A Dropzone Thread

This forum is for the discussion of Dropzone Commander and other Hawk Wargames systems.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: A Dropzone Thread

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Hmm. Some preview shots of some models for Hawk Wargames' forthcoming space battles game inthis gallery.

That guy can sure design him some vehicles!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:33 pm

That huge ship is about six feet long in 10mm scale. The model for the game (which they were selling today) is two inches long. :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 pm

Oooh purdy.

And poo and darn to all those who can actually go to Salute. I reserve the right to sit in here and be jealous of y'all :evil:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:31 am

AndrewGPaul wrote:That huge ship is about six feet long in 10mm scale. The model for the game (which they were selling today) is two inches long. :)
And the ship they did the 10mm mockup of is one of the smaller ones in the case, right? Go big or go home, the only philosophy that counts for space battles games. :D
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:40 am

Auxryn and I had a good, close-fought game today at Joshin - I was pretty sure I'd lost it by turn two, but managed to keep the pressure up and pull out a very close 9-6 loss by victory points at game end, on a board almost completely denuded of models. It came down, as these things tend to do, to a couple tight dice rolls and the survival or destruction of a couple units prepared to grab or contest focal points.

It really does feel like we're starting to get the hang of the game, and the 1500-point level allows you to absorb some losses and keep fighting. If I may say, I think the units of the game were the Tormentor flame tanks on my side, which did their thing and acid-sprayed a good chunk of the Shaltari infantry into oblivion, and the Firedrake thing on the Shaltari side, which pretty much evaporated every Scourge unit it so much as glanced at. (Balanced out, of course, by the complete annihilation of all my infantry by a combination of collapsing buildings and Shaltari CQB awesomeness.) I feel like I finally got their points worth out of the Hunter grav-tanks as well, which did a good deal of damage.

Hopefully I can get a couple demo games running at NagHams this year - I'm more impressed with the game the more I play it!
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Carl Woodrow has some pictures from Salute as well:

https://dropshipstudio.wordpress.com/20 ... -part-one/

Good stuff.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat May 02, 2015 1:08 am

The newest newsletter has some teaser info about Dropfleet - seems like an interesting take on the space battles genre! Apparently battles are fought in low orbit instead of the usual deep space, with the (4' x 4') table representing an area of the planet surface about the size of, say, France, with cities, ground troops, defenses and such, and tactical objectives centered around delivering assets to the ground / preventing the enemy from doing the same. Plus it's an Andy Chambers joint from the ground up, which bodes well for rules.

Some very nice pictures of the UCM fleet (which are embedded in the newsletter PDF or I'd post them), which seems to have stolen my PHR color scheme. *shakes fist*
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat May 02, 2015 1:27 am

I love the ship designs. I'd love to get into a naval game at sometime. Sorry about the stolen color scheme, but think of it as a compliment to its superlativeness.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat May 02, 2015 3:29 am

Holy heck! Those are some nice minis! I was just kinda idly looking through the thread, but seeing those has made me go "hmmmmmmn" in a serious way. If the rules pan out, I could get into this...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat May 02, 2015 7:41 am

me_in_japan wrote:Holy heck! Those are some nice minis! I was just kinda idly looking through the thread, but seeing those has made me go "hmmmmmmn" in a serious way. If the rules pan out, I could get into this...
Hawk Dave is really good at designing anything that isn't infantry!

I read some comments from Andy saying specifically that it wasn't going to be a reskinned age of sail game like some space battle games (BFG, I love you, but I'm looking right at you) seem to be. The hints in the newsletter about how ranges and such work - with weapon range apparently mostly dependent on the target's energy signature (how many weapons it fired, how much it moved, and so on) - support the idea I think. I'm interested to see what they do about movement.

I mean, I'm not at all sure I'll get into it, since I have enough on my plate already, but it looks like it has the potential to be an exciting addition to the space battles genre, both model- and rules-wise.

(Also, everyone reading this thread, remember I'll be demoing Dropzone at day 2 of NagHams this year! Whee!)
-----

Return to “Dropzone”