. I believe all the 40K games got up to turn 5, which is a good sign. There were no major rules problems aside from most of us forgetting them. As usual, there were some great armies on the tables, but Kojibear's Eldar Exodite army stood out as a true labour of love. On the second day, we got a wide variety of games in. Several games of Bolt Action were played across Siberian, European and Burmese terrain, a massive game of tiny Napoleonics filled one table. (Pikey got to use a division of troops, A DIVISION!!), brave heroes fought crazed cultists in the deserts of North Africa in Strange Aeons, showgirls fought zombies in the swamps of Malifaux, alien craft rained from the skies in Dropzone, a vicious game of Blood Bowl was played out with little children cheering on the carnage. All in all there were loads of great things going on. (....A DIVISION!!!)
The prizes provided by Spevna drew a lot of attention and should be gracing the walls of three of our players once they have recovered enough to think about decorating.

THE BAD
The 40K event ended with some controversy again as some cheese-mongering, WAAC, power-gamer stormed to victory yet again at his own event. (Seriously people, the objective markers aren't on the table just to look pretty). Honestly, I had not been planning to play, but with an odd number of players someone had to step up.
Aside from that, I don't think there were any problems with any of the games.

THE UGLY
Attendance this year was pretty low. Only ten players turned up on the first day. Surprisingly, the players who actually play 40K at gaming days except for NagoyaHammer were the ones absent. There were more players on the second day - 14 and a baby - but this year was by far the lowest turn out at NagoyaHammer. As it is, those numbers are pretty much the minimum needed to sustain the event in it's current format. For anyone absent this year, we really need you guys to keep things going.

IN SUMMARY
NagoyaHammer2016 was a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who came along. I would like to express my appreciation once again to everyone for providing loads of terrain, especially Kojibear and Yellowstreak who filled up 5 of the tables. Thanks again to Spevna for providing the prizes. And to those of you who couldn't make it due to family or work commitments, I hope to see you all next year.

I will try and book NagoyaHammer2017, as I don't want to see it fade away. No doubt there will be another discussion on which games get centre stage, but that is a topic for another thread.

Thanks for reading.

(...A FULL DIVISION!!)
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: NagoyaHammer2016 - Review

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 am

First and foremost, I want to thank Primarch for organising this event, as he does every year. From booking the venue to turning up on the day and supplying scenery and scenarios, it's clear that Naghammer is a lot of work, not to mention the financial outlay. So, deepest gratitude to you, Prim - we all appreciate it.

Those of us there on the Saturday were talking about the State of the Game, vis a vis 40k, and it's definitely going to take a fair bit of debate to work things out. So far, while we all agree that something needs be done to improve the appeal of the game, we all also agree that Saturday was a lot of fun. We all had a good time, we all enjoyed playing 40k. Anyway, it's a debate for another thread. For now, I'd like to thank Prim and all my opponents for another great NagoyaHammer. Looking forward to next year's already :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Mon May 09, 2016 1:04 am

I had a fun day on the second day, even do i got butchered by the French and the Germans ;) I need to get them howitzers!

I can understand if next year it will be held at a smaller venue, or change the games on the days.

Thanks Primarch for organizing and answering all the bolt action questions!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 am

Thanks to all attendees for coming and enjoying a day or two days of geekery :geek: and gaming 8-) . Thanks also to Prim for taking the time to book the room and for the planning and management of the 40k event. Echoing what others have said, we all appreciate your efforts greatly, and I was happy to help out where I could.

Thanks to my driving buddy, Justin. It was my pleasure to drive the chariot and deliver your fantastic terrain.

To all my fine opponents, I respect your valiant victory or losses. Thanks for all the fun!

It was great to see friends who I haven't been able to see all year. I look forward to the next event and hope to see more and more people taking part in the fun, as we continue to keep the hobby rearing and kicking! :)

Spev - your artwork was such an awesome surprise and many bows and hat tippings to you my good man! :D

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon May 09, 2016 3:46 am

Echoing all of the above:
• thanks to Prim, without his hard work there wouldn't be an event.
• thanks to Koji for bringing terrain, giving me a lift, and packing up so much stuff on Sunday.
• thanks to Spevna for generously donating the great artwork for prizes!
• thanks to all my opponents over the two days (yes jehan, you need some artillery!)
• thanks to everyone who turned up and made it the event it was.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon May 09, 2016 9:03 am

Glad to see the pictures were appreciated.

Who got them in the end?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

Spevna wrote:Glad to see the pictures were appreciated.

Who got them in the end?
I graciously accepted the awesome Marine picture. :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 09, 2016 10:12 am

Thanks to Bill passing on his 2nd prize due to space issues in his bag, Konrad and I were the proud recipients of the other two pics. The ork shall be gracing my hobby room wall in due course, where he can glower at all the pointy ears on display :D Many thanks to you, Spev, for the luverly artwork :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon May 09, 2016 10:15 am

Good stuff :)
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon May 09, 2016 12:03 pm