Infinity Terrain

This forum is for the discussion of Infinity.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Infinity Terrain

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 pm

With my recent foray into the world of Infinity, I have been looking at terrain for the game. 40K terrain doesn't really cut it, too many skulls and not enough line of sight blocking cover. So, I started looking around the web at what others had done. Aside from the 'Gantries to Nowhere,' problem that seems endemic to pick up games, one thing that struck me as odd was the sheer number of tables that are either sleepy, residential suburbs or just shipping container storage depots (being run by incredibly disorganized and haphazard managers it would seem). I haven't read much of the fluff for the game, but I was kind of under the impression that the idea was covert ops and industrial espionage.

Mission 1. The Deli:
Bob's Deli makes the best pastrami sandwiches in the city. You must ensure that his secret recipe doesn't fall into the hands of a rival faction. Deploy a squad of your most experienced and irreplaceable operatives and their multi-million dollar equipment to defend the deli.

It might make for a fun game, but I'm not really buying that as being the focus of the majority of games. Instead, I'd like to ask for suggestions and ideas on what would make for a good covert operations scenario and location.

So far I have a couple of ideas.

Prison Break - Busting a high value target out of a rival's facility.
Raid - Breaking into a research lab and hacking their network/stealing their data.
Assault - Attacking an enemy compound or base.
Kidnap - Ambushing a convoy and grabbing a VIP for interrogation. (This could work on an urban board).

Any more ideas?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Infinity Terrain

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

industrial sabotage - factory, shipping crates, gantries(!)

Kidnapping - residential/commercial *edit* never mind. Didn't read your post properly :oops:

Assassination - as above

Personally, I'm using a mix of residential and industrial, with a fence to separate them. My final goal is for a low-wage industrial suburb, at te junction of the residential/work area, maybe with a bar for the line workers to get a drink. Everything will be a bit grimy and graffitied. Might go for an abandoned factory area instead, and have some vegetation overgrowing it. That'd add to the down-on-it's-luck town vibe, and game-wise would be good for covert lab (in abandoned building) or dodgy deal going down kinda place (in the local bar, for example)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 pm

@M_i_J - I work in a residential/industrial area 5 days a week, complete with single room apartments, cheap eating places and run-down buildings (Though the development areas of the factory are much more up to date and cleaner). Heck, my home town area is largely like that, though without the up to date and clean bits. So as you can imagine, that type of layout doesn't get my imagination all fired up. :D
Currently, there are four of us interested in Infinity locally plus J-R has some minis I believe. If you are building the Corvus Belli standard table, then I figure that I should do something with a different feel and style to it. That way, we have some variety of games/scenarios/tactics available.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:29 pm

Several companies make monorail trains (originally for the scenario on the Campaign: Paradiso book). Make a Shinkansen station and have one or two rail lines.trains can be static or moving hazards.

Alternatively, there's a few suppliers of bigger, "town centre" buildings. That gives you scope for a bank raid, an assassination or abduction mission against local dignitaries, prison break, attackmg a technology research facility or medical facility.
If you go down the line of fighting in a container farm, TT Combat make a nice cargo crane and small freight ship.

Or you could do a wilderness board, with perhaps a military base, research facility or lost ruins; desert for Bourak, Arctic for Svalarheima/Huangdi, jungles for Paradiso or temperate forests for Ariadna. That gives you an option to actually use those models with the Multiterrain skill.

Or a board which represents the interior of one of the big Circular vessels, a Nomad ship or any other space installation. Those ships are huge, so that board could be as open or cramped as you want.

Return to “Infinity”