9th edition is on the way!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: 9th edition is on the way!

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 am
Would it be that the full 50PL roster wouldn't necessarily need to follow a force org chart? Although I suppose it would be useful to have an eye on one for if you do want to play larger games.
Force Org should only be for mustered armies, AFAICT.
Since Crusade will be using Narrative rules, presumably daemon summoning would as well, and I wouldn't need to set aside points for it? (This probably comes down to "wait til the rulebook comes out", of course.) Would summoned daemons (as opposed to daemons fielded with their own detachment) be on your force org chart? That's probably a full-on edge / between the cracks case, though. (Basically, I like the look of the psyker-focused plague company, which also has some rules that make using summoning potentially tempting.)
Based on the Crusade Appendix, you add summoned models to your army but not to your Order of Battle, so they won't gain XP or any other Crusade upgrades. Other than that they should follow normal Narrative rules, and we're not even using points for you to set aside any :lol:

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:51 am

Guess I'm getting a box or two of plagubearers then. :lol: With the plague company rules, I can basically spend a CP to automatically summon 8PL worth of daemons risk-free, so... (This is how they get ya!)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:51 am
Guess I'm getting a box or two of plagubearers then. :lol: With the plague company rules, I can basically spend a CP to automatically summon 8PL worth of daemons risk-free, so... (This is how they get ya!)
Granted I don't play 40K at the moment, but that sounds kind of broken. Summoning hordes of free daemons was a major complaint in 7th ed.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:07 am

Primarch wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 am
Granted I don't play 40K at the moment, but that sounds kind of broken. Summoning hordes of free daemons was a major complaint in 7th ed.
You can't do it in Matched Play (it's borderline useless since you pay full price but have to screw around to get them on the board, at least that's how it worked in 8th and I don't think it changed).

We'll have to see how it goes in Narrative. Worst comes to worst the rest of us switch to Grey Knights.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am

Or I just stop doing it. :lol:
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 am

And this is why Narrative play is relatively unpopular. It requires a bit of restraint as well some understanding that games are not going to be balanced and that you might have to face some unreasonable odds sometimes. So as appealing as crusade sounds matched play is probably going to be the staple game mode once everyone catches up with the changes and gets all their rule books/lists sorted.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:23 am

Well for the most part I'd rather lose and get XP/RP than play tournament style without persistence and win 🤷

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 am

*shrug* I guess playing a bunch of WarCry lately has made me realize I vastly prefer a quick-to-play, quick-to-set-up game and finding the fun in the occasional uneven matchup to chasing the brass ring of perfect balance. :P Diff'rent strokes and all that! Crusade might not be for you, and matched play might not be for me.

fake edit: Jye replied before me. :lol:
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:44 am

Oh, sorry I didn't mean that I wasn't going to play Crusade. I meant that Narrative is probably never going to be "balanced" and we need to understand that before we build lists that'll be fun for us and our opponents and play with a suitable mindset. Its just that in the 40k community as a whole, matched play is still going to tend to be more popular since its easier to play it against strangers while still having fun.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 am

I think structurally Crusade has the legs to push back on the all Matched Play all the time phenomenon. But I'm not sure how it will go if it doesn't get a LOT of mission support - you could houserule a Crusade victory bonus for other missions I guess? Have Agendas AND secondaries?

Return to “Games Workshop”