Infinity - a proper thread

This forum is for the discussion of Infinity.
Colonel Voss

Re: Infinity - a proper thread

Post by Colonel Voss » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am

As Prim said, three games. Learned a lot about the game. I knew the dynamics would be very different from what I'm use to, but playing it really upped the hype. Already figured out my first 300 list. Just need the money to make it happen. That and reassurances that I won't be looking for another job here soon. I hate renewa contract season
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 pm

I just received some more Yu Jing minis, including a second starter box and a Sectorial starter. This gives me, among other things, 10 Zhanshi, the basic line infantry of the Yu Jing faction.

Why would I want 10 basic infantry I hear nobody ask. Well, I'll tell you anyway.

I think the Infinity system is very cool, the rules have a dynamic feel to them and play very smoothly (so far). I did find that the missions suggested in the rulebook felt very sterile though. Short turn limits, both players fighting over the usual set of central objectives etc. I think that with the scale of the game, Infinity would lend itself very well to narrative scenarios with differening objectives for the players.
E.g. One player has to break into a fortified lab and steal some secret documents.
A convoy gets ambushed and a high value target needs to be rescued/assassinated.
A penal colony is raided to free a diplomatic prisoner.
Etc.
To that end, I want to have some basic grunts who can be on guard duty when my opponent's special forces team comes calling. Of course, I will have some of my own operatives ready to bail out the hapless mooks and save the day. Well, that's the plan anyway.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:00 pm

A man after my own heart. :)

See if you can get a copy of Campaign: Paradiso. It should be fairly cheap, as it's effectively out of date. It's got a full campaign, with some more complex scenarios.

There's a few full-page pieces in the Art book that could be inspirational. For example:
http://chesterocampo.deviantart.com/art ... 33972&qo=2

http://chesterocampo.deviantart.com/art ... 8390&qo=10

One idea I had was a bank job, like in Heat. Nomads, mercenaries or Japanese Sectoral terrorists as the robbers, with Yu Jing Imperial Service (plenty of Celestial Guards and Pheasant agents, with Bao Troops, Crane agents and even Hsien if need be as backup) or other appropriate troops (Nomad Alguacils, etc) as the defenders. You could even make it a train robbery (and have some airborne deployment roops drop onto the train, if you want a Firefly reference).

Or have Haqqislam hassassins or Shasvastii infiltrators (or ALEPH agents) attempt to assassinate or kidnap a VIP.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Those are some good ideas, thanks!
I'll have a look for that campaign book as well.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Don't worry Prim, I got a nice back story for our up coming battles. Finding a job comes first then we can work out the story lines
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Return to “Infinity”