Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:35 am

Actually feeling OK about Drones now - they're just as annoying as ever but having lots of little units around is pretty good for XP!

Karantu and I knocked out a game over TTS in about two hours, which wasn't bad considering setup and how slowly and painfully I move models around in the 3D space. I think you'd end up averaging about the same number of games as you would in real life given familiarity with the app, given none of the setup/travel time counterweighting the slight awkwardness of the 3D space.

Sadly the Tau fell victim to the dice pendulum swinging back for the Sisters from their brush with the Deathguard, including them getting first turn and actually killing things on it. From there it was exactly the sort of attrition game that suits Valorous Heart and while Karantu was able to hit the forward sqaud of Sisters pretty hard, they were able to hang on while the rest of the army came up behind them. We went home with the supplies this time.

Thanks for the game @Karantu! Looking foward to your revenge.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 am

Hmm, power levels update is due this week - let's see how much it messes with all our rosters. :lol:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 am

Power Up (and Down)
If you’re a Warhammer 40,000 fan eager to kick off your Crusade force, we have good news – this week will bring updated Power Levels for every unit in the game! Keep an eye out for them in the week – we’ll also be making them available in Warhammer 40,000: The App very soon.
The article makes it sound like we'll be getting them outside of the app this week (sounds like sometime during the week?) and on the app after this week? Which means that they might miss the the deadline they promised for updating power levels on their app.... I'm speechless.

Anyway, hopefully they give us all the power levels for free and we can adjust our crusade rosters after that.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:24 pm

The update is out.

I summarized the changes for the current Crusade rosters:
(The number in brackets is the new total)

Me: Tau Mal'el Sept: -2 (48)
Dave: The Dusk Raiders: -8 (54)
Daemonic Hordes: -2 (15)
Jye: Daughters of Russ: +2 (27)
Orders of the Sanguine Halo: +4 (29)
Matt: The 82nd Tarsonian Ashwalkers & the 512th Tarsonian Armoured: +5 (57)
Balloonacorn: Indentured Souls: +6 (55)

I might have missed some but here are changes I noticed.

Me: The Cadre Fireblade increase is a bit weird but the other two drops make sense. Riptides went up on the other hand as have some other units I was looking at adding. On the other hand Crisis Suits went down to 9 from 12 so you might actually see some on the table.
Cadre Fireblade 2 to 3
Ghostkeel 10 to 9
Stealth Team 6 to 5

Dave: Most of the changes seem sensible. There's probably quite a few of them since Deathguard were an early 8th codex.
Unit 1: Pastus the Impure (Malignant Plaguecaster): 6 to 5
Unit 2: Gurloch Thrax (Lord of Contagion): 7 to 6
Unit 3: Bubox's Plague Marines: 10 to 8
Unit 4: Gangrous' Plague Marines: 7 to 6
Unit 8: G'zoethl (Foetid Bloat Drone): 8 to 7
Unit 9: Ulth'shog (Mephitic Blight Hauler): 7 to 5
Unit 11: The Soresour Howlers (Plaguebearers): 4 to 5
Unit 12: The Ceaseless, Infernal Gibbering (Nurglings): 3 to 2
Unit 13: The Plaguethane Flitters (Plague Drones ): 6 to 4

Jye: Again the changes seem to make sense. Not sure if the Ragnar nerf is enough though...
Jarl Sangrior (Ragnar Blackmane) PL 6 to 7
Verdandi Impulsor, PL 6 to 7
Imagifier Himiko Immacea PL 2 to 3
Battle Squad Saberine PL 6 to 7
Celestian Squad Decata PL 6 to 7
Benevolent Exegesis, Exorcist, PL 8 to 9

Matt: The changes to the vehicles makes sense but the change to the Psykers seems a bit much. Given that other support characters have gone up too it feels like they were victim to one of GW's lazy formulae.
++1 to 2 PL++ Sanctioned Psyker Adept Damas Astropath, Psychic Barrier
++1 to 2 PL++ Sanctioned Psyker Adept Liras Astropath, Nightshroud
++1 to 2 PL++ Sanctioned Psyker Adept Karsk Astropath, Psychic Maelstrom
++6 to 7 PL++ Sludgethrower Banewolf
++10 to 11 PL++ Ol' Reliable Leman Russ Battle Tank

