Loads of new stuff from GW. AoS2, Sisters in Plastic & more

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Loads of new stuff from GW. AoS2, Sisters in Plastic & m

Post by The Other Dave » Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Last edited by The Other Dave on Sun May 13, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeah, that's quite a large model. It looks like there is an old Warlord just off to the side that barely reaches the knees of that new one.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Primarch wrote:Yeah, that's quite a large model. It looks like there is an old Warlord just off to the side that barely reaches the knees of that new one.
Ah, yes, that was the point of the pic, heh. I’ll crop and repost so people with normal-size monitors can see.

Edit: Mind, the original beetleback is a pretty small model, but still.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 pm

So the Warlord is roughly Imperial Knight sized. We can guess that it's price will also be similar go the Imperial Knight. So 10,000 yen+ and extra if you want the upgrades from FW (seriously, they could have done one extra sprue with one of each gun at the very least). I think this may be one of those cases where everyone who wants to play will simply buy multiple starter sets and ignore the individual boxes of Warlords.
As nice as the models look, I think this may be the wrong scale for the game. With just a couple of Titans per side and some Titan sized terrain, the table is going to get crowded quickly, plus transporting multiple huge models is not so easy. For me though, I don't think I'll be able to justify the price tag for those figures to myself. Maybe one to look for on ebay a year or so after release. :cry:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 am

I think it's more Redemptor / Leviathan size, but yeah, huge and certainly very pricey, especially since the weapon upgrades from FW will surely be pretty dear as well. The core set is going to be their most expensive to date (with 2 warlords, 6 knights and a mess of terrain) and will probably be pushing the limits of what they can get away with cost-wise, while at the same time (as basically just a 1-on-1 mirror Warlord duel) being potentially pretty thin as a game, which worries me a bit. For all that the scale is my Thing, and I'm drooling over the models, the storage issues alone have me on the fence, nevermind the simple fact that it's a wad of cash that I could put into a game I'll actually be able to play a lot.

OTOH, I could see myself just getting a single Warlord to paint up and have, even if I don't get the core set. Frankly, it's probably just too damn big to use with Epic: Armageddon, so I'd either use it to play AT2018 or just have it sitting on the shelf.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 am

The Other Dave wrote:... while at the same time (as basically just a 1-on-1 mirror Warlord duel) being potentially pretty thin as a game, which worries me a bit.
Well, the original AT and Space Marine games were essentially mirror matches. :lol:
I think a lot depends on how many options there are in the game to differentiate the titans. Weapon load-outs, crew, tactical options etc. The control panels GW have introduced for regulating power, shields and movement could make for an interesting game. Unfortunately, I haven't been all that inspired by what I have seen of GW's other recent offerings as my taste in rules differs from the GW writers'. I-go-U-go would be the final nail in the coffin for me, so I really hope that they don't go that route.

With regards to the other models unveiled last weekend, I'm liking the look of the new spooky skeletons for AoS. Not enough to actually play AoS, but enough to be considering if I can find a way of using those figures. Ghost-like undead seem pretty awesome and a change from shambling ranks of zombies.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 am

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:... while at the same time (as basically just a 1-on-1 mirror Warlord duel) being potentially pretty thin as a game, which worries me a bit.
Well, the original AT and Space Marine games were essentially mirror matches. :lol:
Yeah, but you got 3 per side at least, with lots of weapon options - that allows things like tactics and flanking and such-like that just having a single identically-armed titan on each side just won't.
Primarch wrote:With regards to the other models unveiled last weekend, I'm liking the look of the new spooky skeletons for AoS. Not enough to actually play AoS, but enough to be considering if I can find a way of using those figures. Ghost-like undead seem pretty awesome and a change from shambling ranks of zombies.
Yeah, the wraith line looks pretty sweet - really there haven't been any misses with AoS in quite a while. Like you, it's not enough to really make me consider playing the game or anything, but it sure does look nice.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 14, 2018 2:59 pm

+1 for them wraiths. I like em a lot, especially that chap on a horse.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm

really there haven't been any misses with AoS in quite a while. Like you, it's not enough to really make me consider playing the game or anything, but it sure does look nice.
Can I just say, sharks.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Games Workshop”