Infinity - a proper thread

This forum is for the discussion of Infinity.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Infinity - a proper thread

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:03 pm

'allo :)

I have not, as one might reasonably assume, forgotten all about Infinity. Nae nae, not at all. In fact, I am eagerly awaiting receipt of my shiny new N3 rulebook at some point in the next few days. However, I am bumping this thread to point out that Corvus Belli, in their quite respectable generosity, have made the rulebook available for free to download off their website. Just like that. Here's the rules, folks. No, you don't have to pay 60 quid for em. Take em - they're yours.

Why can't all companies be respectful of their customers like this? I mean, I approve of their posting the rules for free, and yet I buy their rulebook, too. Why? Because I like shiny rulebooks, is why. I also want to support them as a company. Others, take note...

http://www.infinitythegame.com/index.php
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:03 pm

So, we play tested our first 2 games of Dave's Infinity boxset today and I've got to say I was hooked by the dice system. D20, Very unique and smooth, with the minis and scenery just adding to what looks like a very pretty and shiny sci-fi system. It's deadly and quick as well. I think we averaged about 10 -15 minutes per game.
This and a Dredd faction are on my must buy mini list as soon as a I can secure some pocket money in 2015.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Many thanks to Ashmie (and Satoru) for a very enjoyable day of gaming. As ash says, infinity plays really quite smoothly, although it's defo worth mentioning that we were just playing the first two missions in op:icestorm, and so it was a very stripped down version of the rules. Happily, though, my N3 rulebook arrived today, so with luck ash and I can get in some proppa games in the near future. Still, so far as first impressions go, 'twas a good un. :)

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:00 am

I failed a WP roll and bought Operation Icestorm as well as the 3rd edition rules. Why? I play Yu Jing, for goodness' sake!

Apart from CB's decision to make the 3rd edition rulebook only an update of the 2nd edition core rulebook, not the ruleset as a whole (thus making three-quarters of the unit stats less-than-intuitive to find), I like the look of 3rd ed. I should be getting my first proper game (other than missions 1 and 3 of O:I) next week.

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:06 am

Resurrecting this old thread. MiJ has gone dark on this game although I asked if he still played, no reply :cry:

I just got USAdriana so I'd like to find some players to learn the game and have some fun. If no one is willing to take the lead, I'll get another faction and start hocking it onto the lot of ya
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:02 pm

apologies for the lack of response - I've been busy with home stuff lately, but more than that I'm just a dippy bugger who can't be relied upon for a prompt response. *kowtows in abject apology*. I shall send a PM forthwith...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:43 am

no worries. I figured you needed to be smoked out when you didn't reply :D ;)
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Last weekend I was able to get in a game of Infinity and sit through a second as Auxryn and Kojibear played.

First impressions are that this is not a game for easygoing, fudge-the-rules types. It's a lot of fun, but if you're not on the ball, you're going to get your behind handed to you in short order. The game actively rewards intelligent play and planning. (So I have no chance then :D) The rules look like they could be a bit fussy at times, especially in regards to declaring what you are doing and how you resolve it. It's complex, or rather, it is precise. Whereas games like Malifaux and Warmahordes have a lot of rules for individual models, Infinity seems to have a lot of rules for how all the models operate and how they interact.

Overall, it seemed like a fun way to spend an hour or two of gaming, nice models, tightly written rules and a nice flow to the game.

And just because, here are some Yu Jing.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:21 am

Today I played another 3 games of Infinity. One at 75 points, one at 100 and one at 150 points, all against Ariadna forces commanded by Col. Voss. There were a couple of mistakes made, which we talked over at the end of the games, but on the whole it was fun. Playing on 40K terrain was challenging as there are very few intact walls to hide behind and a lot of the time lots of models could easily draw LOS to each other. One game ended very quickly as every model which broke cover was taken down in a hail of fire. We did find that objectives give the game a lot more depth as you have to move to take them, rather than just sitting behind the most solid looking wall and trading shots. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to getting in a lot more games of this. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Good to see that folks are playing this game. Provides good motivation to get a few figs painted up. Keep up the good work, folks :)

Return to “Infinity”