Dropzone Commander

This forum is for the discussion of Dropzone Commander and other Hawk Wargames systems.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Dropzone Commander

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:44 am

job wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:Speaking of which, job, did you want to shoot for a game of DZC at Joshin in November?
I have a 3000 point game of Warhammer lined up with KJ_1066, but I am going to finish my Dropzone Commander army this month. I should be able to play around 1k. Maybe we can play in the afternoon next month or at Zengo in December.
I've got work on the Joshin day in December. Let's pencil in the afternoon at November's meeting! I'll get my stuff all painted up and pretty.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 am

I'll do my best to do the same.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Well, I've been looking up ways to magnetize the UCM, and there seems to be a few easy ways to use rectangular magnets just glued on the hull.

So, anyway, about the game. Are we playing a skirmish level game? I guess unless we can manage to hit 1k on the nose, the game would essentially be played at the skirmish game level.

Here is my list as is:

Lieutenant Apone
Kodiak ACV
+ Condor Dropship (missile upgrade)

Rapier AA x3

Rapier AA x3

Sabre MBT x6
+ Condor Dropship x2 (missile upgrade)

UCM Legionnaire x6
+ Bear ATV x 2
+ Condor Dropship x2 (missile upgrade)

What do you think? Checks out? It should come out 990 with 5 battle groups.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Yeah, Skirmish is was I was figuring - lets both our armies get 5 battlegroups without having to get Heavies.

I don't know if you saw it, but there's a nice Java-based army building program some fans have made, here: http://www.dzc-ffor.com/

Speaking of which, I don't think that army list checks out. You'll need 5 battlegroups, but your mix of HQ, armor, infantry, and special is restricted - you can have only up to 1 each of armor and special battlegroups, so you'd have to get something like:

HQ [0-1] (Purple) - Kodiak + LT + Condor

Armor [1] (Orange) - 6 Sabres, 2 Condors

Infantry [1-2] (Green) - 6 Legionnaires + 2 Bears, 1 Condor

Infantry [1-2] (Green) - 6 Legionnaires + 2 Bears, 1 Condor

Special [0-1] (Yellow) - 3 Rapiers + 1 Condor

...Which comes to 1087 by my calculations, without the rocket pods. If you make the second Infantry group just 3 Legionnaires in a Bear without a dropship (which is hella slow, but what are you going to do) that gives you enough points for rockets for 3 of the Condors. Or - and this is what I'd probably do - drop the LT to a squad leader, order a blister of Raven-A's from Ring-Tail and have the second Infantry battlegroup be 2 squads of 2 Legionnaires each in Ravens - that'd be 1003 points, which I at least would be willing to overlook. :) It'd look like:

HQ - Kodiak + Squad Leader + Condor

Armor - 6 Sabres + 2 Condors (either 1 squad of 6 or two of three)

Infantry - 6 Legionnaires + 2 Bears, 1 Condor (2 squads of 3, sharing a dropship)

Infantry - 4 Legionnaires + 2 Raven-A's (2 squads of 2)

Special - 3 Rapiers + 1 Condor
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:54 pm

I'll be ordering stuff from ringtail in the near future: cards, some fighters and some wolverines, but I don't think there's anything kept in stock so I don't think my order would arrive in time.

So looking at what you said, reviewing the battle formation rules and the list, I think I can re-rig it with what I have.

(I realized my mistake with calculating infantry.)

Lieutenant Apone
(HQ)
Kodiak ACV
+ Condor Dropship

(Special)
Rapier AA x3
+ Condor Dropship

(Armor)
Sabre MBT x6
+ Condor Dropship x2

(Infantry)
UCM Legionnaire x6
+ Bear ATV x 2
+ Condor Dropship

(Infantry)
UCM Legionnaire x3
+ Bear ATV x 1
+ Condor Dropship

It should be 993. It is a little heavy on infantry. :) but I'll give it a shot.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 pm

Almost! You can't have a non-full transport, so one Bear in a Condor is not kosher.

That said, I just realized it's trivially easy for me to bump my own list up to 1060 points (your list with full infantry units and a Squad Leader commander) by promoting my commander, heh. So we could just go with 1060 points or whatever and revise back down if you get Falcons on time or something. :D
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 am

The Other Dave wrote:Almost! You can't have a non-full transport, so one Bear in a Condor is not kosher.

That said, I just realized it's trivially easy for me to bump my own list up to 1060 points (your list with full infantry units and a Squad Leader commander) by promoting my commander, heh. So we could just go with 1060 points or whatever and revise back down if you get Falcons on time or something. :D
Hmmm, I have to say that the point system in DzC seems a bit cumbersome at times. There's very little filler. I guess the fliers are nice because you don't need to pay the cost of transports.

Another try:

(cancel work in progress)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:39 am

Yeah, you sort of have to buy things in pretty big chunks - I've found it's pretty common to be 10 or 20 points short at 1000 or 1500 with just no way to spend it. Which, you know, it's not like points calculations are an exact science in any system. Like, the UCM's Bear transport is 16 points and the Scourge's Invader is 17. Is an Invader exactly 6.25% more effective than a Bear? Prob'ly not.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:45 am

(Maybe we can migrate to the introduction thread at some point, but still.)

Just did a bit of fiddling. If you don't mind only 4 activations, which shouldn't really be that much of a problem, you could go with:

HQ: Kodiak + Squad Leader + Condor

Armor: Squad 1: 6 Sabres + 2 Condors, Squad 2: 3 Rapiers + Condor

Infantry: Squad 1: 3 Legionnaires + Bear, Squad 2: 3 Legionnaires + Bear, sharing a Condor

Special: 3 Rapiers + Condor

That's 1009 points, which again I'd be quite willing to fudge. The Armor battlegroup is 450 points, still less than the 50% allowed for a single battlegroup at the Skirmish level.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:35 am

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, you sort of have to buy things in pretty big chunks - I've found it's pretty common to be 10 or 20 points short at 1000 or 1500 with just no way to spend it. Which, you know, it's not like points calculations are an exact science in any system. Like, the UCM's Bear transport is 16 points and the Scourge's Invader is 17. Is an Invader exactly 6.25% more effective than a Bear? Prob'ly not.
Oh certainly. I completely agree, and I have no problem playing 30, or 50 points off. But I am having trouble spending 100 points or more. It seems a Starfighter or gunship would fit the bill in these situations.

Also 4 formations is fine, but I'll keep puttering about with the lists. Actually I came up with pretty much the same list you did. Just no way to just cut 10 points to bring under 1k.

Ps: the HQ can also take a support slot.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Dropzone”