GW Open Day News, holy crow!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

GW Open Day News, holy crow!

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 am

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/

Lots of cool new stuff announced at the open day today! The thread on the community site's up there, but highlights (filtered for "how cool do I think they are"):

The first expansion for Blackstone Fortress, including an Ambull. Why is an Ambull, a burrowing monster, on a Blackstone Fortress? Why not!

Also there are plastic Ambots for Necromunda, which look pretty dang cool but I don't play that game so. (Fitting them into my AdMech force might be interesting, though!)

Then the Genestealer Cults codex is announced for spring, along with 4 new character models.

As I said on Twitter, I don't need a new army, but boy do I need a Magus for my GSC kill team.

Speaking of Kill Team, they're releasing a new expansion (Arena) that promises balanced competitive play, about which I am extremely lukewarm, and rules for tunnel fighting, which is pretty awesome. And two new pre-packaged kill teams, including entirely new characters - with rules being released for 40K as well - for AdMech (who need a new HQ choice badly) and GSC (who I don't know if they do but the model is cool).

Cyborg Harkonnen with a Railgun? Yes, please.

And this gunfighter dude has been teased before, but still. Cool!

Also a new desert shanty town themed killzone set, which actually matches my own abandoned hab pod terrain so I may pick it up for the board and ruins.

For AoS there's a new battle box thing, with ghouls versus skaven if those are your bag. And more Lord of the Rings stuff, and goblin sneaky gits for blood bowl, plus a second troll model and a really gross nurgle thing.

(As a tidbit for the anti-GW crowd, they also announced an upcoming price increase on paints and start collecting boxes - the latter were a stupidly good deal that's being downgraded to merely a pretty good one, and I don't buy their paints anyway, but still.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: GW Open Day News, holy crow!

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 am

The Ambull is fantastic, I love the little bugs crawling under it's armoured skin. The female magus is nicely done, as is the gunslinger. The fat-mech dude looks suitably teched up, but I can't tell if he is telling someone to be quiet or picking his nose? :lol: That arm might need repositioning.
The GSC models have all been brilliant so far, I'm surprised I haven't seen them at any gaming days around Nagoya.

I'm going to make a point of missing the last paragraph, probably nothing important in there anyway. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:18 am

Here's a better angle on Fats Railgun, with a (much better) alternate head - you can see he's steepling his fingers, which is just such a characterful touch. You can just imagine him poking at his little viewscreen like a dad with an iPad.

-----

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:14 am

Is it the fact that I'm craving most of those GSC models surprising for you, Prim? Tho I'm miffed that GSC get the cool looking bikes, and Goliaths, while IG is stuck with the 1895 designed Roughriders that you cannot even buy nowadays. Bikes for IG or riot! :lol:

On the other hand I fail to see why everybody is "oohing and ahhing" at the big bug. Amber Hulks have been a thing for years and for a company that formerly claimed they needed no outside sources for their designs it seems awfully derivative. So consider me not impressed it's a gorgeus paint job compared with the average Amber Hulk online tho.

M.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 am

*shrug* I'm "oohing and aahing" because it's an extremely cool-looking model and a confirmed expansion for a game I like. Whether or not it's derivative (and, yeah, the Ambull first appeared in Rogue Trader, in which literally *everything* is cribbed from something or other, as an excuse to use the writer's Umber Hulk model) is irrelevant to me.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 am

I love the monster in the 1st pic. And adding a single character to my Ad Mech would be a delight. Lots of character in these models.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:26 am

Just looking over the other pictures in ToD's link above.
The CSM Chaplain looks ace, lots of burny fire stuff. 'See how you like it Imperial scum!'
The Ambots look great, I thought they'd be FW resin but they're listed as plastic kits. Oooh. All of the new GSC models look good, but I still think the female magus is the best of the bunch. The Carrion Empire box looks to have some fancy toys in it. Back before GW nuked the old world, I had thought about getting some of those Rat Ogre Death-bot things.
And from the LotR set, Gimli looks great, Aragon looks ok and Legolas looks... REDACTED-REDACTED-REDACTED

So aside from -REDACTED- GW is continuing to produce fantastic looking models. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 am

Yeah, for some reason they’ve actually had a couple dud Legolas face models in a row. Maybe it’s hard (or at least hard for whichever sculptor is in charge of Orlando Bloom) to do good likenesses of real people in CAD?

Very surprised here too that the Ambots are plastic and not resin. I’ve seen people suggest an easy mega-nob conversion, and I’m seriously considering how they’d look for proxy Kastelans, since I hate the heads on those dudes.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm loving the GSC stuff. If they were to do some kind of 40k version of Shadespire, I'd be all over GSC like...crawly things on an ambull.

Speaking of which, yeah, sure - why not? It's a nice big gribbly, doesnt look much like stuff GW have done before (except, y'know, the original one), and I'm all in favour of broadening the universe by adding little one-off models. It gets the thumbs-up from me.

As for LoTR stuff, I do rather feel like the intern gets those quite often. Which is a shame, but since theyre doing so well with 40k/AoS stuff recently, I'll forgive em.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:00 am

me_in_japan wrote:I'm loving the GSC stuff. If they were to do some kind of 40k version of Shadespire, I'd be all over GSC like...crawly things on an ambull.
They're claiming the new Arena expansion will make for a Shadespire-like tight gaming experience, but (considering the pretty loose, 40K-ish way the rules in the core book work) I'm not optimistic.

That said, between these releases (the lady Magus especially) and the half of the Tooth and Claw box set I promised to split with an acquaintance, my GSC kill team is going to be pretty set.
-----

Return to “Games Workshop”