Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:21 am

People are defending the app? :lol: That's crazygonuts.

Yeah, I can certainly see using points in regular Matched Play games of 40K, since you can actually fiddle with unit loadouts to meet a points limit, but OTOH I'm pretty much just interested in focusing on Crusade. :D
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:36 am

I'm a little concerned that if you have to reserve PL then summoning may not actually be any more useful than just starting the demons on the table 🤔 Happy for you to try it however you like though.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:36 am
I'm a little concerned that if you have to reserve PL then summoning may not actually be any more useful than just starting the demons on the table 🤔 Happy for you to try it however you like though.
At Combat Patrol anyway, you're limited to one detachment and including daemons would break my faction bonuses since they're not Death Guard. At 50PL I could technically include a second daemonic detachment, and get the daemonic detachment bonuses, ObSec, and so on, and probably come out even on CP - with a patrol costing 2CP, it basically pays for itself compared to the CP I'd spend on safe summoning. (Although I don't currently have any spare supply limit either.) It's true this probably does make taking daemons at all a non-optimal choice, but it is a fluffy one, and there's at least one trick I want to try that could be actually useful (specifically, summoning a Poxbringer with the "heal a daemon" psychic power to keep the bloat-drone topped off - whether that's *more* useful than 10 poxwalkers remains to be seen).

Eh, it's a conundrum! I'd rather err on the side of "weak for me" than "unfun for others" though.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:05 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 am
Eh, it's a conundrum! I'd rather err on the side of "weak for me" than "unfun for others" though.
We can always consider a houserule like letting you *resummon* destroyed demons if it doesn't seem like you're getting value for your PL. I think we can be pretty free with house rules that affect the game on the day but not the Crusade.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:34 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:05 am
The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 am
We can always consider a houserule like letting you *resummon* destroyed demons if it doesn't seem like you're getting value for your PL. I think we can be pretty free with house rules that affect the game on the day but not the Crusade.
There’s definitely room for fiddling! Starting with “set aside PL for a daemon pool” seems a reasonable baseline though.
-----

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am

Karantu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Edit: I like the summoning system in AoS and they should eventually adapt it to 40k but I guess they're too busy for that.
Out of curiosity, what is the AoS summoning system? I don't play AoS but I've heard people say good things about summoning before.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:57 am

Mattb wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am
Karantu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Edit: I like the summoning system in AoS and they should eventually adapt it to 40k but I guess they're too busy for that.
Out of curiosity, what is the AoS summoning system? I don't play AoS but I've heard people say good things about summoning before.
Each faction has their own thematic system for summoning that does not cost army building points.
For Maggotkin of Nurgle, you get Contagion points for controlling the battlefield which lets you summon stuff.
For Khorne, each unit (both enemy and ally) slain gives you one Blood Tithe point which lets you do various things including summoning.
For Tzeentch, any spells casts in the game give you Fate points which you can spend to summon.
For Seraphon, each Slaan can forgo casting a spell per turn to earn summoning points which lets you summon in units.

There are other factions that summon stuff too but those are some examples.
edit: Here's a writeup from 1d4chan.
Summon Daemons of Nurgle: Gone are the days of any CHAOS WIZARD summoning hordes of NURGLE DAEMONS to join their ranks and instead there is a new system: collecting and spending contagion points as a Nurgle army.

In each of your hero phases a NURGLE army collects contagion points in the following ways:

Any friendly NURGLE models in your own territory nets you 3 points a turn.
Any friendly NURGLE models in your opponent's territory nets you an additional 3 points a turn.
Being free of enemy models in a territory nets you an addition 1 point for that territory.
Each Feculant Gnarlmaw nets you an additional D3 points if there are no enemy models within 3" of it.

Right off the bat, you will most likely be earning 3 or 4 +D3 contagion points for having no enemies in your territory - you are buying that Gnarlmaw, aren't you? (although if the enemy takes the first turn there's a fair chance they will be in your territory, depending on mission map). Coming as no surprise, different abilities will allow you to earn more contagion points during a turn. Some heroes (such as the Lord of Plagues or Epidemius) have been reworked to play into this.

To summon the daemons, all you have to do is look it up in the list and deduct its cost from your total points; unlike Khorne's Blood Tithe, you will be able to keep what you don't spend. There's no cast roll required, just place the summoned unit within 12" of a Gnarlmaw or NURGLE HERO and more than 9" from any enemies. Note that this list contains units in different sizes (Plaguebearers come in 5, 10, or 20), includes nearly all of Nurgle's daemons from Nurglings to a Great Unclean One (sadly no Soulgrinder, boo), and includes new Gnarlmaws (at the cost of Nurgle's favorite number).

Lastly, don't forget that placing new units will cost reinforcement points in Matched Play, though you'll be happy to know the Gnarlmaws only cost contagion points (because you didn't already buy/converted 7, did you?). Yeah, forget that. Age of Sigmar Second Edition baby! No more reinforcement points needed for summoning. This makes contagion points (and Gnarlmaws) much more important.

Contagion points can be used to summon Daemons of Nurgle From The List Below:

1 Great Unclean One : 28 Contagion points
1 Horticulous Slimux : 21 Contagion points
3 Plague Drones : 21 Contagion points
20 Plaguebearers : 21 Contagion points
1 Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle : 14 Contagion points
1 Sloppity Bilepiper, Herald of Nurgle : 14 Contagion points
1 Spoilpox Scrivener, Herald of Nurgle : 14 Contagion points
10 Plaguebearers : 14 Contagion points
1 Beast of Nurgle: 14 Contagion points
3 Nurgling bases : 14 Contagion points
5 Plaguebearers : 7 Contagion points
1 Nurgling base : 7 Contagion points
1 Feculent Gnarlmaw : 7 Contagion points
You could try just using that system straight up instead of reserving PL for them. I think it's a happy medium. You probably need them in your Order of Battle first though I guess?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:09 am

Any interest in some TTS Crusade games over the long weekend? I have a great hunger for RP, and my Exorcist clearly needs all the XP it can get.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:09 am
Any interest in some TTS Crusade games over the long weekend? I have a great hunger for RP, and my Exorcist clearly needs all the XP it can get.
I'm interested. I still haven't gotten a chance to play any 9th ( or any 40k since the pandemic) so I'd love some experience for myself and my army.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Karantu wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 am
I'm interested. I still haven't gotten a chance to play any 9th ( or any 40k since the pandemic) so I'd love some experience for myself and my army.
Sweet. I have a bad feeling how that will go for me given the drones I've seen pop up on Twitter but should be some good games :lol:

Return to “Games Workshop”