Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Anyone else interested in running a 40k campaign?

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:20 am

I know I'm late to the party (but at least only one game day late) but I'd be interested in joining a campaign. I've never been in one myself, so you might need to explain everything to me, but it seems cool.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:18 pm

Its not really a traditional campaign, more like a thematic backdrop to our 40k games.
That being said I was a bit too preoccupied last gameday to gather information to write anything up. Everyone is probably too busy worrying about Nagoyahammer anyway so I might put this project on the back burner for now.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 am

So, with Crusade on the way, maybe it's time to think about using this framework to give our games a setting? We might even think about a campaign sub-forum where we can post our warband / army backgrounds, victories and defeats and such.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:18 am

Agreed. I don't wan't to set the bar too high to participate and I've been thinking about how to run it without making it too complicated but the best way to start is by starting so let's do this. We should be able to start playing Crusade games starting next game day so if everyone who wants to try it out could make a roster and catch up on 9th's core rules we should be good to go.

We could use this thread as a general Q&A and discussion thread so if anyone needs helps with anything, feel free to ask here. I'll create a new thread for rosters and maybe even one for monthly updates/after-action reports.

Resources:
I personally like Winters SEO's content and he has been covering the new rules changes. Here are some I'd recommend for certain topics. The video on terrain has some visual examples which are pretty helpful. If you have the time MiniWargaming's battle report was relatively informative too. It has a few practical examples of some of the changes in 9th.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 pm

Hey guys, I'd be really keen to try a campaign as well - I've always enjoyed adding a narrative aspect to games and the new crusade rules look really interesting. What size list should I make though?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 am

Mattb wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 pm
Hey guys, I'd be really keen to try a campaign as well - I've always enjoyed adding a narrative aspect to games and the new crusade rules look really interesting. What size list should I make though?
The Crusade rules start you off with a 50PL force (and 5 Requisition points to be spent on various upgrades, like warlord traits, relics, upgrade strats, and +5PL to your roster size).

Before the game you make a list from your roster of the appropriate size for the game. We will almost certainly start with 25PL games, though there's nothing stopping us doing 50PL games on the first day too.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 am

Mattb wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 pm
You can check out the lists we've posted here.
One way of going about it would be to make a 50PL roster out of two 25PL lists that could also be used together in 50PL games. Jye's list is a good example of this since its made up of two different factions.
Another way of doing it would be to have a fixed core with multiple optional units you could swap out depending on what you want to want to field.

Since the rules are officially out yet it might be a bit difficult to figure out the requisition points system and stuff but if you need any help with it feel free to ask here. If you can figure out our 50 PL list and which units you want to give warlord traits/relics/stragetem upgrades to, I can help you figure out how many RP you need to spend to achieve that in the Crusade system.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks guys! I managed to find all of the Crusade rules (apparently there was a leak) so I'll read through them and try to write up a list.

Although I'm not very good at the game at all, so you guys can definitely look forward to getting some free experience points from me! :D

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:51 am

Mattb wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 am
Although I'm not very good at the game at all, so you guys can definitely look forward to getting some free experience points from me! :D
You say that but I think we have a rude shock in store as to how many tanks you can fit in 50PL 😅

Good news is win or lose there's substantial progression for anyone, so no real need to sweat the W/L rate. And if anyone "gets ahead" they just start granting you CP anyway!

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:05 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:51 am
You say that but I think we have a rude shock in store as to how many tanks you can fit in 50PL 😅
Not that many, unfortunately. :(
A Russ is 10 power and they're pretty much garbage, while the tank commander is 12 power - for 3 extra you can get a repulser executioner! So I'll mostly have to rely on infantry which will just get mulched into free experience. :lol:

But I'm ok with that! I think it'll be a really fun system to try out and experience even if I lose every game. I also love adding background to games so always wanted to play a narrative campaign.

Return to “Games Workshop”