Infinity: Why not?

This forum is for the discussion of Infinity.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Infinity: Why not?

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 pm

I've been thinking a bit about skirmish games lately (especially how a small number of varied miniatures - like in ASC, which I've managed to do a good bit of painting for, or Malifaux, or, say, Infinity - is pretty much my sweet spot for actually sticking with painting 28mm) and thought Infinity might be a little project for later in the year after I start getting my Malifaux crew painted. And Infinity has a cool aesthetic that I've always kind of dug, and what with Ghost in the Shell coming out later this year and all, I thought it might be an interesting time to give it a shot.

So who plays / is interested in playing locally? If I picked up a starter box, would I be able to find some games?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Infinity: Why not?

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:46 am

Hai! I play. Well, have played a couple of games, anyway. I'd be well up for more, given the chance. I have PanO, btw. Just the operation ice storm box plus a couple other promo minis, but if there was a likelihood of more games id be more inclined to buy more stuff. And paint em, too.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:16 am

I have a large pile of Yu Jing minis, probably way more than I will ever need if you can believe that of me. :lol:
Kojibear plays, as does Colonel Voss (if he ever attends games again). They have Nomads and US Adriana if that has any impact on which force you are thinking of getting. I think J-R plays as well, though I don't know which army he uses.

Infinity is probably the most complex game I have played (and I have played Battletech and Starfleet Battles), so it's not a beer and pretzels game at all. I like it a lot, but it is a lot to take in. The intro games in the starter box are very helpful. Every model can do one of a gajillion actions in it's turn and/or react to enemy actions in their turn, so you need to remember a lot of info about what your options are. It is very engaging though.

One thing I do find lacking in the game is that the scenarios in the rulebook really do come across as being tournament/competition driven. I think it would make a good system for some story-driven scenarios (hostage rescue, kidnapping, surgical strike, etc) if I could actually get enough games in to get a handle on the rules. In the standard missions, for a Special Forces game, it doesn't feel 'special'.

It is also very terrain intensive. If you do start, I'd suggest picking up some terrain to use with it. They make some cheap cardstock stuff which should do for Joshin-style gaming.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 am

Yeah, I did notice looking through the rulebook that even a 6-model starter pack will have a list of special rules an arm long. At the moment I'm liking the Tohaa aesthetic, with Haqqislam a close second.

Hmm! OK, I'll go ahead and get a starter set at some point - probably in a couple months, along with whatever I might decide to get to expand on my Malifaux crew.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Primarch wrote: Kojibear plays, They have Nomads
I do indeed. I play Corregidor :)

Prim gave a great run down on some of the game's ins and outs. I second the point about terrain, and am planning on getting some of the cardstock terrain - very reasonable price, but probably need two of any set to actually come near to having enough terrain I think.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed May 31, 2017 1:59 am

Hi everyone,

MIJ already mentioned it but I thought it worth mentioning again in the Infinity section.

If you are interested in a futuristic skirmish game with humans, replicants and aliens in which players are always interacting through a system of active and reactive game phases, now is a good time to pick up a small number of minis to start out.

The company has some 50% off deals but only until June 2nd.

Here is a link to the game info and factions: http://infinitythegame.com/game.php

Here is a link to the special deals: https://store.corvusbelli.com/offer

Here is a youtube video showing the game in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTo1QdBZgAA

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed May 31, 2017 11:25 am

For what it's worth, th shipping on this is about 20euros. Steep, I know, but still a good bargain when you compare individual cost, even on discount sites.

Also, for those unfamiliar with Infinity, this deal will net you plenty enough for a playable force, with options. Rules are available free online, btw.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Hey all!

Just over a year now since the Other dave began this thread, and Me in Japan, Primarch and I were talking again about the possibility of trying to get into the game again. To that end, I thought I'd just give this thread a bump.

The models are definitely getting better I think and they are in the 3rd edition now I believe. Its nice how the rules are all downloadable for free still https://infinitythegame.com/resources/downloads and they have their free army builder https://infinitythegame.com/resources/t ... finityarmy.

And the latest faction to be released - or in this case, re-released, are the Japanese Sectorial Army: https://store.corvusbelli.com/products/ ... -army-pack

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:36 pm

kojibear wrote:Hey all!

Just over a year now since the Other dave began this thread, and Me in Japan, Primarch and I were talking again about the possibility of trying to get into the game again. To that end, I thought I'd just give this thread a bump.
In fairness, the possibility of me giving this, or any game a fair go is largely a matter of how much gaming time I have (almost none) compared to how many games I'd like to play (lots).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 am

I still have my toe dipped in the water of Infinity. I wouldn't be against giving it another whirl, and it's actually fairly high up my to-do list. If skirmish games were the thing, I'd probably be wanting to play Infinity. Or maybe Malifaux... :?

Return to “Infinity”