Where do you buy your GW stuff in Nagoya?

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Where do you buy your GW stuff in Nagoya?

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Looks like I have a bunch of Warcry stuff to buy in a couple of weeks, but I have no idea where to do it.

I've been happily paying the GW tax for a while because I had a good store in walking distance, and I can imagine using the Osaka store as an excuse to eat kushikatsu every now and again, but I don't feel the same sentimentality for their website :D

Is there any bricks and mortar shops in Nagoya that could use support? Do you folks just hit amazon.co.jp?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Where do you buy your GW stuff in Nagoya?

Post by Primarch » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:09 pm

In Nagoya there are a couple of options. Joshin Kids Land in Osu has a reasonable amount of stock, and I think Yellow Submarine carries some minis and paints.
There is another shop just out of town called Maruhen, but I've never been there myself.
Aside from that, I usually use http://www.ring-tail.com/shop-index.php?La=E
They're based in Kyushu, but they deliver for free if you spend over 10000 yen. The owner is very helpful if you have any questions or want to specify the delivery time.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Yodobashi Camera in Sakae also has a nice big selection (along with some actual English-language stuff) and a 10% point card to boot. That and Joshin (which also has a point card) are probably your best brick-and-mortar stores in town in terms of on-the-shelf selection, although I don't know if they'd order stuff for you and they're not FLGS's in terms of play support. Yellow Submarine will order in for you, I think, and one of our local members is trying to organize Kill Team events there, although all their game tables are currently given over to card games as it stands, but their actual selection is much thinner than either Yodobashi or Joshin. All three shops don't have any discount beyond the point cards.

The other shop Primarch was thinking of is Meruhen (http://midoriku-style.info/archives/422), and it's probably your best bet in public-transport-accessible Nagoya if you want to actually order stuff instead of hoping for the best with what's in stock - they also have a 20% discount, I believe. Their stock on the shelves is not fantastic, though.

If you have transportation options to get a bit further afield, Plamojuku (http://gorakuou.net/blog/index.php) is a tiny little shop up in Ichinomiya (although he's opening a second shop closer to Gifu station, I believe) that doesn't really carry stock on the shelves but will order in for you at a discount, and is actually proactive about supporting gaming in the store - I'm part of a small but very enthusiastic gaming club based in the store.

That said, I'll endorse Ring Tail too if you want to mail order. Good guy, and you can even pay by bank transfer or COD if you like cash.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 pm
If you have transportation options to get a bit further afield, Plamojuku (http://gorakuou.net/blog/index.php) is a tiny little shop up in Ichinomiya (although he's opening a second shop closer to Gifu station, I believe) that doesn't really carry stock on the shelves but will order in for you at a discount, and is actually proactive about supporting gaming in the store - I'm part of a small but very enthusiastic gaming club based in the store.
We just got a place in Inazawa, that looks pretty reasonable actually - how often does the club meet?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:06 am

Usually the first Sunday, and the second and fourth Saturdays, of each month. Let me know if you plan to go and I'll give them a heads up. :)
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 am

I made it out to Plamojuku - it's not too bad from Inazawa station, though the walk from Iwato to the store was a bit rough in the heat, and a bit surreal (going past rice fields to reach a game store!). The owner hooked me up with an order and suggested I come back next week for Warcry.

Yodabashi did have a good selection of stuff, but I think we're racking up more points with Joshin - which Joshin stores have GW stock?

Hoping to check out the rest of the recommendations soon.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 am

As far as I know, just Kid's Land in Osu has GW in stock - it's a relatively recent addition with them, with GW's reinvigorated push into the Japanese market.

Also if you're looking for Vallejo paint (or creepy dead-eyed ball joint dolls) Volk's, just down the street from Joshin, carries it.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:37 am

I went out to Plamojuku today and managed to play a lot of Warcry. The guys there were very cool and patient with my shaky 日本語 - it helped that the only really difficult thing is the battleplan cards, and that was just a matter of finding the corresponding english card if I couldn't parse the Japanese one.

I did feel like a bit of a jerk playing with my unpainted AoS factions when everyone else had beautifully painted Chaos warbands ^_^

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:54 am

Nice, glad you got the chance to get out there! They're a great bunch of guys. Hopefully I'll see you there at some point - I usually just get up to the "Sundayhammer" meetings on the first Sunday each month.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

Months later I remembered the ring-tail osusume in this thread, and found they had a few things in stock that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get during the GW lockdown. Belated thanks for that tip!

Now I just need to stop panic-buying plastic 😅

Return to “Games Workshop”