9th edition is on the way!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: 9th edition is on the way!

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:34 am

Yeah, I'm for picking - it'd be not great to get, like, a to-hit reroll for something armed only with flame weapons or something.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am

Sure, as long as we're all on the same page.

jus

Post by jus » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 pm

Question on mixing detachments in a Battle forged army:

Say for instance I wanted to add a combat patrol of white scars to my battalion of Ultramarines. Would that be kosher in a Battleforged army? They still share the IMPERIUM, ASTARTES key words but would they each still retain their respective chapter tactics e.t.c?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 am

jus wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Question on mixing detachments in a Battle forged army:

Say for instance I wanted to add a combat patrol of white scars to my battalion of Ultramarines. Would that be kosher in a Battleforged army? They still share the IMPERIUM, ASTARTES key words but would they each still retain their respective chapter tactics e.t.c?
Yes, they'd keep their chapter tactics, strategems etc, and because every model in your army is a space marine they'd keep Combat Doctrines. However they would lose their chapter specific doctrine bonuses.

I will very likely field Space Wolves and Sisters together like this, in which case they would lose both Combat Doctrines (as well as the Space Wolf bonus to Assault Doctrine) and Sacred Rites, both of which require your army to be all marines or all Sisters respectively. But I'd keep the basic Space Wolf and Valorous Heart bonuses, as well as access to all strategems of both forces.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:01 am

Also keep in mind that in 9th it will cost CP to field additional detachments. Having a total of two detachments at around 1000+ points shouldn't be a huge deal though.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm

The more I see about the new edition, the more interested I become*....

The campaign stuff is particularly interesting. I just wish they'd bitten the bullet and moved on from igougo to alternating activation or random activation (BA-style), but maybe it's just not 40k if you can't alpha strike your opponent into oblivion on turn one?

*the marketing is obviously working then!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:42 pm

YellowStreak wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm
The more I see about the new edition, the more interested I become*....

The campaign stuff is particularly interesting. I just wish they'd bitten the bullet and moved on from igougo to alternating activation or random activation (BA-style), but maybe it's just not 40k if you can't alpha strike your opponent into oblivion on turn one?

*the marketing is obviously working then!
They're bound to be somewhat conservative, especially with the flagship; 8th was a pretty big change so it's mostly just refinements to the core rules. Crusade looks like a real game changer as an overlay though!

Theoretically terrain (and maybe Strategic reserves) will make the difference on the alpha strike stuff. This is why I grabbed a bunch of munitorum containers and the Warcry terrain, I'm really looking for stuff that can block LOS but is still reasonable to carry to Higashi Betsuin or wherever.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:05 am

Apparently the new Chapter Approved book will contain all the rules for matched play, including the terrain rules. So if you don't care about Crusade and just want to play matched play, you don't need to get the core book.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:33 pm

By the way, I just noticed the basic rules are available for download in English, Japanese and other languages.

https://warhammer40000.com/wp-content/ ... _Rules.pdf

https://warhammer40000.com/wp-content/u ... Rules1.pdf

https://warhammer40000.com/rules/
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:26 pm

So the app is available, small hiccup though... I'm going to checkout the free version while they fix that.
Edit: There's nothing to check out in the free version. The list builder isn't even available yet. It sounded like they were running behind with development of the app and unfortunately I guess I was right.

Return to “Games Workshop”