Balloonacorn: The Warsuit going up makes sense since its a vehicle but the Captain going up is kind of odd. The Reivers probably went up to bring them in line with the other Primaris infantry.
The Umbral Shadow - Primaris Chaplain [4 to 5]
The Sharpened Beak - 5 Reivers [4 to 5]
The Stained Beak - 10 Reivers [8 to 10]
Nevermore - Invictus Tactical Warsuit [6 to 8]

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Yeah, it definitely seems like a "first units ever to get a power rating" issue for me - a little bit of breathing room, to be sure.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 pm

I can't say I'm too happy about the Russ. It was already hard to justify before and now...

Although I'm mostly annoyed about other things - veterans staying 5PL even though they don't come close to competing with other 5PL infantry, conscripts being 5PL in an edition with blast rules is insane and the Wyvern... I just finished painting mine and now I really don't think it's worth it. :(

Though the model is nice so maybe it's worth it just for that. :lol:

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 am

Mattb wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 pm
I can't say I'm too happy about the Russ. It was already hard to justify before and now...

Although I'm mostly annoyed about other things - veterans staying 5PL even though they don't come close to competing with other 5PL infantry, conscripts being 5PL in an edition with blast rules is insane and the Wyvern... I just finished painting mine and now I really don't think it's worth it. :(

Though the model is nice so maybe it's worth it just for that. :lol:
Most Vehicles got an increase and even a lot of other units got increases so you need can't really look at your faction in isolation but instead relative to how other factions changed. Our group's current rosters probably aren't the best samples since Dave and I had armies that were overcosted in PL but if you look at the changes to Jye's and Balloonacorn's armies you can see more typical changes. Especially since they both have vehicles in their rosters. Other that the change to the Psykers being multiplied by the fact that you have 3 it's probably not too bad overall.

Extremely low cost models like Conscripts, Chaos Cultists, and Ork grots did suffer a lot from some unwarranted points increases in 9th so the PL is just reflecting that now. Hopefully they fine tune things like that properly down the line.

Also you can't go wrong with the rule of cool. The most important part is that you have fun.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 am

It's awkward for me because I was trying to do multiple factions at 25pl each so obviously I was setting myself up for trouble :lol: Can't really complain about the changes themselves, but I'll probably have to spend a bit on diversifying the Wolves and Sisters before adding the Scythes.

I definitely need to give myself options to ratchet up and down the competiveness of the lists anyway - I was going to use the Reivers and Hellblasters I bought from Dave to have a gentler option but I probably need to have non-Ragnar lists for Wolves*. Dropping the Fenrisian Wolves to make up the 2PL would have made zero difference to the games so far.

*Also to stop Jarl Sangrior stealing the XP

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 am

Karantu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 am
Most Vehicles got an increase and even a lot of other units got increases so you need can't really look at your faction in isolation but instead relative to how other factions changed. Our group's current rosters probably aren't the best samples since Dave and I had armies that were overcosted in PL but if you look at the changes to Jye's and Balloonacorn's armies you can see more typical changes. Especially since they both have vehicles in their rosters. Other that the change to the Psykers being multiplied by the fact that you have 3 it's probably not too bad overall.
Oh sure, I just think the Russ was already overcosted to begin with. I just think leaving it as is - or nerfing the tank commander - would've been a good chance to make it more viable. I'm not bothered by the psykers though - I think I'll probably drop them in order to make room for my vehicles.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:28 pm

We knocked out another TTS game tonight - Karantu had the bad luck to *not quite* knock my Warlord off after I mispositioned her, after which it was unfortunately for him a melee game.

Apart from the sort of fine positioning I *want* to do for melee/auras etc being a pain, it's really quite snappy to play, good option for between game days or Covid time.

Return to “Games Workshop”